TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood pins at 130mph!

Was wondering how you feel about your Shelby hood pins on SS hoods at 130mph. When I installed my hood pins, I was disappointed to find that the compression design of the pins is nothing more than a friction fit. Not a true rivet feature at all with no expanding rivet material on the underside. If you take the pin and wiggle it a bit, you can pull the whole pin right out. I know from experience! Some have taken their front facia off in order to gain access and put a nut and washer on the underside as well to secure the pins. This seems like the best method, but not that easy to do. So the question is, at 130mph with the fiberglass hood starting to flutter, how much do you trust your hood pins?

Was wondering how you feel about your Shelby hood pins on SS hoods at 130mph. When I installed my hood pins, I was disappointed to find that the compression design of the pins is nothing more than a friction fit. Not a true rivet feature at all with no expanding rivet material on the underside. If you take the pin and wiggle it a bit, you can pull the whole pin right out. I know from experience! Some have taken their front facia off in order to gain access and put a nut and washer on the underside as well to secure the pins. This seems like the best method, but not that easy to do. So the question is, at 130mph with the fiberglass hood starting to flutter, how much do you trust your hood pins?

If the hood pins were the only way that the Super Snake hood was secured to the car up front, I would be concerned, but since the originall OEM latch/catch assy. is the primary secure point, I would think that there shouldn't be an issue. Someone who would know best would be Van (Revan Racing), since he pulled a Super Snake to 200+ mph.

There was also no mention of hood pin issues when top speed runs were tested by early Super Snake owners to the 160-170 mph range a few years ago.

I personally like the billet hood pin plates for a more secure fit..........

R

The pins are for decoration, its the OEM latch thats holding the hood down.

The pin design frankly is disappointing, the setup on the KR cars looked superior to what is used today.

I was disappointed too. That is why I went this direction...........

034-1.jpg

Actually it first started here...............

011-2.jpg

R

Robert, I really like your hood pin idea. Where did you get these and how did you attach them to your glass hood? Also, the font looks differerent before the letters were painted black. This is something I desperately want to do. I agree with everybody else on here, for the price of an SS, they could have done a better job with the hood pin. Thanks.

Thanks Robert, I have the same billet set up. I do think the pins are for more than just decorations though. These hoods really start to flutter at high speeds and the pins do seem to help. My concern is the weak attachment they have to the radiator support and the fact that you can wiggle them right out. I'm concerned that fluttering of the hood at high speeds could also wiggle them out. I really like the nut and washer set up used by some and will probably do that in the near future.

Robert, I really like your hood pin idea. Where did you get these and how did you attach them to your glass hood? Also, the font looks differerent before the letters were painted black. This is something I desperately want to do. I agree with everybody else on here, for the price of an SS, they could have done a better job with the hood pin. Thanks.

I bought the plain billet hood pin set and had a friend of mine engrave the plates shown in the second picture. <<That was my first Super Snake hood pin upgrade attempt, those are the outlined letters. The first picture above is of the Very Hard to find Super Snake hood pins that were originally planned for production, but in the end never came to be. There were a few sets that were "samples".......this is one of those sets.

R

R:

Lucky you. I'll keep looking for something that'll work. I've emailed Champion Mustang to see if they have any ideas. They have billet ones but are supposed to be only good on earlier years. Thanks for your input though as always.

Kevin

R:

Lucky you. I'll keep looking for something that'll work. I've emailed Champion Mustang to see if they have any ideas. They have billet ones but are supposed to be only good on earlier years. Thanks for your input though as always.

Kevin

That is another question.............Is the hood contour of the 2010-up too much for use of these billet plates?

R

That is another question.............Is the hood contour of the 2010-up too much for use of these billet plates?

R

I'm still waiting on confirmation of this also as I would love to change mine out to a more stable set that doesn't move around. But for the OP, I have been 140+ in mine with the factory SuperSnake hood pins and didn't notice any incident with them.

• 2 weeks later...

R

Blackout bought a set for his car. I was offering to help him install them but his '12 SS is for sale now, with the pins included on the side so I won't have the opportunity to see for myself.

The hood profile *shouldn't* be so different but they do call the '10+ hood a "power dome" hood so.........<???SHRUG???>

It appears to be domed in the middle but the section above the radiator support looks pretty close to the earlier models.

Phill

What Blackout is selling his SuperSnake?? I thought he just got it, hm well I hate to hear but i'm sure there's a good reason behind it. I wonder if he'd be willing to sell those hood pins ala cart. I'd definitely be interested in trying them on mine or could just get from the source.

What Blackout is selling his SuperSnake?? I thought he just got it, hm well I hate to hear but i'm sure there's a good reason behind it. I wonder if he'd be willing to sell those hood pins ala cart. I'd definitely be interested in trying them on mine or could just get from the source.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76021-2012-shelby-gt500-super-snake-black-on-black/

Phill

Archived