TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fuel rails for 2012 SS

This is probably a really dumb question, but how do I know if my 2012 SS has the anodized Shelby fuel rails installed by SA when they made it into an SS. I have looked at my invoice and it isn't listed at all but I've found that doesn't necessarily mean things weren't installed. I really like the blue fuel rails on SPP and will buy them if I don't have them already. Thanks folks for your help.

This is probably a really dumb question, but how do I know if my 2012 SS has the anodized Shelby fuel rails installed by SA when they made it into an SS. I have looked at my invoice and it isn't listed at all but I've found that doesn't necessarily mean things weren't installed. I really like the blue fuel rails on SPP and will buy them if I don't have them already. Thanks folks for your help.

Pictured below is the natural aluminum colored set. If they are on your car, there will be one mounted on each side of the blower.

Picture1921.jpg

The black A-N fittings and black braided hose is something I put together for mine, and is not part of the Shelby fuel rail kit.

If your car did not have the rails installed as a Super Snake upgrade option, the rails (as you know) are just over $300. The inlet fitting shown above (shaped like a "J") top right is also available from SPP for $50. The rest of the install pieces...............you are on your own. I have approx. $100-$125 in all of the other A-N plumbing shown above, o-ring fittings, o-ring plug, hose ends, black braided hose, etc. By the time you completely install these rails with A-N hardware, you will be in the $450-$500 range.

I have not installed mine yet, and I have heard that the straight fittings on the rear of my fuel rails will either need to be 60 or 90 degree instead of straight. The black braided hose and straight fittings were actually for my 3.6LC plumbing, and they just happen to also fit the fuel rail fittings.

R

Pictured below is the natural aluminum colored set. If they are on your car, there will be one mounted on each side of the blower.

The black A-N fittings and black braided hose is something I put together for mine, and is not part of the Shelby fuel rail kit.

If your car did not have the rails installed as a Super Snake upgrade option, the rails (as you know) are just over $300. The inlet fitting shown above (shaped like a "J") top right is also available from SPP for $50. The rest of the install pieces...............you are on your own. I have approx. $100-$125 in all of the other A-N plumbing shown above, o-ring fittings, o-ring plug, hose ends, black braided hose, etc. By the time you completely install these rails with A-N hardware, you will be in the $450-$500 range.

I have not installed mine yet, and I have heard that the straight fittings on the rear of my fuel rails will either need to be 60 or 90 degree instead of straight. The black braided hose and straight fittings were actually for my 3.6LC plumbing, and they just happen to also fit the fuel rail fittings.

I have the same fuel rails Robert has and the only reason I haven't put them on is because I haven't ordered all of the associated AN fittings yet. Like R said, I'll use 90d fittings and route the hose around the back of my blower instead of over the top.

I really wish they had the blue available when i got mine because they would go better with my car and engine compartment.

You don't have them if they're not on the order form. They aren't a standard or option on the SS so you would'a had to order them separately and the Speed Shop would have put them on.

Phill

Go with the clear satin anodized "SHELBY" logo rails. They look sweet.

However, I noticed and worth investigating, the Shelby Store has them part # S7M-9593-C

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT500-High-Performance-Fuel-Rail-p/s7m-9593-c.htm

It looks like it is laser etched engraved "SHELBY GT500"

The set pictured @ lethal performance: part # S7M-9593

NO "-C".

laser etched engraved "SHELBY" with NO GT500

http://www.lethalperformance.com/shelby-07-2012-gt500-high-performance-fuel-rail-kit.html

I have the billet black anodized FORE Precision fuel rails.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/31986-new-fore-precision-works-gt500-high-flow-fuel-rails/

FORE Precision Works unfortunately is out of business.

Thanks to Alex (vapor08GT500) Mackenzie Mustang www.mackenziemustang.com

Check out pics in post # 55 & 56

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/57401-dbackgs-super-snake-vert-upgrades/page__st__40__p__984547#entry984547

Go with the clear satin anodized "SHELBY" logo rails. They look sweet.

However, I noticed and worth investigating, the Shelby Store has them part # S7M-9593-C

http://www.shelbysto.../s7m-9593-c.htm

It looks like it is laser etched engraved "SHELBY GT500"

The set pictured @ lethal performance: part # S7M-9593

NO "-C".

laser etched engraved "SHELBY" with NO GT500

http://www.lethalper...l-rail-kit.html

I would like to know more about the "GT500" also? In the "notes" portion it says "Shelby" engraved with no mention of GT500 also?

R

Thanks as always to everybody. Thanks Robert M for your cost breakout too it was very helpful. Can I assume the dealer would be able to install them and would have the necessary extra parts/fittings or is this a bad assumption?

Ok, here is a follow up to the previous dumb question I posted earlier. Is there a big performance difference with the fuel rails or is it primarily an appearance thing. I know performance is all about fuel and air, do the fuel rails add significantly to the performance of the car? After this question, I promise no more dumb questions from me for at least a week. Thanks again.

Ok, here is a follow up to the previous dumb question I posted earlier. Is there a big performance difference with the fuel rails or is it primarily an appearance thing. I know performance is all about fuel and air, do the fuel rails add significantly to the performance of the car? After this question, I promise no more dumb questions from me for at least a week. Thanks again.

As far as I know, it is a "looks thing" more than anything else.

R

Thanks as always to everybody. Thanks Robert M for your cost breakout too it was very helpful. Can I assume the dealer would be able to install them and would have the necessary extra parts/fittings or is this a bad assumption?

Dealership? I don't know? I would have a hard time trusting a dealership to work on a specialty car like this, when it comes to something "custom" using non-Ford parts. To be honest, I am not sure if the drivers side rail will install without the blower being lifted on that side for the rail install? Since the rails sit down over the injectors, and the clearance between the blower inlet and the rail is minimal, it might require lifting the blower for the fuel rail install. My plan is to install my rails when I change from my 2.8 to the 3.6LC.

R

Thanks Robert. I guess I'll save the money for now and just buy something else for the car which is never a problem.

I'm not saying that you can't trust a dealership, but it would be a Very Special technician who would first of all know what you want to do and do it correctly, and then also take care of your car like you do while it is in his hands. I'm not positive about the blower being lifted. I have looked at the inlet clearance with my 2.8 and I am not sure if the 3.6LC is the same close clearance in this area.........or maybe even closer/tighter? The OEM rails are thinner stamped steel, the SPP rails are thicker billet alum. I'm not sure if the billet thickness would be an install issue or not with the KB in place. It looks like it could be?

R

I bought a pair of the clear anodized and have the 3.6L Kenne Bell blower on my setup. Does anyone have the ones above in Robert's picture along with the Kenne Bell 3.6? After taking a closer look, it is not possible to run the passenger side fuel rail out of the back end as there is too much interference. It looks to me like both must be routed from the front, in which case two 180 degree adapters will be needed?

Any pictures out there of some installed by chance? I'm trying to figure out how these are supposed to be routed. Would hate to send them back.....and CSX these are only for looks.

I bought a pair of the clear anodized and have the 3.6L Kenne Bell blower on my setup. Does anyone have the ones above in Robert's picture along with the Kenne Bell 3.6? After taking a closer look, it is not possible to run the passenger side fuel rail out of the back end as there is too much interference. It looks to me like both must be routed from the front, in which case two 180 degree adapters will be needed?

Any pictures out there of some installed by chance? I'm trying to figure out how these are supposed to be routed. Would hate to send them back.....and CSX these are only for looks.

Doesn't the feed line attach to the "J" shaped fitting in the front area of the factory fuel rail? If so, the plumbing would be real squirrly if you tried to tie the two sides together in the front. I'm not positive, but some have said these SPP are Metco rails. Others have used the rear to tie these rails together, but not a 3.6LC. This may have been why I was told that the straight fittings would not work...........?

R

Yes that's exactly it Robert, and I'm even wondering if it's possible for these rails to work at all on a 3.6LC. I'm not sure where the fuel line would plumb into the rails due to the passenger rail having to be routed from the front. Otherwise you'd have to run a line from the front all the way around the back side of the engine somehow to the rear of the driver's side rail, which I'm not sure there would be clearance for that even. So i'm at a loss here, and I don't have my car with me to examine in depth what it would take to do this.

Would like to find someone with a 3.6 who has done this or attempted to anyway. I'm still thinking you'd need two "J" shaped adapters to run the lines away from the front while still connecting them that way. Until then they will have to make due as expensive paperweights.

Yes that's exactly it Robert, and I'm even wondering if it's possible for these rails to work at all on a 3.6LC. I'm not sure where the fuel line would plumb into the rails due to the passenger rail having to be routed from the front. Otherwise you'd have to run a line from the front all the way around the back side of the engine somehow to the rear of the driver's side rail, which I'm not sure there would be clearance for that even. So i'm at a loss here, and I don't have my car with me to examine in depth what it would take to do this.

Would like to find someone with a 3.6 who has done this or attempted to anyway. I'm still thinking you'd need two "J" shaped adapters to run the lines away from the front while still connecting them that way. Until then they will have to make due as expensive paperweights.

What is in the way at the rear on the passenger side? I thought that most all of the hardware in that area was reused from the 2.8 when upgrading to the 3.6LC? I must admit, I have seen these rails installed on a 2.8 KB application either.........

I was worried about the drivers side under the inlet, it never occured to me that there may be a clearance/routing issue on the passenger side?!?

R

If I had my car here I would take a picture, but from memory there is something sticking up out of the intake that is dangerously close to the rear outlet of the passenger side rail that makes it nearly impossible to put anything on there with the exception of a block off cap. After seeing this, I didn't even give the driver's side much thought because this basically killed my idea.

Would need to see some other setups to determine if I can even use these.....would be a shame too because the stock rails on the SuperSnake are so discolored and ugly with the flux all over them...

If I had my car here I would take a picture, but from memory there is something sticking up out of the intake that is dangerously close to the rear outlet of the passenger side rail that makes it nearly impossible to put anything on there with the exception of a block off cap.

EGR valve.

Phill

Before I bought mine I asked Shelby Am. if they worked on a Whipple 2.9L. I'm pretty sure it was Johnathan Eck that researched it for me but he said they had a KB 3.6L they installed them on and were in the process of a Whipple 2.9L and they worked on both.

I stopped in and spoke with Gil personally to get a better idea of how to route them. Here is how Gil (Naverez) told me they did it;

Use two *straight* fittings for the fuel cross-over hose, one block-off plug and the "J" inlet Shelby supplied.

Off of the FRONT of the rails, run the cross-over hose. The hose has to be 36" long. Route the house along the two small water lines in a big "U" shape to clear the SC pulleys. Block off the right side rail on the rear. Use the J inlet on the left side rear and your fuel feed line needs to make a U-turn to connect to it. Gil did recommend a afermarket braided fuel inlet hose available through Summit because it's longer and stronger.

So basicly, you're turning the fuel rails around from stock, feeding in the rear side and crossing over on the front side.

I decided not to run mine that way as I can route my cross-over out the back and around the rear of the Whipple, then feed the front Dr. side and block off the front Pass. side.

But I don't know if a KB will allow that. Like I said, there is a EGR valve at the back of the Pass. rail but if I go straight out back, rather than up and over, the EGR won't be a problem.

HTH,

Phill

Ok well it sounds like it is possible at least. Didn't think about routing it along the "U" shaped water hose up front, that would definitely make it less conspicuous and clean it up a bit. As far as where the actuall feed line plugs up to the assembly, is there enough slack in the line to turn it around and make the bend to the "J" shaped fitting in the rear of the driver side rail? I'm guessing so if I am reading your post correctly.

Thanks for the pictures. Just so that I'm looking at this right, you put the main feed line to the front of the driver's side rail? If you were able to do that then you routed the line from the front of the passenger rail to the rear of the driver's side? What was the connector makeup for this? Thanks again

Thanks for the pictures. Just so that I'm looking at this right, you put the main feed line to the front of the driver's side rail? If you were able to do that then you routed the line from the front of the passenger rail to the rear of the driver's side? What was the connector makeup for this? Thanks again

I started a thread on another forum related to this and there are two guys with KB's, one for sure with the Metco/SPP fuel rails and he said he feeds rear drivers side to rear passenger side. He said it required a 90 degree fitting on one side (I believe it was the passenger side) and a 45 degree at the rear on the other, actually the drivers side is not mentioned specifically.

Here is his reply...........

"I have a 2.8KB with Evo/Metco fuel rails. I changed the fitting on the passenger side rail from a 90 to a 45 to get around the KB tubing better. I routed the fuel line high on the firewall away from the EGR"

Since the 2.8 and the 3.6LC use the same hardware in this area (as far as I know), the install should be the same.

I started a thread on another forum related to this and there are two guys with KB's, one for sure with the Metco/SPP fuel rails and he said he feeds rear drivers side to rear passenger side. He said it required a 90 degree fitting on one side (I believe it was the passenger side) and a 45 degree at the rear on the other, actually the drivers side is not mentioned specifically.

Here is his reply...........

"I have a 2.8KB with Evo/Metco fuel rails. I changed the fitting on the passenger side rail from a 90 to a 45 to get around the KB tubing better. I routed the fuel line high on the firewall away from the EGR"

Since the 2.8 and the 3.6LC use the same hardware in this area (as far as I know), the install should be the same.

That's how I plan to run mine. Bending the fuel feed line in a U shape doesn't seem right to me. But in defense of Gil, he did say to replace it with the aftermarket steel braided

version.

I'm thinking I can route my cross-over around behind and just under my Whipple 2.9.

Phill

Archived