TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Install number 2 for the SPEC Super twin SS trim clutch

E.Marquez

This is install number 2 for the SPEC Super twin SS trim clutch and #3 SPEC clutch install over all in as many months. ( all different cars not re-dos )

It was finally time to install this one as the clutch had started to slip under boost in 6th.

9cbfe08c.jpg

31a5bdc4.jpg

Started at 1830 with pulling on to the lift. 1:45 later the nasty mess is out.

51cd324b.jpg

As you can see lots of clutch meterial.

00471938.jpg

Flywheel showed no signs of warp or hot spots.

458b560c.jpg

Disk pads were worn down almost to the rivets though.

b1b56f8d.jpg

Release bearing and bell housing is just covered in dust.

All for now will go back to the shop in the morning and start cleaning then install a nice new pilot bearing, clutch release bearing and of course a SPEC Super Twin Clutch and flywheel with ARP Fasteners

SPEC clutch job #3 compleat, just as the other two went, this one went smoothly as well.

No issues or surprises at install or initial run in.

Full pedal from the first few pumps after bleeding IAW the service manual procedure...

Clutch is smooth and not grabby at all.. NO chatter. Pedal is moderate in feel, not heavy at all.

Another SPEC win.

Good work, glad to hear you are having good luck with these clutches as I have had an SS trim sitting in my garage for a few years. I'm just waiting for the stock clutch to take a dump. Over 20,000 miles on it and it's still hanging in there. Told myself broke or not, it's getting replaced this fall.

How long does this job take? I have a lift and a tranny jack but most likely will be working alone.

Thanks,

Chip

Good work, glad to hear you are having good luck with these clutches as I have had an SS trim sitting in my garage for a few years. I'm just waiting for the stock clutch to take a dump. Over 20,000 miles on it and it's still hanging in there. Told myself broke or not, it's getting replaced this fall.

How long does this job take? I have a lift and a tranny jack but most likely will be working alone.

Thanks,

Chip

I have done two GT500 SPEC installs now, both with full lift, tranny jack and shop support. The first one took me 6.5 hours with a helper for the actual remove and install of the transmission and that included removing wheels and cutting rotors while I had it on the lift.. (done along with the other work, so it only added maybe 30 min to the whole job.

The SPEC super Twin install I did yesterday was 4.5 hours rolling on the lift to test drive. That was by myself, no assist.

There are a few things I found that save time.. like you only need to loosen the axle back sections and remove from the H or y pipe. And removing all but two bolts from the K member and dropping it and the motor down 1.5 inches.. The transmission comes right out that way, I know the right combination of tools, extensions to get to each bolt for fastest removal, have air tools for quicker fastener removal, ect.., Getting to the right upper OX sensor plug is tricky, but if you loosen the manifold to pipe first on both sides, let it drop down, remove the starter, you can reach up, feel for the plug, depress the retainer and undo it.....and other little non short cut, but time saving things .

In my opinion, for a reasonable experienced home wrench, with proper tools and a lift.. this is an easy 1 working day job.

Book time is like 5.5 hours

Thanks for the tips! Although I won't be in any hurry to get the job done, I was just curious what to expect. I am going to install my shorty headers when I have the tranny out as well, not sure, but it seems like it may be easier to get them in there without it in the way.

I'm in the middle of pulling the turbo, down pipe and up pipes off of my 7.3 diesel Excursion now, can't imagine that the clutch job on the Shelby could be

any where near as difficult. Spent the better part of the day yesterday dealing with a bunch of heavily rusted nuts and bolts, Shelby has never been in the rain

and everything is like new underneath.

Chip

Archived