TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Precautions on a road trip

verlyn12

We are going on our first road trip of any distance with the Shelby 500. Can you all tell me what precautions you take when travelling for an overnight stay at a motel or any other things to be aware of. We live in a part of the country that doesn't have any of those problems but I know that isn't the norm. Thanks. :shades:

Not sure what your concerns are other than the normal things. Park near the front office in a well lite area if theft concerns you. Park away from the entries and exits as most people try to park near them if door dings worry you. If you have the room in your trunk you may want to carry a car cover. Other than that it's a great traveling vehicle and enjoy your trip. B)

We have never had an issue with the Shelby and road trips. We have about 40,000 miles worth to date with more to come. It is common sense mostly if you don’t’ feel comfortable leave! There is always a better place down the road. Never valet your car!!!!!

Jay Leno: "Never give your car to a valet... One time I did it. I brought my car, I said, 'Just valet. No one's going to do anything. It'll be fine.' And I valeted.

"About a week later a guy says, 'Hey, we were racing the other day.' I said, 'When?' And he said, 'Up and down [a street in Hollywood].' I go, 'No I was in a restaurant.' The valet was in my car racing up and down the street!"

We use the Marriott chain medium to low high end. No problems with outside on property parking. Beware parkades there always seems to be a hidden curb somewhere, ramps that an SUV would bottom out on, and weird liquid that drips from the roof of the parkade that eats through your paint. If you use them just pay attention!!

You will know when you are some where you don’t want to be. A good clue is cars on the street with no tires. LOL

Just enjoy; you will meet more people who have stories about Shelbys and mustangs than you could imagine. Don’t try to keep it clean it is impossible clean it up when you get home and the stone chips well they all have great memories attached.

Get yourself a paint sharpie and make sure it is working. Your can never tell who you might run into on your trip Parnelli Jones, Don the Snake Prudome, or even your favourite wine maker. Lots of room inside the trunk for signatures.

Glen

Thanks-those are the type of things we were wondering about=for example does the car cover draw more attention than the car itself? Saw on tv this morning that stealing tires and wheels attached is a big deal now. Also, I thought I read on one of the posts that there is an application for the I phone that tracks the car if stolen-does anyone know how that works? Thanks for all the info-particularly like the idea of signatures in the trunk-never would have thought of that!

Thanks-those are the type of things we were wondering about=for example does the car cover draw more attention than the car itself? Saw on tv this morning that stealing tires and wheels attached is a big deal now. Also, I thought I read on one of the posts that there is an application for the I phone that tracks the car if stolen-does anyone know how that works? Thanks for all the info-particularly like the idea of signatures in the trunk-never would have thought of that!

You can always go with a "Lo-Jack" system if that's a concern. If someone wants the car bad enough, they get it. You should have the locking factory lugs on the wheels now. There again, a thief who wants it bad enough will twist them off and keep going. Nothings 100%, you just hope there are enough deterrents to slow them down and make it not worth their time to steal. A car cover can call attention to a car but most people will just wonder and move on. You can't be afraid to drive and enjoy it. Remember it's just a "car" and that's why we have insurance. (LOL) You may not believe that last sentence but if you can convince yourself it's true, you'll enjoy your trip much better.

You can always go with a "Lo-Jack" system if that's a concern. If someone wants the car bad enough, they get it. You should have the locking factory lugs on the wheels now. There again, a thief who wants it bad enough will twist them off and keep going. Nothings 100%, you just hope there are enough deterrents to slow them down and make it not worth their time to steal. A car cover can call attention to a car but most people will just wonder and move on. You can't be afraid to drive and enjoy it. Remember it's just a "car" and that's why we have insurance. (LOL) You may not believe that last sentence but if you can convince yourself it's true, you'll enjoy your trip much better.

I certainly agree that if a thief wants something bad enough, they will get it. We do have the locking lugs and have never had a problem in our travels. Lived in Las Vegas a couple of years and never worried just paid attention to surroundings etc. I guess the saying "drive it like you stole it" applies and that's what we will do and enjoy the ride. Thanks

Archived