TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 GT500 Stock Carbon-Fiber Driveshaft

Tob,

The way a dyno works is by timing how long it takes to spin a drum up so the faster you spin the drum up, the more HP the vehicle is producing (in theory). A lighter DS will allow the engine to spin the drum up faster, but not so much faster as to be measurable.

Phill

The last dyno I played with measured power through resistance, the resistance was either by an electrical load or a hydraulic load, not speed. The higher the load the more power required to turn the rollers.

The last dyno I played with measured power through resistance, the resistance was either by an electrical load or a hydraulic load, not speed. The higher the load the more power required to turn the rollers.

That's a Eddy dyno.

Phill

Tob,

You *do* realize what "can transmit 36% more torque" means, right?

It means it is 36% stronger, not that it increases torque by 36%.

Torque is defined as Twisting Force...if anyone thinks that changing from a heavy shaft to a lighter shaft can increase TWISTING FORCE, let alone by 36%, they might want to take a basic physics class.

... I can't say if it's 36% stronger but I'll take "Tom Wilson's" (whoever that may be) word for it.

Phill

You don't have to ask me what I realize. I'm adept enough to understand the quote for what it is as well as present it for everyone's perusal in the context in which it was originally stated. The increased ability to transmit torque by using this shaft is fundamental. It allows the car to transmit power more efficiently than the stock two-piece.

And if you've never read any of Wilson's work you've missed quite a bit from one of the best there is.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda off subject but then related in a small way (LOL) ...... But, after you've changed the stock driveshaft could the old one be used in V-6 Mustang? I recently swapped mine out and the stock GT-500 driveshaft appeared to be exactly like the Mustang GT's driveshaft except for an adapter plate. I know there have been some newer V-6 Mustang's lightweight driveshaft’s coming apart on dyno's or during drag racing/high speed events. The 3.7 V-6 cars are limited to 114 mph and I was told one of the reasons is the driveshaft. Perhaps there’s a market out there for our old stock driveshaft’s?

So what is the end of the story?

Does an 13' OEM CF shaft swap on our old models?

A custom flange at the transmission output shaft is needed. FRPP is working on a solution as well as some gutsy GT500 aficionados. Keep your fingers crossed that at least one of them makes it happen.

• 2 months later...

Archived