TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 GT500 Stock Carbon-Fiber Driveshaft

Does the 2013 DS fit the older cars?

No. Both trans and pinion yokes are totally different. The trans tailshaft is also different to accomidate the trans yoke. You would have to install a new '13 trans, driveshaft and pinion yoke (not totally sure about the pinion yoke).

I bought my PST carbon fiber driveshaft for right around $1,000 so why even *think* about a 2013 FoMoCo unit?

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Part# 4602

Ford

Drive Shaft

5.8L Dual Over Head Cam SC GAS (Rear)

$1,564.10

From www.fordparts.com

Guess this answers my question of will it be cheaper than the aftermarket versions for my 2007 GT500 (assuming it fits).

The Shaft is available for a lot CHEAPER than that.

For how much? Where?

But it does not fit other SHELBY's than the 2013...?...! :shrug:

Around a $1000 from Ford, won't know until Friday about fitment, the good news is coming form Ford it can be returned if it doesn't fit.

We may need the '13 output flange and not sure if that is compatible.

can anybody vouch for the improvement this mod brings? i'm on the fence about whether it is really worth the money...

You will not see ANY performance gain from using a 1-piece or carbon fiber driveshaft. At least not anything measurable.

Phill

Didn't Ford go to the CF one-piece drive shaft because of a harmonic vibration above 155 MPH?

I would think safety and strength would be the two top considerations. And hi speeds wouldn't suffer any either.

I've had mine up into the mid to hi 140's and it was smooth as at 55.

Phill

You will not see ANY performance gain from using a 1-piece or carbon fiber driveshaft. At least not anything measurable.

Phill

Not trying to argue, trying to learn. My physics is elementary at best ;) Rotating mass would be reduced, thereby reducing the amount of energy needed to spin it, thus releasing more power. Is that not right :confused:

Not trying to argue, trying to learn. My physics is elementary at best ;) Rotating mass would be reduced, thereby reducing the amount of energy needed to spin it, thus releasing more power. Is that not right :confused:

That is correct. The problem is, the rotating mass is so light and close to the center of rotation, you won't realize any gain. Like I said, at least *measurable* gain (i.e. 'trace').

Let's say the DS weighs 40 lbs. The new CF weighs 20 lbs. That's a Delta of 20lbs. If you were to lighten the flywheel by 20lb, you'd very likely be able to see it on a dyno. Not by much, but you would probably still see it. Difference is, the flywheel is somewhere between 14 and 18 inches in diameter so the mass is farther from the center and takes more effort to get moving (i.e. HP). Move all of that weight into a 4" diameter circle and it'll spin up much easier.

There is a mathmatical formula to prove it but I'm no mathametician. I think it was Jay Tucker or Justin Starkey that posted up the best way to understand it way back when so maybe whoever it was will repost, or someone knows where the post is. It might be in JLT's announement that he was selling PST driveshafts.

Phill

Phill

That is correct. The problem is, the rotating mass is so light and close to the center of rotation, you won't realize any gain. Like I said, at least *measurable* gain (i.e. 'trace').

Let's say the DS weighs 40 lbs. The new CF weighs 20 lbs. That's a Delta of 20lbs. If you were to lighten the flywheel by 20lb, you'd very likely be able to see it on a dyno. Not by much, but you would probably still see it. Difference is, the flywheel is somewhere between 14 and 18 inches in diameter so the mass is farther from the center and takes more effort to get moving (i.e. HP). Move all of that weight into a 4" diameter circle and it'll spin up much easier.

There is a mathmatical formula to prove it but I'm no mathametician. I think it was Jay Tucker or Justin Starkey that posted up the best way to understand it way back when so maybe whoever it was will repost, or someone knows where the post is. It might be in JLT's announement that he was selling PST driveshafts.

Phill

Phill

Ok, I get what you're saying. Was just making sure I wasn't misunderstanding. I'll dig into my son in laws head, he's a engineering mechanic. He'll talk till I get confused, which honestly doesn't take long when he gets started :D

Ok, I get what you're saying. Was just making sure I wasn't misunderstanding. I'll dig into my son in laws head, he's a engineering mechanic. He'll talk till I get confused, which honestly doesn't take long when he gets started :D

I'd LOVE to hear his opinion!

Mine is based on less educated opinions.

Hell, I could be dead wrong. I believed for DECADES that a longer stroke (vs bigger bore) gave a mechanical (leverage) advantage over equal displacement from boring, and it got you more torque until I got the real answer and a math equation showing me I was wrong.

I would'a argued the "fact" to my death if it hadn't been shown to me with a very simple forumla.

Phill

I'd LOVE to hear his opinion!

Mine is based on less educated opinions.

Hell, I could be dead wrong. I believed for DECADES that a longer stroke (vs bigger bore) gave a mechanical (leverage) advantage over equal displacement from boring, and it got you more torque until I got the real answer and a math equation showing me I was wrong.

I would'a argued the "fact" to my death if it hadn't been shown to me with a very simple forumla.

Phill

Next time I meet up with him I'll ask. Hopefully I can keep up with the conversation. Kid knows cars and is not afraid to get his hands dirty. Just too damn smart to get in a technical conversation with :D

Just too damn smart to get in a technical conversation with :D

Those are the ones ya learn from, bro!

Phill

Those are the ones ya learn from, bro!

Phill

He's into nano tube technology. Don't even get him started on that stuff.

He wanted a set of scales for a car he atutocrosses. Found a set with one broken for dirt cheap. Built his own transducer for it it like 20 minutes and works like new. I'd still be scratching my head :confused:

Actually Phil, because of the less reciprocating mass, there is a few more rear wheel HP to be had. I have seen anywhere from 7-15 RWHP on the same car, same dyno, same temp, same day etc, just from going with the light weight driveshafts and nothign else. I did have a problem with one of the early PST one piece carbon fiber shafts breaking on one of my own Shelby's back in 07 or 08, but have not had one break since.

Alex

Actually Phil, because of the less reciprocating mass, there is a few more rear wheel HP to be had.

LMAO!

That's too funny. "Riciprocating Mass"....on a driveshaft! LOL

Phill

7-15 RWHP?

Whoa, I would have never thought that could be expected...

I like the clean factor of a one piece, the high tech look (and no rust) of the CF shaft but the HP gains make me wonder if I am going to get one finally...!

If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale.

Phill

As Tom Wilson put it...

It is lighter, stiffer, and transmits torque better than the two-piece aluminum (his error - should have said steel) shaft it replaces.

The new shaft (also according to Wilson):

- is almost 15 lbs lighter than the shaft it replaces

- can transmit 36% more torque

- says goodbye to the friction of the center support bearing that the two-piece shaft used from '07-'12 created

No need to sell a bridge that doesn't exist, Phill. This shaft allows more power - period.

I've had the DSS Carbon shaft in mine for about 3 months now and it is DEFINITELY an improvement over the stock shaft. Soon as I drove the car I could feel a difference. Feels like the car is able to shift and grab the next gear better and the RPM's don't drop way down between shifts. It grabs immediately. Like Alex said, definitely feels like more power is there. After having the Carbon shaft I would NEVER go back to a two-piece shaft again. I'm telling you, even with just regular driving the car just drives smoother. If you can do the Carbon shaft I would definitely recommend it!

As Tom Wilson put it...

<snip>

- can transmit 36% more torque

No need to sell a bridge that doesn't exist, Phill. This shaft allows more power - period.

Tob,

You *do* realize what "can transmit 36% more torque" means, right?

It means it is 36% stronger, not that it increases torque by 36%.

Torque is defined as Twisting Force...if anyone thinks that changing from a heavy shaft to a lighter shaft can increase TWISTING FORCE, let alone by 36%, they might want to take a basic physics class.

You'll get *no* argument from me that the new Carbon Fiber 1-pc. driveshaft is lighter and stronger than the previous steel 2-pc w/center carrier bearing. That's a given. I can't say if it's 36% stronger but I'll take "Tom Wilson's" (whoever that may be) word for it.

My argument is that it will give you enough horsepower increase to be measureable.

The way a dyno works is by timing how long it takes to spin a drum up so the faster you spin the drum up, the more HP the vehicle is producing (in theroy). A lighter DS will allow the engine to spin the drum up faster, but not so much faster as to be measurable.

Alex says he has seen anywhere from 7-15 HP increase. That's well within the 'fudge factor' on any dyno out there. And I've yet to see the comparison dyno sheets.

In fact, I've yet to see ANY scientific evidence that says a 1-pc carbon fiber driveshaft will give you ANY increase in horsepower, let alone any measureable increase and that would be easy to do, if it were possible.

Phill

Archived