TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Not a 200 MPH Car

COBRA32

Do you believe a 2007-2009 could go 196mph with this much HP?

A couple of years ago, I remember reading a magazine article where they took a 2007-2009 GT500 to the salt flats for some top speed runs. The car was all stock except it's speed limiter removed. I think it ran mid to high 180s. Maybe someone that has that magazine can chime in. :read:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of years ago, I remember reading a magazine article where they took a 2007-2009 GT500 to the salt flats for some top speed runs. The car was all stock except it's speed limiter removed. I think it ran mid to high 180s. Maybe someone that has that magazine can chime in. :read:

Actually it was a 540hp 2010 Shelby GT-500 and it did 184.7 at the redline in 5th gear. Here's the link: http://www.popularme...ro-bonneville-2

If a stock 2010 Shelby GT-500 with limiter removed can hit nearly 185 at the redline in fifth gear with 3.55 gears, then the rest of us with similar combos except for pullies and tune with the redline bumped up to 6500 rpms should hit 191 mph easy.... just need 5 miles of straight road and no Cops around like at Bonneville Salt Flats. B)

Actually it was a 540hp 2010 Shelby GT-500 and it did 184.7 at the redline in 5th gear. Here's the link: http://www.popularme...ro-bonneville-2

If a stock 2010 Shelby GT-500 with limiter removed can hit nearly 185 at the redline in fifth gear with 3.55 gears, then the rest of us with similar combos except for pullies and tune with the redline bumped up to 6500 rpms should hit 191 mph easy.... just need 5 miles of straight road and no Cops around like at Bonneville Salt Flats. B)

That's the one. Thanks. :beerchug:

OMG i give up. Jesus christ you know what I mean. The point is GM is trying harder than Ford is. They are trying to make the car bigger than it really is, is the point I am trying to get across.

No, actually, I didn't know what you meant.

Put a 2.73 gear set in it and go 205 MPH, What does it mean? Nothing, top speed stats are for guys that sit on the sidelines and read car magazines.

(LOL) ... and your point? Of course it's about bragging rights that 99.9% of us will never do. I just tell people that within 10 seconds from a standing start, I can be committing a felony (i.e. going more than 100 mph). The car actually accererates so fast that I don't dare look down at the speedometer, I keep my eyes on where the car is headed. How fast have I driven it? I don't know for sure but I did hit the 6250 rpm limit/cutout in 4th once so what's that 135 or 140'ish? It would be fun to go somewhere once with a five-mile straight away and legally be able to put the hammer down for about two and half minutes but then there's that 99.9% percent thing again (LOL). Just enjoy your ride, I love mine. B)

The 2010 GT500 had 550 HP

Nope. I have a 2010 GT500 and it's rated at 540HP, stock.

The 2007-2009's were rated at 500HP, with a closed air box on them.

The '08 & '09 KR's got a Cold Air Intake and tune on them and.were rated at 540HP.

The 2010 GT500 got the open element CAI and Knock Sensor (KS) technology, with the HP rating going up to 540 to match the KR's rating.

The 2011 GT500 got a new aluminum block and Electric Assist Power Stearing (EAPS) for a 10HP increase to 550HP.

The 2012 GT500 stayed at 550HP.

The 2013 GT500 got a engine displacement increase from 5.4L to 5.8L, a supercharger volume increase from a Eaton 2.1L to a Eaton 2.3L TVS and Ford GT cams for a HP increase up to 662HP from the previous year's 550HP.

HTH,

Phill

Ill put my dog in this fight

First off blackonblack. Ur car is sex!

Second I'm looking for a '13 to come out to Nevada for the silver star event (i think its silver star...maybe silver state) open nice highway no speedlimit.

Third bragging rights are cool and all but I'd me more concerned with how fast i could get to the top speed rather than bitch about a couple MPH.

Maybe just me

Second I'm looking for a '13 to come out to Nevada for the silver star event (i think its silver star...maybe silver state) open nice highway no speedlimit.

Third bragging rights are cool and all but I'd me more concerned with how fast i could get to the top speed rather than bitch about a couple MPH.

Maybe just me

It's the Silver State Classic Challenge and yes it would be cool to see some 13' GT500 run that one!

http://www.sscc.us/

And yes again, I agree, it's the time you reach a certain speed that counts...

Maybe just me

Thanks for the kind words....as every day goes by, I like my color choice more.

Thanks for the kind words....as every day goes by, I like my color choice more.

Yes! I would choose no other for a 2013. It says "Class and Speed" at the same time.

A great combination for sure! Your car is extraordinary good looking.

But as always it's a personal thing and I am far from saying any other 2013 color is ugly!!!

Yes! I would choose no other for a 2013. It says "Class and Speed" at the same time.

A great combination for sure! Your car is extraordinary good looking.

But as always it's a personal thing and I am far from saying any other 2013 color is ugly!!!

You are correct...all the color combos look great...the black w/satin black stripes I had with my 2010 was amazing (when perfectly clean!!)

Is anyone going to Mustang OK at the end of August for that show?

What show is that? The stampede show? Thought that was in September but i. Prob. Wrong. Depends on work. But I'm right down the road

As if anyone here is competent at handling a car traveling 200 MPH. The thought of some idiot who qualifies for 72 months worth of payments on one of these beasts and and then attempting to verify the 200 MPH claim on a public road is terrifying. I could care less what happens to anyone that stupid but what about the innocent family he takes out with himself.

Welcome to America, where a person over 60 is required to take a special "Safety Driving Program" so they can get a 1% reduction in their insurance rates, but a 16 year old kid, with one parents consent, who passed a written test and a driving test on a Vespa or in a VW Beetle can walk into a motorcycle shop or car dealer and purchase a bike or car that is capable of 180+ MPH. What more can I say?

Welcome to America, where a person over 60 is required to take a special "Safety Driving Program" so they can get a 1% reduction in their insurance rates, but a 16 year old kid, with one parents consent, who passed a written test and a driving test on a Vespa or in a VW Beetle can walk into a motorcycle shop or car dealer and purchase a bike or car that is capable of 180+ MPH. What more can I say?

Change your statement to 18 years old and it is correct. I know of no jurisdiction where someone under the age of 18 can purchase any motor vehicle that requires a license plate to operate. It is true thta 16 year olds can get a drivers license, but they are not allowed ownership. Nor will an insurance company write a policy with a minor as a principal.

The 18 year old change just makes it scarier. 18 year old teens are lots braver (and stupider*) than 16 year olds.

*note, they think they are smarter but NOT.

Yeah isn't that the truth. Spent many hours in the ER and have seen the potential result of excessive speed. Triple digit plus speed on a public street or highway raises stupidity to another level. It allways amazes how cool and cavalier some performance car owners are about their 160 MPH blasts down the highway. They are all real thrill seaking bad asses until something goes foul and then they and others are transformed into ground meat.

Change your statement to 18 years old and it is correct. I know of no jurisdiction where someone under the age of 18 can purchase any motor vehicle that requires a license plate to operate. It is true that 16 year olds can get a drivers license, but they are not allowed ownership. Nor will an insurance company write a policy with a minor as a principal.

The 18 year old change just makes it scarier. 18 year old teens are lots braver (and stupider*) than 16 year olds.

*note, they think they are smarter but NOT.

I stand corrected on the age, but it doesn't stop rich parents from getting little Billy a fast car for his 16th birthday.

Talking about 18 year old kids with fast cars, I have two words for you Justin Bieber.

Change your statement to 18 years old and it is correct. I know of no jurisdiction where someone under the age of 18 can purchase any motor vehicle that requires a license plate to operate.

When my son turned 16 he bought a '67 GTO and licensed it in his name.

That was in California. I've put vehicles in my grandson's name, when he was real little (like 4 or 5?). Also in CA.

Phill

When my son turned 16 he bought a '67 GTO and licensed it in his name.

That was in California. I've put vehicles in my grandson's name, when he was real little (like 4 or 5?). Also in CA.

Phill

OK, but we all know CA is goofy. Minors don't have the right to enter into contracts anywhere I've ever lived. Insurance is a contract. Insurance has to be in the registered owner's name (at least in CO, IA, AZ, MA).

OK, but we all know CA is goofy. Minors don't have the right to enter into contracts anywhere I've ever lived. Insurance is a contract. Insurance has to be in the registered owner's name (at least in CO, IA, AZ, MA).

"we all know CA is goofy": Boy howdy.

He bought it from a friend of mine, paid in full so no contract for the purchase. And he had to be insured under my ins. policy so no signing into a contract there either, and I wasn't on his registration or title.

I know lots of folks here in CO that had their kids on their policies too but I can't say if they are the registered/legal owners of the vehicles.

*I* don't have to worry about it anymore. I'll never have kids (vas) and neither will my wife (hys).

Thank gawd.....

Phill

Anyone who has no regard for the safety of others regardless of their age or driving experience is just a dangerous in a Prius as they would be in any high powered performance car.

I would argue that most mature adults have no respect for the destructive power of their vehicles and are oblivious to the world on the other side of their windshield.

Too many of us are too caught up being Superstars within our own mental movie or video game to realize our actions impact those around us.

There is a lot of discussion in this thread about driving responsibilities with a high Hp vehicle and not killing the general public. My occupation for the last 20 years is a professional driver, but most of you won't consider me skilled in my trade. I have over a million miles of driving experience on public highways in an urban environment. The things I've seen the general public doing behind the wheel of an auto is scary, let alone a high Hp auto with the capabilities of high road speeds. In my opinion there isn't many people in today's society that take driving seriously anymore. What is even more interesting is society is enforcing more and more draconian regulations on my profession.........because society thinks I'm the safety hazard in the highways. The last major accident that I was involved in, was a 19 year old texting while driving. Her brand new Ford Focus ended up under the trailer. She was very lucky to have walked away without a scratch on her, but the car was totaled and she did $50K worth of damage and down time to my truck and trailer.

Here is a video of my daily driver on a Taylor Water Brake Chassis Dynamometer

th_MrHaneysdynorun.jpg

How would you like to drive this? Moving a gross weight of 84K Lbs at high speeds is easy with this, but driving with responsibility is something society doesn't think I'm capable of doing. The laws and the attitude of the law enforcement community that have been projected upon my profession in the last 20 years in the name of safety has actually eroded the quality of the people willing to stay in the industry. Get ready for the onslaught of the new professional drivers that have learned to drive with the attention span of a 2 year old

Yet most of you won't consider me the professional driver with an IQ of making a responsible decision concerning your safety, but I'm the one with the monster lurking under my hood driving with over a million miles without a chargeable accident. If the US government enacted the same safety laws to the general public as it does to me...........you all would revolt

driving a vehicle is a responsibility no matter what size it is or how fast it will go.............this is what needs to be taught to all drivers

There is a lot of discussion in this thread about driving responsibilities with a high Hp vehicle and not killing the general public. My occupation for the last 20 years is a professional driver, but most of you won't consider me skilled in my trade. I have over a million miles of driving experience on public highways in an urban environment. The things I've seen the general public doing behind the wheel of an auto is scary, let alone a high Hp auto with the capabilities of high road speeds. In my opinion there isn't many people in today's society that take driving seriously anymore. What is even more interesting is society is enforcing more and more draconian regulations on my profession.........because society thinks I'm the safety hazard in the highways. The last major accident that I was involved in, was a 19 year old texting while driving. Her brand new Ford Focus ended up under the trailer. She was very lucky to have walked away without a scratch on her, but the car was totaled and she did $50K worth of damage and down time to my truck and trailer.

Here is a video of my daily driver on a Taylor Water Brake Chassis Dynamometer

th_MrHaneysdynorun.jpg

How would you like to drive this? Moving a gross weight of 84K Lbs at high speeds is easy with this, but driving with responsibility is something society doesn't think I'm capable of doing. The laws and the attitude of the law enforcement community that have been projected upon my profession in the last 20 years in the name of safety has actually eroded the quality of the people willing to stay in the industry. Get ready for the onslaught of the new professional drivers that have learned to drive with the attention span of a 2 year old

Yet most of you won't consider me the professional driver with an IQ of making a responsible decision concerning your safety, but I'm the one with the monster lurking under my hood driving with over a million miles without a chargeable accident. If the US government enacted the same safety laws to the general public as it does to me...........you all would revolt

driving a vehicle is a responsibility no matter what size it is or how fast it will go.............this is what needs to be taught to all drivers

Caterpillar or Cummins?

Archived