TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Borla cat back included with the 40th package

I’m not looking for obnoxious, but it seems that my Borla cat back exhaust is pretty tame on the 40th.

Have any of you made any changes to your Borla system? Thought there might be something minor I could do to open it up a bit. I am not a fan of those systems that sound like glass packs from the 70's. Might be a dumb question, but does the tune effect the sound of the exhaust?

If it matters, this was a California car.

We replaced the Borla mufflers with the KR mufflers, and they sound great. However, an off-road X pipe came next, and that was way to obnoxious with that set up, so back on went the Borla mufflers. With the off-road X pipe we are very pleased with the outcome. No drone when cruising, but when accelerating it is definitely noticeable.

If you keep the stock manifold and cats, then the KRs are the best option. Really nice burble. When I went with Kooks headers, race cats and x-pipe - I had to go back to the Borlas to quiet it down.

+1

We replaced the Borla mufflers with the KR mufflers, and they sound great. However, an off-road X pipe came next, and that was way to obnoxious with that set up, so back on went the Borla mufflers. With the off-road X pipe we are very pleased with the outcome. No drone when cruising, but when accelerating it is definitely noticeable.

Is the offroad x-pipe from Ford Racing?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sherri - I'd say I had the old KRs, too. I put those on when they came out years ago.

I don't believe there's any difference between stock and Borla pipes. What I have seen - sometimes the clamps are over-tightened and the pipes get crimped. Tough to make things fit after that.

Nooooo! Say it isn't so. I feel so lucky that I found a set of KRs used for $100, but I don't have stock pipes.

I was going to have my buddy at the local Ford dealer install for me, but I may need to go to muffler shop.

Cross your fingers for me.

Thanks for all of the feedback,

Bob

Did you have to jack the car up or were you able to leave it on the ground?

Someone told me I would need to loosen the clamps up at the x section so I could have some wiggle room with the pipes, but he had a different exhaust system.

That's why I posted this to the 40th owners, because I would prefer to her it from someone with same original set-up.

Archived