TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HID Lights

I hate to sound naive but I really don't know what HID lights are that are installed on the 2008's? Can anyone give me a quick heads up? Thanks in advance.... :sos:

High Intensity Discharge. The capsules (lamps) do not have filiments, the gas inside the capsule is charged instead. Basically they are the bluish-white headlamps that you mostly see on high end German and Asian cars.

They are fantastic. Once you have them, you will never want to go back to Halogen lamps again. Sylvania will offer them to retrofit into the 07' 500's in about six months or so.

Ford part# available yet?

Is the wiring harness, light housing, etc all the same between conventional headlights and HID? Do they run at about the same temperatures? Why are they a big mega-buck option if it is just the bulbs?

Also, since our cars are exported to Canada, where daytime running lites are required, is there an easy way to put daytime running lites on our US cars? I have heard about it may be something as simple as a module swap but that appeared to be wishful thinking-or is it perhaps that easy?

When do you think us 07 owners can order this HID from Ford???

I dont want to wait 6 months and want OEM anyway

Sylvanya is the OEM supplier to FoMoCo, and is the company making and supplying Ford the HID lamps for the 08' 500's. It's a six month wait because Ford has whatever they have locked up for production and parts. Sure, you would probably be able to get the headlamps OTC from Ford parts a little sooner than getting them from Sylvanya, but I would guess that unless Ford comes out and markets a "offical" converison kit to install HID's onto the 2007's, you will have to pay out the wazoo to piece the parts together over the counter.

Ford part# available yet?

No, not yet.

Is the wiring harness, light housing, etc all the same between conventional headlights and HID? Do they run at about the same temperatures? Why are they a big mega-buck option if it is just the bulbs? GENERALLY speaking, with the exception of the necessity to have specific reflectors, most HID systems are plug and play directly into the factory lamp connection. You're right about the cost, but it's not just for bulbs. HID lamps need a high voltage ballast in order to ignite and keep the gas in the capsule lit. So each lamp needs it's own ballast, and those SOB'S cost up the HOO, HOO. And believe it or not, HID lamps pull less AMPS and operate at cooler tempatures than convential Halogen lamps. In the end, a complete, LEGAL conversion requires purchasing the reflectors, the ballast's, the harness interface jumper, and of course the capsules which also cost up the hoo, hoo.

Also, since our cars are exported to Canada, where daytime running lites are required, is there an easy way to put daytime running lites on our US cars? I have heard about it may be something as simple as a module swap but that appeared to be wishful thinking-or is it perhaps that easy? Ford does offer DRL conversion kits for many of their cars. Because the Stang is imported there and DRL's are mandated, I would imagine that you could locate an purchase a DRL module for your Stang too. But if you end up going with HID headlamps, you would have to transfer your DRL'S down to your driving lamps, or add another pair of lamps to be your DRL'S.

$1,500!!!!!!!!

WTF Why on Earth would some headlights be worth that much to you! If I won the lotto, then sure but come on, thats freakin retarded. Take a vacation with that money or something, dam I hope it is alot less than that!

Where did you see that? In the post/link above yours it list the kit at Sale price: $299.99.

That is not too bad. Now I have to talk 1badsho into helping me install them someday-if the dagone car ever gets here!

Where did you see that? In the post/link above yours it list the kit at Sale price: $299.99.

That is not too bad. Now I have to talk 1badsho into helping me install them someday-if the dagone car ever gets here!

300 was the price for an aftermarket kit. You can bet the factory kit with new lens housings, Ford balasts and a new wiring harness will be WELL north of $1000.

$1,500!!!!!!!!

WTF Why on Earth would some headlights be worth that much to you! If I won the lotto, then sure but come on, thats freakin retarded. Take a vacation with that money or something, dam I hope it is alot less than that!

+1 I agree just go to WalMart and buy the blue bulbs if you want them blue for crying out loud!!! 1500 bucks can buy a bunch of goodies worth much more to your Mustang than the different headlights!!

300 was the price for an aftermarket kit.

Well the way I read it is this is an after market kit (HID Dual Beam Headlight Conversion Kit for 2005+ Mustang (H13 Bulb)) however,you are probably right, Ford will charge almost $1K for the authentic Ford parts names. Someone needs to buy the kit and see how it works. I volunteer all these +1's who saved BIG money on their cars now ought to volunteer since they remind us all the time how much money they saved and how proud they are! Come on boys buy the kit and tell us how they work?

Well the way I read it is this is an after market kit (HID Dual Beam Headlight Conversion Kit for 2005+ Mustang (H13 Bulb)) however,you are probably right, Ford will charge almost $1K for the authentic Ford parts names. Someone needs to buy the kit and see how it works. I volunteer all these +1's who saved BIG money on their cars now ought to volunteer since they remind us all the time how much money they saved and how proud they are! Come on boys buy the kit and tell us how they work?

What are you saying, that aftermarket HID's are crap???

What are you saying, that aftermarket HID's are crap???

No, what I am saying is it sounds like a good price but we need someone to buy them and try them. Then we can determine the quality of the light and assembly! Comprende?

300 was the price for an aftermarket kit. You can bet the factory kit with new lens housings, Ford balasts and a new wiring harness will be WELL north of $1000.

Saleen offers a true hid kit for their cars and will fit any GT Mustang, but not our Shelbys. That kit goes for 799.00. You can see them at saleen's website. Its made by the same company that is making the ones for the shelbys. I was told that the Shelby Hids will have a ford logo on them and that they would be available over the counter.

$800 I would def consider as long as install is not more than hour ????

Chuckstang

It could be more than an hour install.....as the front bumper cover must come off to mount the headlights housings .....you will also need to mount the ballasts.....other than that its mostly plug and play. Mostly likely a two person job when pull off the bumper cover......

Teke

so does anyone think the fog lights will change to hid as well or stay the same as the 07s?

I have never seen a factory car come with HID's in the fogs.

I have vision bulbs hi/low 4300K hid kit. For $300, it's great. The road is much brighter, especially on non light back roads. Install was easy, requires some electrical knowledge. The beam pattern is very good, but as with retrofitting any any HID bulb into a halogen housing, the beam is going to "scatter" a bit. The majority of it is on the road ahead, but a faint amount will glare off in all directions, pissing off oncoming traffic.

Archived