TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How Do act when you see a fake ?

I was picking up a honey baked ham when an older guy stops me and says ' hey I've got a Shelby also " We started showing his CS or California special and he swore up and down that CS ment Carroll Shelby ... Sense then I move around the corner from him and he still says "hey we have nice Shelby's" one day I snapped and showed him he was full of it and showed him my csm # and asked him where was his and he claimed he took it off . I hate a fake should I be flattered and be nice or expose him for the liar he is ? Any fake Shelby incidents out there???

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only one's I've seen were the fake GT 350's here in the Dallas area.

Same here. Co-worker and I were doing a site visit at a defense contractor building the other day and there was a mustang in the parking lot. It had GT350 stickers all over it, stripes, the whole nine yards. My co-worker started talking about how much he liked the car and would love to have one like it. I informed him it wasn't one. It was a V6 and light blue. At least it didn't have Shelby on it anywhere.

There is a difference between a fake and a replicia. One try's to pass itself as something it's not and the other honors the original. I hate fakes trying to be passed off as originals but can admire a replica that is well done. The problem is usually the owner who's not willing ( or is actually clueless) to admit he doesn't own an original.

I sometimes take it that someone really wants a Shelby but cannot afford. So they do their best to feel accepted by the Shelby community and improve their own self-esteem by driving and imaging they have a Shelby. I figure no harm no foul. They are not hurting me. Let them have their fun. If they could afford a Shelby they probably would.

My reaction is based on how the car is presented to me and how the owner describes it. I'm with Bill Hamilton and 07SGT on this, I can appreciate a nicely built car and the fact that not everyone is in a position to own one. If the owner is bragging or boastful, I might correct them politely, but that's about as far as I go. As the saying goes, I'm not interested in wrestling with pigs, you just end up getting muddy and the pig enjoys it.

Cars built in the owners eye and for his desire that use Shelby parts? No big deal.... Guys purposely perpetrating a fraud, mostly I giggle at... as most are only fooling themselves, enthusiast know the difference.

And folks that have a fake and are just misinformed...(been misled) educate if they are interested, or not,,,

My reaction is based on how the car is presented to me and how the owner describes it. I'm with Bill Hamilton and 07SGT on this, I can appreciate a nicely built car and the fact that not everyone is in a position to own one. If the owner is bragging or boastful, I might correct them politely, but that's about as far as I go. As the saying goes, I'm not interested in wrestling with pigs, you just end up getting muddy and the pig enjoys it.

+1. Sums up pretty well how I feel about this issue also.

I have seen a few and the driver always puts his head down as if he were embarrassed that he just saw a real Shelby. But I think they just love the look of the car and can't afford one. All of the ones I have seen are driven by young kids who have a dream but not the money

I've seen a ton of the GT350s/GT300s around these parts, I feel pity more than anything.

Had a kid here at work put cobra badges on his plain jane SN95, ran around like he was the baddest thing in town, boy, I had fun picking apart every discrepency on that "Cobra".

The "tributes", clones or fakes are created by different people for various reasons. Every owner knows what he really has. If he presents it as one of these, fine. He's just enjoying his Mustang. If he tries to present it as a real Shelby, he's lying at best and perpetuating a fraud in the event of a sales attempt. Either one of those actions is clearly unacceptable.

Pity because I'm sure that a percentage of the GT350/GT300 drivers actually think that they have some sort of special edition car and the rest probably think they are actually fooling people. That goes for all people with clones and fakes.

http://www.americanm...ldoor-0509.html Tell me if any thing is "off" about this 'GT-H?'

A guy at the county fair last year was dead set on convincing me because "I'm a kid" that he had a rare 2005 Mustang Mach 1, the only Mach 1 of the S197 body. It was metallic blue with black trim and said Mach 1 all over. I asked him where his shaker hood was, he responded that it didn't have one that year. It was a seriously powerful Mustang, but I went over and informed the judges that before this thing got rolling that this Mustang was....just...no.

Not a Shelby story, but I still tell it when I can.

One day the wife and myself went for a cruz around Los Angeles , that's when we seen a fake grabber orange Shelby gt . She warned me to be nice cause she knows me , but I just couldn't resist I missed my light on purpose so he could see me. His kids kept pointing at my car and I let him take off and it was the quietest mustang or Shelby ( wink wink ) I ever heard. I then pilled out so loud my Nitto tires damn near fell off...... I'm sOrry guys I hate fake!?

I sometimes take it that someone really wants a Shelby but cannot afford. So they do their best to feel accepted by the Shelby community and improve their own self-esteem by driving and imaging they have a Shelby. I figure no harm no foul. They are not hurting me. Let them have their fun. If they could afford a Shelby they probably would.

I was going to comment until I read this so maybe person who started this post should read this instead of being so high and mighty. Dude, not everyone can afford it so relax

How do I act?? LIKE AN ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should have my admin assistant-she told me I act like an ass and I'm a bitch. I just said, honey, I haven't turned that switch on yet!

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", and that can be a complement. Trying to convince other people it's something it's not, is fraud.

I can admire a well done clone or replica someone has put together and admits it as such. Personalize your Mustang anyway you want, but just remember it's not a factory done Shelby (or Mach or Boss or etc.), and don't try to pass it off as such.

I was picking up a honey baked ham when an older guy stops me and says ' hey I've got a Shelby also " We started showing his CS or California special and he swore up and down that CS ment Carroll Shelby ... Sense then I move around the corner from him and he still says "hey we have nice Shelby's" one day I snapped and showed him he was full of it and showed him my csm # and asked him where was his and he claimed he took it off . I hate a fake should I be flattered and be nice or expose him for the liar he is ? Any fake Shelby incidents out there???

I just look at the car w/my mouth open: WTF"?

One day my friends were trying to explain how my car looks and everytime they seen a gt with strips they swear that was a Shelby . My mother does the samething . " Oh the guy across the street has a Shelby like yours son " So I drove 250 miles to visit her and see this neighbor and sure enough I had to teach her the diffenrence from a gt with stripe vs a collector , entry level track car and it made me look like I was stuck up or all about my car .. But shit I just want to prove my point . I don't win awards at car shows because I have a mustang that looks like a Shelby . I win because it is a Shelby ..

I've seen a ton of the GT350s/GT300s around these parts, I feel pity more than anything.

Had a kid here at work put cobra badges on his plain jane SN95, ran around like he was the baddest thing in town, boy, I had fun picking apart every discrepency on that "Cobra".

I'll address these one at a time;

First off didn't you hear about that super duper rare GT300? There are barely any made and they cost a LOT of money. It has about 900 horsepower with hydraulic split cams to make the noise minimal, and it has a 4.2L supercharger on a 6.0L engine. The extremely rare ones have one exhaust pipe.

SN95's can look nice (I like to hope that my new edge is clean as a whistle. The cobra's are actually just for looks to make you 'think' it's a cobra, when really it's a sleeper that will toast any SVT Mustang.

[sarcasm for anyone who's ready to rage at me ;)]

It annoys me when I see someone lying thu their teeth about their car. You know they've been selling that song and dance to everyone. I've been to car shows with people passing off their 'SRS' edition Mustang. "Check it out, it says it on the steering wheel."

To clone or replica is one thing, to lie is another.

http://youtu.be/ijJgZWGO3VI

Seems legit.

2012-06-02151643.jpg

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", and that can be a complement. Trying to convince other people it's something it's not, is fraud.

I can admire a well done clone or replica someone has put together and admits it as such. Personalize your Mustang anyway you want, but just remember it's not a factory done Shelby (or Mach or Boss or etc.), and don't try to pass it off as such.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not acting high and mighty .... I just dislike fakes v6 with dual pipes, rally strips Shelby badging , trying to fool the world . Since I have grabber orange I get spotted and those v6 car try to Pass other cars to get closer and act as if there v6 is a v8 ...... I hate a fake ..... How did they get the Shelby badging anyway ? Only in ?? where u can have it made

I fire bomb there car!!! :extinguish:

These kids that add Shelby and Cobra badges to their cars aren't hurting anyone and I'm sure if they could afford the real thing they would buy one. What really aggravates me is the arrogance of the self appointed Shelby police. Just because you buy a Shelby doesn't give you the right to call out people for modding their Mustangs to their taste or finances. These cars aren't investments their big boy toys, drive them and enjoy them and quit worrying about what people with limited incomes are doing to their Mustangs.

Archived