TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacement for Halogen Fog Lamps

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norton...if you had it to do over would you swap out the fog bulbs? I hear that it looks much cooler but it doesn't improve getting light out. True?

What you've heard is correct. The appearance of 5K LEDs much more closely matches the HIDs. They even appear brighter when looking at them. Because the reflector isn't designed to focus light from the LEDs, however, they don't really illuminate the road much better than the stock halogen bulbs. All of that said, I would definitely do it again/over. (I didn't care for the look of mixed HID/halogen bulbs.)

What you've heard is correct. The appearance of 5K LEDs much more closely matches the HIDs. They even appear brighter when looking at them. Because the reflector isn't designed to focus light from the LEDs, however, they don't really illuminate the road much better than the stock halogen bulbs. All of that said, I would definitely do it again/over. (I didn't care for the look of mixed HID/halogen bulbs.)

Dear Norton,

Are you refering to the link above for the 5K bulbs: 5k http://www.vleds.com...1-pair-b-o.html

Please advise which one you bought it.

Thanks

LCL

I installed the vleds that had to be spliced... on my '08. I really like these: http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-fog-lights/h16-5202/5k-white-10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-5202-9009-h16-psx24w-1-pair-b-o.html but not sure how they would work with the 90 degree plug. The LEDs that Norton installed: http://www.vleds.com/5k-white-6-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-5202-9009-h16-1-pair-b-o.html , are the plug and play type. Maybe I missing something... anyone? Thanks

I installed the vleds that had to be spliced... on my '08. I really like these: http://www.vleds.com...1-pair-b-o.html but not sure how they would work with the 90 degree plug. The LEDs that Norton installed: http://www.vleds.com...1-pair-b-o.html , are the plug and play type. Maybe I missing something... anyone? Thanks

I had the same thought about the 90' plug, but figured MAYBE the picture was simply inaccurate since it does NOT look like the advertised PS24N (5202)-type connection. FWIW, mine were definitely plug and play.

I had the same thought about the 90' plug, but figured MAYBE the picture was simply inaccurate since it does NOT look like the advertised PS24N (5202)-type connection. FWIW, mine were definitely plug and play.

Thanks... I sent them an email requesting clarification. I will post their response...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SteelTown, Did you get clarification on led's? which are plug and play? thanks

He recently posted elsewhere that he went with the bulbs I have/recommended, so I assume the others were not plug and play. As I said above, these definitely are.

• 2 months later...

Norton, that link is bad...is there an easy way to find the ones you have?

The (5K, 6-LED, 700LM) bulbs I bought were discontinued in late-May. I believe they were replaced by this (5K, 10-LED, 850LM) version. I have no first-hand experience with the new version, but read a report from a 2014 owner that they are also "plug and play" and that he's "very happy with the color match to the HID" headlights. FWIW, I remain very happy with mine as well.

The (5K, 6-LED, 700LM) bulbs I bought were discontinued in late-May. I believe they were replaced by this (5K, 10-LED, 850LM) version. I have no first-hand experience with the new version, but read a report from a 2014 owner that they are also "plug and play" and that he's "very happy with the color match to the HID" headlights. FWIW, I remain very happy with mine as well.

Sweet,

Those are the ones I ordered!

I just put these on my car and I love them. The color is very close to the HID headlights, and they are the first LED fog lights I have tried that actually put out usable light on the road:

http://www.shop.bobsautosports.com/30-Watt-GT500-fog-light-LED-07-14-30W5202.htm

I've read good things about those too, Iceman. Unfortunately, they weren't available when I got mine late last year. If/when I need to replace the ones I have, it will either be with those or the new VLEDS that superseded mine. I suspect buyers won't go wrong in either direction.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I emailed bob's and got a great answer back. Here it is if it wasn't listed in another forum that I didn't see by chance...

Hi William,
The difference is the light output. The $29.99 ones are a nice color and match the OEM HIDs nicely but they don't have much usable light and are more just for looks.
The 30W ones are CREE technology and have built in solid state amplifiers and are very bright as well as a good color match.
I hope that helps.
Best regards,

Steve
Steven Pelini
Bob's Auto Sports"

Word of caution- the brighter ones I used mean I can't run with them on unless Im the only car on the road.

They throw light out only limited by the shape of the opening. This means any traffic coming at you is beyond blinded.

Its just not enough to drive by, and too much to leave on driving down the road. They do look really good together with the lights on and do match well with the headlights.

FWIW.

Dubbs you are running these 30watters then?

I get flashed even with my low beams on now. I just wanted something in my fogs that matched the OEM HIDS. I can't stand those regular OEM bulbs in those fogs. Looks terrible.

Thanks for the fyi man.

Will's

Top of the Day to you. I ran the Bob's 5205 LEDs and they were a great color match. As stated several places, they are for looks as opposed to lighting the road. Switched to HIDGuy 5k HID fogs earlier this summer as I live in a rural area with unlit roads. That said, the HIDGuy fogs are a great color match, run fine with no temperature dramatics about stuff melting, and they don't get me flashed by anybody, whether on a rural two lane or running the interstate. It's all good, brother - just depends on whether your requirement is simply color matching (LEDs) or illumination + color matching (HIDs). Attached is a shot of my car with the 5k HIDs from HIDGuy.

Enjoy the miles, shipmate.

Best wishes,

Quinn

I upgraded to the previous version of V-LED's 5K WHITE 10 LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS, before Bob's 30W bulbs were available. The color match is very good, the lights are much brighter than stock halogen bulbs, and I've NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic. All of that said, they're still just a cosmetic upgrade. They simply don't throw enough light by which to drive in the dark.

• 5 months later...

I just went out to install my 30 watters from Revan, car is on jack stands getting ready for the new tires this week. Anyway crawled underneath and cant even see the back of the lights. I assumed this one was going to be easy... maybe not.... do I have to remove a panel or two underneath?

I just went out to install my 30 watters from Revan, car is on jack stands getting ready for the new tires this week. Anyway crawled underneath and cant even see the back of the lights. I assumed this one was going to be easy... maybe not.... do I have to remove a panel or two underneath?

Technically, the bulbs CAN be installed without removing any panels. (You have to snake your hand/arm between the wheel well and fender, and do it "by feel".)

I couldn't do it, so I dropped the underside valence. Doing so made the job a piece of cake. Highly recommended. (There are some photos on SVTP which, unfortunately, is inaccessible following a system "upgrade". When I can get back in, I'll post a link for you.)

Archived