TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacement for Halogen Fog Lamps

For goodness' sake. Who is actually USING their fog lamps to improve visibility nowadays anyway?

Whatever you do, don't go beyond 5,000K or you'll soon be swapping your HID headlamp bulbs to match and finding yourself mucking around with reducing your overall useful visibility regardless of your fog lamps. Not to mention you'd be entering part of the temperature spectrum that really starts to piss-off people - which i fine, but not if you're also dumbing down your own car in the process.

Regardless of whether or not you could wind-up with a 25W HID fog lamp unit that never provides you a day's worth of grief, your best bet is a 5000K LED fog lamp and simply living with the diminished output.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For goodness' sake. Who is actually USING their fog lamps to improve visibility nowadays anyway?

Whatever you do, don't go beyond 5,000K or you'll soon be swapping your HID headlamp bulbs to match and finding yourself mucking around with reducing your overall useful visibility regardless of your fog lamps. Not to mention you'd be entering part of the temperature spectrum that really starts to piss-off people - which i fine, but not if you're also dumbing down your own car in the process.

Regardless of whether or not you could wind-up with a 25W HID fog lamp unit that never provides you a day's worth of grief, your best bet is a 5000K LED fog lamp and simply living with the diminished output.

How does say the 8000k piss people off? It is basically a crystal white light. see the pic and the first page. I can see it if you get into the range where the lights are pure blue or pink. Those look terrible. And as long as the lights are aimed correctly and not shining into the face of the oncoming traffic I don't think people really mind HID's. I always use my fogs to help with even better visibility. Both the heads and the fogs are 8000k and match perfectly and provide an amazing amount of light. If your gonna put in a led bulb just to match color you might well not even use your fogs because it will give you no increase in light. Just wasting money then. I always run with my heads and fogs on and have never been flashed once by anyone. Plus the crystal white light looks 100x better than the stock weak halogens. But if your car has the stock hid system I don't think the upgraded hid kits work with those lights. Only cars that have the halogen headlamps.

8000K that's sold as "Crystal White" either isn't White or it's not 8000K. Regardless of whether it looks better than the stock halogens or seeming "brighter", it's simultaneously reducing YOUR visibility while being more prone to make others' sight more difficult too. It's especially true for the foglamps whose reflective housings aren't made to focus multi-point light sources like LEDs. The end result is a far harsher light scattered over a much wider area - including other drivers' sight lines whereas conventional halogens would be focused upon a much smaller area that's generally lower. It may not be quite as bad as HIDs in reflective rather than projection housings, but the temperature range exacerbates the effect, even for fog lamps.

Swap wheels and tires in such a way that reduces rake and you make things even-worse for others still. As fog lamps, they're pretty-much fixed - but they're now scattering harsh light even higher than before. Just 1/4" change in rake and the effect upon light aim is dramatic.

Then there's 8,000K screaming "ricer", but that's another discussion entirely. Ford was going to offer the pony projector lamps in 8000K, but the pony silhouette kept looking like a rickshaw. :hysterical2:

HID kits are definitely NOT reducing your visibilty if you have a good kit. Have you ever had HID's that weren't just the stock HID's? It is providing SO much more light on the road and yes surrounding area a bit. That also helps so you can see something that might be on the side of the road like a coyote or deer you might be able to see it a little faster with HID's. Halogens are dull lamps that focus basically directly in front of the car. That's why it looks like it provides more light. If the light was spread out a little it would look like you have no light. No I don't know how these bulbs would light up in a projection housing compared to the reflective housing.

I think your perspective on "ricer" is a little misconstrued. Having pure white lights doesn't scream ricer. The pic below is of 8000k HID's. To me this is just technology becoming better. Rather than dull halogens you can definitely tell a difference in light output and "usable" light rather than LED light which offer basically no usability. Plus the light being scattered with the reflective housing isn't as bad as you might think. It's no worse than the lights you might see on a stock Cadillac. They are pretty bright and light up the road really well. I would say if your able to get the HID upgrade it is a definite must. Evidently hidguy's kits have been fixed because the bulb is actually smaller and less wattage. Have no signs of the bubbling in the housing at all.

008-1.jpg

HID kits are definitely NOT reducing your visibilty if you have a good kit.

Relative to what?

HID's will invariably produce more light than halogens in the same application. However, relative color temperature will not only reduce visibility the farther one strays from 4300K, it's a harsher color to other drivers which impairs their visibility too - a phenomenon that's further exacerbated if multi-point light types are mixed with reflective housings intended to focus and direct a single-point light source.

So yes, mucking around at 8,000K can both piss-off other drivers and impede your own visibility because of what a current generation Mustang requires to get there, no matter how much you like how it looks on your car which is based upon standing outside it rather than driving it, driving toward it or having its head/foglamps in your rear view mirror.

Color temperature and how a particular light is focused can have a greater impact upon the visibility they enable or distraction they create than the relative increase in light output (lumens). And as the color temperature chart above clearly shows, an actual 8,000K light is as ricey as unfermented sake. Only you can know whether or not that's a bad thing.

Construe away.

There are cheap HID kits out there trust me. Look on ebay. $30 for a kit, you get what you pay for. The color of the HID no matter if you have 8000k or 6000k can vary depending on what manufactures kit you have. one kit can appear pure blue and another's kit like the one I have is pure white. Yes when you get up into the pure blue temperatures definitely visibility will go down. But when the light is white that provides great visibility. My friend has the same exact kit in his GT and it is pure white as well. So I guess depending on who's kit you buy the light color may be different.

So the way your making it seem is that you hate people who have HID kits. So when I'm out driving my truck around that doesn't have HID's should I be pissed off when I see an HID coming my way? No. And I have had big trucks with HID shine right in my rearview mirror but it doesn't piss me off to the point I hate it. So are you saying that HID's should be done away with? Because even a 6000k HID will be very bright and can distract and possibly blind other drivers. Distractions and blinding doesn't suddenly start at 8000k. What about those extremely bright yellow lights? To me those are even worse and more distracting then the blue lights. The worst is the pink HID's. Here's another chart for comparison. See it doesn't have the exact same shades as the other chart. From this the 8000k doesn't appear too blue now does it? Just a little tint of blue.

hid_conversion_kit_color_temperature_chart.jpg

And trying to get back on track here.

People have just asked whether the LED's would be good for visibility and the answer is no. And could you use HID fogs or not. I have been for over a year. So seeing some have issues and other's not, I guess it would be try at your own risk. Just saying my experience, I have been running the 8000k heads and fogs and have had no issues of melting anything. My opinion these are the best lights I have ever had. Definitely light up everything especially road signs so you can see real easily. And again, they must not be too annoying to anyone because no one has ever flashed me saying my lights are too bright or shining in their face. Properly aimed HID's can be fantastic.

So every single person who put hid's in their fogs has burned them up? Every single one to buy hid's? I'm sure there's a lot of people who have them and haven't chimed in that they don't have an issue. I got the 25w bulbs idk if maybe that has something to do with it? I didn't go for the 35w. And that's not true about anything past 5000k is a waste because I have 8000k and they are not blue. They are white with a very small tint of blue. But it's not that stupid straight blue lights you see all the imports driving around with.

Just went out right now and checked the fogs again and absolutely nothing has been melted on them. Not the reflectors, not the lenses, nothing. Can't say why mine haven't and others are having issues.

I did read that thread on fordgt500 and yes it did seem like a lot are having issues. I looked at mine and mine does have the ventilation hole about the bulb. I seen the one pic Aviator posted and wow mine has none of that at all thank god. Also the bulbs in my fogs are thinner than that one. That thread was started back in 2009 so maybe the kits they sell now are updated to solve that problem.

All those people started with the 35 then when they made the 25 they got that and still had the same problem. It seems the bulb is too big for the housing so its too close to the lens and burns it up. There may be people like you who have not chimed in and use it just fine but it seems you are the minority case. And I had 8000k on my last car and they were definitely very blue compared to 4300k. Yes they were not stupid blue like if they were 10,000k but definitely blue compared to 4300k. If you look at a color spectrum graph past 5000k your not emitting white light anymore. It will start turning more and more blue until purple which is around 12000k. That is why stock HIDS only go up to 4300k. That is also why the fogs are halogen because that produces the most usable light.

If we put my car and your car back to back you would see my car lights up the road much better because my spectrum of light is more usable. But it could also be the finally updated their kit to solve the problem but I just wouldn't trust them unless they said they would replace any damage their bulbs would cause.

Though HIDguy.net from my experience I have ordered some stuff from them in the past and they gave me actually very good customer service.

There are cheap HID kits out there trust me. Look on ebay. $30 for a kit, you get what you pay for. The color of the HID no matter if you have 8000k or 6000k can vary depending on what manufactures kit you have. one kit can appear pure blue and another's kit like the one I have is pure white. Yes when you get up into the pure blue temperatures definitely visibility will go down. But when the light is white that provides great visibility. My friend has the same exact kit in his GT and it is pure white as well. So I guess depending on who's kit you buy the light color may be different.

So the way your making it seem is that you hate people who have HID kits. So when I'm out driving my truck around that doesn't have HID's should I be pissed off when I see an HID coming my way? No. And I have had big trucks with HID shine right in my rearview mirror but it doesn't piss me off to the point I hate it. So are you saying that HID's should be done away with? Because even a 6000k HID will be very bright and can distract and possibly blind other drivers. Distractions and blinding doesn't suddenly start at 8000k. What about those extremely bright yellow lights? To me those are even worse and more distracting then the blue lights. The worst is the pink HID's. Here's another chart for comparison. See it doesn't have the exact same shades as the other chart. From this the 8000k doesn't appear too blue now does it? Just a little tint of blue.

hid_conversion_kit_color_temperature_chart.jpg

And trying to get back on track here.

People have just asked whether the LED's would be good for visibility and the answer is no. And could you use HID fogs or not. I have been for over a year. So seeing some have issues and other's not, I guess it would be try at your own risk. Just saying my experience, I have been running the 8000k heads and fogs and have had no issues of melting anything. My opinion these are the best lights I have ever had. Definitely light up everything especially road signs so you can see real easily. And again, they must not be too annoying to anyone because no one has ever flashed me saying my lights are too bright or shining in their face. Properly aimed HID's can be fantastic.

Exactly as you posted look at the pictures of 5000k and 8000k. If you look at the very end you can see the floor much more clearly in the 5000k picture than with the 8000k. And obviously the 3000k just looks gross.

But anyways to get back on topic there is no aftermarket LED that I know of that will be as bright as the stock halogens. The new HIDs this year are fantastic though and there are many times I get flashed because people think I have my high beams on when I don't. They are one of the brightest HIDs I have ever seen in a car. The only other best I have seen is a lexus 460 L which turns night into day with its headlights.

I wonder how the GT LEDs work because the GT housing is the same as the year before and isn't made to reflect light from multiple points.

Seeing I started this thread - I would like to re-direct it a bit. Do the Factory LED Fogs on the '13 GT provide any usable light output, and if so, could they be retrofitted to the '13 GT500? I bought some $10 LED SMD bulbs for the fogs, color looks right but no usable road light - consistent with what everyone has said above.

-John.

• 2 weeks later...

Not if you get this. http://autoluminatio.../connectors.htm. If you get the 5202 connect for 5 bucks from this website then its plug and play. You splice the LED wire into the connector instead of your OEM wires and just plug the connector in.

Curious... what is the exact part number for the 5202 connector? The site search engine is not working for me... and I don't see the item on the link that you attached. Thanks

• 3 months later...

If you want something brighter than bobs and an exact match to your car get the 5000k 13 watt V-LEDs.

svt13,

What is the difference in lumens between the 7.5w Bob's Auto Sport and the V-LED 7.5W and 13W?

All Forum Members,

Has anyone installed these Bob 7.5s or V-LEDs (7.5 or 13)? I am just looking to hear good or bad feedback about the bulbs.

Thanks!

svt13,

What is the difference in lumens between the 7.5w Bob's Auto Sport and the V-LED 7.5W and 13W?

All Forum Members,

Has anyone installed these Bob 7.5s or V-LEDs (7.5 or 13)? I am just looking to hear good or bad feedback about the bulbs.

Thanks!

I am not sure bobs auto sports does not list it on their website. But the bobs are 6000k so they will appear blue compared to stock HIDs

The V-LEDs 5000k are the best option because they are the closest match.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, new to the forum, ordering my '14 double black vert next week. Figured I would start in this thread. I'm at a bit of a loss with this thread. This pic below is from the Ford Canada website and it states that the '13 GT500's have LED fog lights.

ledfog.jpg

And This from Ford USA shows the '14 has LED fogs.

ledfog14.jpg

???? What's the deal? Was it a Canada only thing for 2013?

Hey guys, new to the forum, ordering my '14 double black vert next week. Figured I would start in this thread. I'm at a bit of a loss with this thread. This pic below is from the Ford Canada website and it states that the '13 GT500's have LED fog lights.

I have a U.S. 2013, so I can't speak authoritatively to your Canada or 2014 questions. That said, my (south of the border) 2013 Shelby did NOT come with "LED fog lights". It had halogen bulbs that look pretty yellow, compared to the HID headlights. Plug and play replacements are available from a number of sources. (I got mine here.)

I have a U.S. 2013, so I can't speak authoritatively to your Canada or 2014 questions. That said, my (south of the border) 2013 Shelby did NOT come with "LED fog lights". It had halogen bulbs that look pretty yellow, compared to the HID headlights. Plug and play replacements are available from a number of sources. (I got mine here.)

Norton...if you had it to do over would you swap out the fog bulbs? I hear that it looks much cooler but it doesn't improve getting light out. True?

Archived