TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does any one have idea for KR's wheel ceter cap?

HGT500H

No, they do not interchange. The photo above shows the KR with 20" wheels, not 18s. I did not physically check, but asked this qustion to SAI 2 years ago and Robert said there was a difference betweent the two.

Interesting. The 20" Alcoa's use the same diameter as the standard OEM SVT center cap. There's a guy on ebay that's been selling the KR center caps...or perhaps someone on here with a KR can chime in on what the size of the KR center caps are.

No, they do not interchange. The photo above shows the KR with 20" wheels, not 18s. I did not physically check, but asked this qustion to SAI 2 years ago and Robert said there was a difference betweent the two.

I know the difference between the 20s and the 18s. That was precisely my point. If you look at the image closely, you will see that the center caps have the exact same design used on the KR 18s center cap i.e. SVT in the middle surrounded by the words "Shelby Automobiles". I know this does not prove anything, but it would seem strange to me that Shelby would create caps that are not interchangeable, but still look exactly the same. I consequently assumed that the caps that were on the 20s initially used on the show cars, and the caps then used on the production 18s were indeed the same.

Ask shelbypt. He has a set of both 18s and 20s (neither of which are on the car). I'm sure he could tell you if the caps interchange. I would think so.

• 3 weeks later...

The Centers do not interchange, as I just bought a set of the 20 inch alcoa wheels to put on my KR, and I tried to put my centers on the 20s, and they do not fit.. Its seems syupid that they wouldnt work, you would think all fords centers would be the same size...

The difference is in the machining of the center cap area. The detent springs are different on the center caps. It would be nice if shelby allowed kr owners to purchase the same center caps like the 18" for the 20".

It would be nice if shelby allowed kr owners to purchase the same center caps like the 18" for the 20".

Rob, is there ANY way we could get something like this? The 20's are staying on my KR probably forever and I would really like the KR caps for them.

Rob, is there ANY way we could get something like this? The 20's are staying on my KR probably forever and I would really like the KR caps for them.

+1. I would buy a set too.

Interesting. The 20" Alcoa's use the same diameter as the standard OEM SVT center cap.

No they don't.

KR center caps are the same as all other Ford center caps. Shelby Super Snake and SS style Alcoa's use a different diamter than Ford so you have to use Shelby center caps on them..

I have a set of 18" KR Alcoa Dura-bright wheels on my 2010 GT500. My OEM SVT center caps fit perfectly on my 18" Alcoa GT500KR Dura-bright wheels but they do not fit my 20" Alcoa Super Snake (style) Dura-bright wheels.

Chris Cognetta (Darthlord) sells SVT center caps that have been machined and a ring fitted to be used on the 20" Alcoa's on e-bay. You can run a search to find them or perhaps search for him on TS and ask him if he sells outright.

HTH,

Phill

The Centers do not interchange, as I just bought a set of the 20 inch alcoa wheels to put on my KR, and I tried to put my centers on the 20s, and they do not fit.. Its seems syupid that they wouldnt work, you would think all fords centers would be the same size...

That's the problem. They AREN'T both Fords. One is Ford (the KR) and one is Shelby (the SS). Shelby sells caps that fit Shelby wheels. Ford sells caps that fit Ford wheels.

Remember, the KR is a PRE-tiltle car and the Super Snake is a POST-title car. One is Ford, one is Shelby.

Phill

No they don't.

KR center caps are the same as all other Ford center caps. Shelby Super Snake and SS style Alcoa's use a different diamter than Ford so you have to use Shelby center caps on them..

I have a set of 18" KR Alcoa Dura-bright wheels on my 2010 GT500. My OEM SVT center caps fit perfectly on my 18" Alcoa GT500KR Dura-bright wheels but they do not fit my 20" Alcoa Super Snake (style) Dura-bright wheels.

Chris Cognetta (Darthlord) sells SVT center caps that have been machined and a ring fitted to be used on the 20" Alcoa's on e-bay. You can run a search to find them or perhaps search for him on TS and ask him if he sells outright.

HTH,

Phill

I'm running Chris' center caps in my 20" Alcoa's and yes, the detent spring area/depth is the issue. I don't have 18's to compare them to, BUT it seems to me that all Chris did for the 20's was rework the factory SVT's caps and add an aluminum ring to take up the slack in the depth for the detent spring to do their job. If the 18's have the same depth as the OEM SVT wheels then I would bet that if you had Chris' aluminum rings on the back and did the little machining he does around the cap "face" that they would drop in the 20's with no problem.

Archived