TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010-2012 Shelby Starter Button Switch

We'll get the info for you first thing Monday morning... if not sooner.

Jer

Wow, responding on a Sunday. Thanks Jer!

You're welcome.

My first bit of info to check is that you are looking at the right connector. From my manufacturer:

The customer is most likely looking at the wrong connector. I’ve had this come up a couple times and it is because the people normally are sure that they have the right connector, when in fact they are looking at the connector for the turn signal / high beam controls.

I ordered one for my 2013 GT500 and did the install today. I do have an issue I need to get some help with. The wiring diagram in the picture doesn't match my car. The pictures and instructions show 5 wires going into the ignition harness with instructions to tap into the blue/white and blue/gray wires.. Mine has a good 12-13 wires in it only one matches the color combo the instructions call out. It has power which is good and turns on and off with the ebrake so I know I wired it up OK for the most part. The specific issue is the blue/grey wire for the ignition itself. I have no blue/gray colored wires. I tried counting the PINS based upon where the blue/white wire was for the power but must have guessed wrong. I also didn't think to take a picture of it before putting it back together as I was in a hurry. I( also couldn't find any ignition wiring diagrams online so I'll need to contact Shelby directly for some help on this.

You're welcome.

My first bit of info to check is that you are looking at the right connector. From my manufacturer:

The customer is most likely looking at the wrong connector. I’ve had this come up a couple times and it is because the people normally are sure that they have the right connector, when in fact they are looking at the connector for the turn signal / high beam controls.

First, Jer, thank you for the invite although I wish smrtasp wasn't having any issues during the install - I'm happy to try and help out with tech questions on product installs or specifications. As stated above, the connector is the first thing to be looking at that must be properly identified. The connector you want disconnects toward the firewall (pulls away from you when seated), and is somewhat hidden from view even with the dash cover pieces off. If nothing looks like what we're describing in step 15 (figure 5) and (figure 11) of the instructions, you're most likely just accessing the wrong plug. While we haven't had a 13 GT500 in for a start button install yet, the wiring for the ignition does not vary that much from standard whether the car is V6, GT, GT500, or even from 10 to 11 when the entire drivetrain changed. Now that said, if this is not the case, then let's get a couple pictures to look at so we can help solve this for you, but this is where we need to start the diagnosis. You can either post them up or email us directly, whichever works better for you so we can see what you're seeing.

Thanks. I was using the video from YouTube as well while I was doing this and it looked like the connector was pulled off the bottom left. In fact in the video he says to pull the plug opposite the actual ignition which if the ignition is on the right, I looked left and found a connector. There is another connector in back that pulls away towards the firewall but given what i was seeing in the video it didnt look near long enough to hang down as far as could be seen in the video and when I looked at wire colors they didnt look right either. The connector I pulled did have 1 blue/white wire and because the ones on the other connector looked mostly yellow, I figured I had the right one. I'm going out now to pull it apart and will post some pics if it still doesn't look right.

So I can confirm that the plug on the back that pulls away towards the firewall doesn't match up either. Pics are below (apologies for the size)IMAG0149.jpgIMAG0148.jpg For reference, the pic below is from the original harness I tried to tap into. I have remove the wire taps to make sure Im not tapping into something I shouldn't be.IMAG0151.jpg

I think the video you are referencing is from CJ Pony Parts - a good dealer of ours, but not a video from us directly.

I can confirm that the original connector you were looking at is the incorrect one, going directly into the turn signal controls. I'll figure out what the other ones you have photographed there and get back to you as soon as I have confirmed the answer for you.

Ok, so I just went outside and disassembled our shop car's steering column to get some better photos to help you out - please look at the attached image. The connector you want comes from the plastic piece directly above it in the photo. If you look at the steering column from the bottom, you can see how the ignition cylinder connects directly to this connector via a molded tube shape in the column itself. This is the one you want - far to the left. To reach it, the release is on the left side of the plastic, behind it, so you will have to reach up and feel for it, and if you have big hands like me, it is a little tight to the side of the instrument cluster, but you can reach it.

It looks like you disconnected the connector on the top side of the column behind the multi function (turn signal) switch on your second attempt, which looks the same as the connector we have on our car here.

Let me know if this helps you.

post-40531-0-09073400-1363027875_thumb.jpg

post-40531-0-09073400-1363027875_thumb.jpg

I will give it a try tonight. I didnt see a third set of wiring going into the back of the steering column but I will give it another look. If im seeing your picture correctly and comparing it to the 3rd picture I posted above, the harness I need to pull is in the far left of my 3rd picture and would pull straight back. Its also at the top of my first 2 pictures. I will update this tonight.

I found it. Between the pictures in the photo copied instructions and the video I saw from CJPony, the harness looked like it was the one on the left for the turn signals. It might help to use the picture you took above and add an extra description with an arrow or something. In any case, its all good and working. Thanks a ton for the quick response!

Thanks, Marcello!

Jer

We used to sell the Ford Racing version (M-11572-GT), but it has been discontinued.

Search with Google, there may be a dealer with some left in stock.

Jer

No problem guys, always happy to help.

On the 2007 - we offer a "generic" illuminated version for that model year in green, blue, or red illumination. Wiring is identical, install though is quite a bit easier, and only takes about an hour or so since the passenger airbag does not need to be removed for access to the center console area. As Jer said, the Ford Racing piece has been gone for some time.

• 11 months later...

The blue start button came as an existing mod in my Shelby...I felt like a complete idiot trying to get it to work...I have been in cars with a push button start and the key just needed to be present, not actually in the ignition and turned two clicks to work. I finally had to Google it to see how to do it after trying every combination of break pedal/gear/proximity of key... Is there a reason that this particular design requires the key to be in the ignition and turned to the position just before actually starting the car? I am not trying to dog it, I am just a little confused and would like to know if someone can tell a newbie why this start button operates so differently from all of the others I have seen/used. Is it because it is after market so has no way to be linked to a chip in the key while the others were an option on the car at original purchase? Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Is it because it is after market so has no way to be linked to a chip in the key while the others were an option on the car at original purchase?

Yes, exactly.

Jer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little late to respond (we've been busy lately and I only see these posts if I go searching the forum for them) but you've "pulled" the wrong connector. The connector you want is all the way to the left, right before you're back into the dash, and is released by the tab on the left side, then pushed towards the firewall from the seated position. This will yield you the right connector, it is approximately 2" long x 1/4" in width. ALL 05-14 Mustangs regardless of trim level use the same connector, with color codes only being different between the 05-09, and the 10-14 model.

HTH.

- On edit - somehow managed to reply to the wrong thread even though it is about the start button. Sorry for the double-post / bump.

Archived