TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

Since the 2013 GT500 comes with a carbon fiber driveshaft, use the money saved on not upgrading to the aluminum driveshaft of the earlier models to upgrade the suspension further. CS heavy duty upper control arm and bracket, rear lower control arms for the rear axle. CS front lower A arms for the front suspenssion. Anti-wheel hop rear lower control arm brackets. This would give you a better handling car without upgrading to the full track package without sacrificing the ride quaility too much. A stripe delete option to make a sleeper Super Snake with a credit for deleting the stripes to be used for the purchase of other options available to a Super Snake, such as the rear brake upgrade. Add the CS handling pack as an option also to the list of available options to a Super Snake this would go nicely with the suspension upgrades that were coverd by the driveshaft

My next question will be what is going to happen with a car equiped with the Bilstein shocks. Are you going to keep these as part of the STV Performance Package with the Super Snake suspension upgrades that are standard now? If you order a car with the SVTPP and SVT Track Package will there be a difference in the cost to upgrade to a Super Snake when compared to a car without these options? If you upgrade the springs only with the stock Bilstein shocks, will there be a credit for not upgrading to the Ford Racing shocks?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed!

1 package of appearance, 1 for handling, 1 for horsepower, all 3 = Super Snake. Each package could warrant inclusion in the registry. Gives people who don't have the cash up front a chance to build as you go. More sales for SA, keeps the exclusivity of the SS. You don't get the SS moniker until all 3 packages are installed. Those with the ability to buy the regular SS package up front don't have their product de-valued by having regular horsepower Shelby's running around with SA sanctioned SS badging.

Interesting take. We do have our weekly product planning meeting tomorrow. Will bring this up. Thanks for the feedback.

Roger

Since the 2013 GT500 comes with a carbon fiber driveshaft, use the money saved on not upgrading to the aluminum driveshaft of the earlier models to upgrade the suspension further. CS heavy duty upper control arm and bracket, rear lower control arms for the rear axle. CS front lower A arms for the front suspenssion. Anti-wheel hop rear lower control arm brackets. This would give you a better handling car without upgrading to the full track package without sacrificing the ride quaility too much. A stripe delete option to make a sleeper Super Snake with a credit for deleting the stripes to be used for the purchase of other options available to a Super Snake, such as the rear brake upgrade. Add the CS handling pack as an option also to the list of available options to a Super Snake this would go nicely with the suspension upgrades that were coverd by the driveshaft

My next question will be what is going to happen with a car equiped with the Bilstein shocks. Are you going to keep these as part of the STV Performance Package with the Super Snake suspension upgrades that are standard now? If you order a car with the SVTPP and SVT Track Package will there be a difference in the cost to upgrade to a Super Snake when compared to a car without these options? If you upgrade the springs only with the stock Bilstein shocks, will there be a credit for not upgrading to the Ford Racing shocks?

Looking at several opportunities for upgrades and trade off's to the standard equipment. The stripe delete would conflict with the S-1000. That would be a hard sell. Do see the point though.

On non-SVT pack cars the Shelby Handling pack is certainly a possibility and could be standard package content with a "level" system as mentioned above.

We are working on 2 heavily loaded proto-types now. Suspension on the SVTPP and SVT Track Package content is being evaluated for upgrading. Nothing is off the table. When we look at pricing all content is evaluated. We do know there will be a cost changes and try to consider all content costs when evaluating pricing. We have also incured raw material cost increases across the board over the last 2 years since the last pricing restructure. Quite a bit of research and information gathering prior to any pricing structure.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. It is helpful.

Roger

Interesting take. We do have our weekly product planning meeting tomorrow. Will bring this up. Thanks for the feedback.

Roger

My pleasure. If you do anything along these lines, please include the 11-12's.

Looking at several opportunities for upgrades and trade off's to the standard equipment. The stripe delete would conflict with the S-1000. That would be a hard sell. Do see the point though.

On non-SVT pack cars the Shelby Handling pack is certainly a possibility and could be standard package content with a "level" system as mentioned above.

We are working on 2 heavily loaded proto-types now. Suspension on the SVTPP and SVT Track Package content is being evaluated for upgrading. Nothing is off the table. When we look at pricing all content is evaluated. We do know there will be a cost changes and try to consider all content costs when evaluating pricing. We have also incured raw material cost increases across the board over the last 2 years since the last pricing restructure. Quite a bit of research and information gathering prior to any pricing structure.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. It is helpful.

Roger

Roger

I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these cars, regardless of whether you do a stripe delete option or not. Whether I purchase the base GT500 from SA or through a Ford dealer for the Super Snake conversion it will not have stripes. I will not want SA to the add stripes as part of the Super Snake conversion. The only badging I want is the fender and grill emblems on the exterior of the car. It won't be mistaken as a S-1000 because the hood profile and wheels are different, along with the S-1000 badging. I doubt anybody is going to remove the S-1000 badging from their cars to create confusion at a later time, also the dash plaque with the SA VIN will tell everybody what it is.

My thoughts are all suspension and chassis upgrades that can be bought as individual speed parts from the Shelby Perfomance Parts Catolog need to be added to the option list of the Super Snake. You already have the suspension apart for the Super Snake package. Make it easier for the customer to upgrade at this time with parts you already produce if they want the ultimate in handling without having to modify the car afterwards with SA Performance Parts. This would also limit them from outsourcing to another supplier for the same basic suspension and chassis upgrades at a later time. Then the car will be shown in the Registry as having these parts installed as optional equipment at the time of purchase. It would increase the value of the car at a resale at a later date, plus make doing the upgrades cheaper because of the labor savings of doing the suspension modifications when you convert it to a Super Snake, versus adding these modifications at a later time to the car after the purchase of the SS package. If you're worried about ride harshness and customer complaints afterwards, have the customer sign a waiver to build the car with these options beforehand. If you decided to do this also add an optional wheel and tire package to accomadate the Track Package upgrade with its capabilities to use larger tires

By doing these things you can increase the sales of the Performace Parts, while also increasing work for your shop to install them as options to the SS. You would also make cars more individual to each customers tastes while at the same time creating cars that could have the possibilities of having lower production numbers in a group of SS's depending on the options installed. This would be a win/win for everybody

With the 2013 having painted door sills, drop the caebon fiber, but uses the cash from deleting these to make a carbon fiber rear defuser instead of the OEM black plastic defuser. Since you'll still have to produce this item for the 2011-2012 models, make it an option for the 2013

Whether I purchase the base GT500 from SA or through a Ford dealer..........

When did Shelby start selling cars???

Phill

Phil.........be nice :)

I didn't wanna jump up and say "SHELBY DOESN'T SELL CARS"....because I'm not positive you do/don't (things change).

I assume, you don't. Right?

Phill

When did Shelby start selling cars???

Phill

This maybe my mis-interpetation of what I was told by the Shelby reps at the Ford Nationals in Carisle PA last month. Since I don't own a GT500 I was led to believe that Shelby would procure on for me with the options and color of my choice, if I supplied the cash to do so. Now this would be a new 2012 model. I told them I was going to wait for the 2013 model. Since the local dealers in this area think a 2013 GT500 is worth 50% above the base list price I thought I'd purchase the donor car through Shelby if that is okay with you

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=20171&endYear=2013&keywords=Koons+Sterling+Ford&modelCode1=MUST&showcaseOwnerId=1361428&startYear=2013&makeCode1=FORD&listingType=new&bodyStyles=COUPE&keywordsfyc=Koons+Sterling+Ford&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=324323941&listingId=324323941&Log=0

I purchased a 2013 shelby gt 500 about a month ago and would like the brake upgrade (back) included in the price since you need them to stop this beast at high speeds without brake fade like some of the magazines are reporting...safety first..haha. I think the tungsten grey should be a stripe color option as it looked great with the 2007 black shelby gt. Also how about the back seat delete and optional roll bar with harnesses to go with the recaro seats you can get and install a fire extinguisher..i think it would make this car really stand out. what do you think?

Roger: My simple suggestion is to offer more stripe options. From my experience, many that are on the fence of SS'ing their GT500 want their stripes to match the stripes n the seats they already have. Just a friendly suggestion from what I hear and see constantly...I feel the market on the SS get's limited by the seats for many people...

Alex

shoot the seats wouldnt limit me lol, the fact I dont have 35k to plop down on top of the car itself is what limits me unfortunately. Maybe i can just live in my car....... dont think the wife will go for it but its worth a shot!

The car in stock form is GREAT.

Heck, in stock form it's putting out more HP than the 1st Gen Super Snakes were.

Change the hood to a Shelby SS style hood, add a CF front splitter, and you are already ahead of a early model Super Snake.

I agree with Alex on the stripe offerings. Not just to match the seat stripe colors, but also the OE window sticker & VIN. I know the lack of stripe options lost Shelby my $45K and I know of others who took the same stance as me. Black stripe? NO THANKS.

Phill

I know the lack of stripe options lost Shelby my $45K and I know of others who took the same stance as me. Black stripe? NO THANKS.

Phill

I feel sorry for Roger's head for the many times you have hit Roger / SAI over the head with this stripe issue.

I feel sorry for Roger's head for the many times you have hit Roger / SAI over the head with this stripe issue.

And I will continue as long as I can breathe.

Ironically, the very next year they offered the SS with a white stripe. Try defending THAT business policy/decision.

I was told, "It's our car"...yeah, and it's MY money. And their loss.

EDIT: I do not for one moment blame Roger Sorel for the business decision/policy that Shelby American has for their Super Snake stripe color. I know it is purely a business decision and I respect that. I think it's a *foolish* (i.e. stupid) decision but it is THEIR decision. If they're okay with losing $45K over a such a small variance like the color of a stripe, that's THEIR business, not mine. Like I said, I think it's foolish but that's just me (and apparently, a few others). It's my money and if they don't want it, it's their loss.

C'ya,

Phill

Roger can only offer what Shelby lets him. I think it is a very smart move for Shelby to offer different color stripes. This will keep those on the fence, teeter-tottering, to now get their stripe color....Wooo Hoo...

I like Phil's idea too of a window sticker from SA with the options the car had and were added during the conversion. Many Shelby owners care about simple $1.00 cost to SA for simple things such as this.

Alex

This stripe thing seems to be getting a little heated, I don't think it is a big cost factor for shelby and I think they will end up with more color choices. I also think they will act on some of the other ideas that have been presented to them, it will all work out in the end.

How about an inner wheelwell stamping that allows the factory one to be cut out and replaced with the new one. Upper shock mount would be relocated further inboard as would the factory bumpstop.

There would finally be room for a wheel/tire combination that met internal Ford clearance standards as well as allowing for something on the order of a 12" wheel with a 345 or a 355.

If you're going to call it a Super Snake, go all the way and give the car the rubber it has needed since day one. Commensurate fronts as well...

How about you have replacement parts available like the carbon fiber front splitter. I have been waiting since March, Wendy keeps telling me they are back-ordered, what the fu$k are they doing for the Super Snakes under construction, are they just sitting their waiting for front splitters. What a joke these people are.

How about you have replacement parts available like the carbon fiber front splitter. I have been waiting since March, Wendy keeps telling me they are back-ordered, what the fu$k are they doing for the Super Snakes under construction, are they just sitting their waiting for front splitters. What a joke these people are.

Wendy is right - SPP simply does not have splitters at this moment - they are in extremely short supply and we're not going to sell anything that doesn't meet our standards. Trust me, we're working with closely with suppliers to resolve the problem.

I would say don't focus too much on upgrading power because this car does not need a power upgrade really. Maybe if you want to do a power upgrade 700rwhp tops.

Focus on suspension and looks. Offer more stripe options like others have said, perhaps a grey stripe or red stripe. AND make it available for the public to buy. Also add more carbon fiber. Do some weight savings. CF hood, splitter (if you could make one like the new splitter that would be awesome), rockers, rear diffuser, spoiler perhaps, mirror covers (like the older super snakes had). If you really wanted to get crazy do kinda like the RTR-C and put cf doors and other stuff like that.

Definitely upgrarde rear brakes to bigger piston caliper.

New wheels, 20 inch all around with wider tire.

But main focus should be on suspension, cooling, then styling.

But for really important stuff like some cooling and styling stuff pleaseeeee offer it to the public. People will buy it and you guys will make way more money and can mass order these parts in bigger bulks to cut down on costs. And it won't take away from the people doing super snake conversions. No one is doing a super snake conversion just to get the carbon fiber rockers panels or the wheels. So just offer the small stuff to the public.

Still like the 3 stage suggestion.

As for power, lets face, we all are a bunch of horsepower junkies.

There's no changing that fact. If we weren't, we wouldn't be buying these cars and modding the hell out of them.

Stock at 662, SS offerings; 750, 850, or possibly 950. The Shelby vision was always more HP as well performance overall.

There's never enough HP.

Oh yea, stripe color options would be a big plus too.

Still like the 3 stage suggestion.

As for power, lets face, we all are a bunch of horsepower junkies.

There's no changing that fact. If we weren't, we wouldn't be buying these cars and modding the hell out of them.

Stock at 662, SS offerings; 750, 850, or possibly 950. The Shelby vision was always more HP as well performance overall.

There's never enough HP.

Oh yea, stripe color options would be a big plus too.

This ^^!

A few months ago on the original Super Snake forum I had mentioned a "Super Snake Appearance Package" for the 2013. Since the 2013 hp level is now where the entry level Super Snake has been for the past couple of years, the base/entry level Super Snake could be kept at the 660 or so hp level on the 2013 and have all other Super Snake options available (without a hp upgrade) as a entry level package. The car would look and handle like a Super Snake.............Then offer the upper level(s) of Super Snake options with the larger power outputs.

In this economy, the package I discribed above would bring in the buyers who can much easier afford a $20K+ entry level Super Snake vs. a $30K+ entry level Super Snake.

Roger - The 2013 will still be limited to a catback change only, as per 50 state legal emissions requirements?

R

Agreed!

1 package of appearance, 1 for handling, 1 for horsepower, all 3 = Super Snake. Each package could warrant inclusion in the registry. Gives people who don't have the cash up front a chance to build as you go. More sales for SA, keeps the exclusivity of the SS. You don't get the SS moniker until all 3 packages are installed. Those with the ability to buy the regular SS package up front don't have their product de-valued by having regular horsepower Shelby's running around with SA sanctioned SS badging.

I think this is an excellent idea as well. I feel that most of the Super Snake parts should be exclusive to the Super Snake.

I love the hood pins and I love my black stripes.

I definately think a larger rear tire would be very beneficial, like a 335.

Agreed!

The issue I see with this option is that SA builds the Super Snake, not the owner. If the only option for a budgeted owner is to build in levels for a final "Super Snake" at level three, the owner is going to have to send the car back to Shelby for each level upgrade, for my Super Snake build it was a round trip cost of $2400 from Fla. to Las Vegas and back. I don't know that many budget owners would "also" be interested in multiple trips to Shelby with their car.

There are also many "unique" Super Snake items included in the three levels you have mentioned above, if you start sending parts out that are unique for the Super Snake owner only, these parts will easily slip out into the general public which is something SA has attempted to control. <<Thank you SA!! One thing that comes to mind are the wheels.........If an owner buys a entry level appearance, what wheels would they get in the beginning?........then they send used wheels back for Super Snake specfic wheels when the time comes for level 3? or they "also" buy a second set of wheels for the final "Super Snake" level? Maybe the new wheels will not be unique as they are/were with the Alcoa Super Snake engraving? If the new wheel is not unique, maybe it could be a simple center cap swap........

As for the levels "before level 3", previously "appearance" items have been available through SPP, the SS hood, hood pins and heat extractors, Alcoas, CF rockers and splitter, etc. In the handling and braking department, the FRPP and Eibach have been readily available for any GT500 owner, same with the front and rear brake upgrades and their specific levels. The S/C's that are used on the SS have been readily available through SPP.

Since SA inspects each Super Snake upon completion to verify it meets "their" Super Snake specs, I don't know that Joe Lunchbox/Home Built Super Snakes of all varieties will meet the strict SA build specs.

I still believe that an entry level Super Snake, as outlined in post number 57 would meet the Shelby American specs from beginning to end of the Mod Shop build, while also bring the $$$ from buyers who are on a tighter budget............and the buyer would have a "Super Snake", not a work in progress toward a Super Snake.

R

Archived