TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Maintenance

Mark Miller

Took a trip to Central California a couple of weeks ago and turned over the 35,000 mile mark on the way up. When does everyone start thinking about shocks, struts, brakes, clutch, etc? Do you replace these items with the same parts from Ford Racing, or go the aftermarket route? I understand the upgrade to Brembo or Baer brakes (finances permitting) but what are the groups' opinions on the other stuff?

post-22209-0-13743500-1339380334_thumb.jpg

post-22209-0-13743500-1339380334_thumb.jpg

Took a trip to Central California a couple of weeks ago and turned over the 35,000 mile mark on the way up. When does everyone start thinking about shocks, struts, brakes, clutch, etc? Do you replace these items with the same parts from Ford Racing, or go the aftermarket route? I understand the upgrade to Brembo or Baer brakes (finances permitting) but what are the groups' opinions on the other stuff?

I'm coming up on 58,000 and haven't had to replace anything but oil and filters. Personally, I don't think it matters on normal wear and tear items like brakes and struts. I'll go with whatever is the best product. Maybe Tokico D spec and Baer? I know one little thing that gets overlooked is the cabin air filter. If you haven't already, you might want to change it out. Mine has been pretty nasty by every 15K.

The cabin filter is a great tip. I take my car to a local Ford dealer and the service writer happens to be a fellow golfer. He takes care of me. The point is that he got me onto the cabin filter replacement regimen early on. Thanks for the advice!

As for shocks, struts, brakes, clutch, etc, I upgrade the rotors on mine to the Baer GT's 2 or 3 years ago. If / when the struts need replacing, I would go with the original again. If the clutch goes I might think about upgrading it at least one step up, but I might also just have my Ford dealer put in an original - I guess it depends on what's out there and who's saying what when the time comes.

Tires are a different story. When my original BFG's finally wear down (or rot) I'm going with a hi-performance summer tire...currently thinking Continental or Michelin.

Is the cabin air filter hard to replace by the "shadetree mechanic"?

As for shocks, struts, brakes, clutch, etc, I upgrade the rotors on mine to the Baer GT's 2 or 3 years ago. If / when the struts need replacing, I would go with the original again. If the clutch goes I might think about upgrading it at least one step up, but I might also just have my Ford dealer put in an original - I guess it depends on what's out there and who's saying what when the time comes.

Tires are a different story. When my original BFG's finally wear down (or rot) I'm going with a hi-performance summer tire...currently thinking Continental or Michelin.

No, nothing to it! Open the hood, take out two plastic clips on the pass side cowl cover and it slides right out and back in. 5 minute job tops!

Here ya go buddy... it's a quick job. Have you changed your fuel filter yet? Mine has about 42k miles, only oil changes, cabin air filter, tires, brakes, brake oil (went DOT4) and many smiles. My FRPP suspension is ok, one day I'll go Tokico adjustables but for now mine are good to go. Whatch the you tube vid for the air filter change. If you need a how to for fuel filter I can hook ya up with that also, just ask.

Archived