TEAM SHELBY FORUM

PLEASE HELP! Problems with new Whipple SC and Procal tuner

TNTchris

Friends of the forum,

I purchased a new part # M-6066-M11P7, which is a Ford Racing Whipple Supercharger with 550 HP for a manual transmission for my 07 SGT. This was installed my mechanic at Huber performance who specialize in performance race mustangs. Everything went great with the install for the manual is straight forward and everything is plug and play for the most part. I used my voucher that came with my kit to order the ProCal tuner and chip.

To regress slightly, a few weeks before Huber installed 4:10 gears in place of my stock 3:55's. I ordered a tool from Ford Racing to calibrate my speedo then sent the tool back to Ford. All is good car ran great!

The new ProCal tuner and chip arrived and my mechanic tried to install but the tuner would not work. Ford then next dayed my a new tuner and chip to go with it. Huber then tried install the new tune and the tool worked but the chip would not? I called Ford Racing an they forgot to put the tune on the chip and they next dayed me a new chip. Huber installed the tune and all was good I thought...

I was so excited that my car was finally finished after waiting 6 weeks for the SC and which seemed forever for the car to get completed. I did not let Huber test drive the car. I took off and that is when all the problems started:

1. My airbag light came on.

2. I had no power in the car and it was like I did not even have a SC.

3. Engine light came on but went off in a minute.

I babied the car home and called Huber. He told me to hook up my Procal tuner and send Ford racing the codes that came up in my tuner:

PCM 07E0

TCM 07E1

ICM 0720

ABS 0760

SJB 0726

4x4 0761

USR 0700

Ford Racing was very confused and said these codes were codes for an automatic transmission and a 4x4? They thought it may be a voltage problem.

I had Huber come to my house and use their computer and these are the codes and items that came up:

14.3 volts

Misfire in cylinders #1, #4, and #8

Codes:

P0300

P0301

P0304

P0308

B2292

These codes were continuous and came up with the key in the on position and when the car was running.

The volts obviousily are great. I pulled the plug in cylinder #1 and it was fine. The car smells like it is running lean?! We cleared the codes and took it for a very short controled drive then hooked it back up to the computer and both sets of the same codes came up again? I checked all the wires on the install and everything is in check? Does anyone any clue why these codes are coming up? Ford Racing engineers are dumb founded and do not have any answers for me? I told them I thought the problem was in the tuner or chip but these said it was not? Is there something that could damage these chips in transit? Static or a magnet? PLEASE HELP! DO I have my PCM cleared andd start over; would that help!? Any Ideas!

Thanks in advance

Chris

I am hoping someone on here has some connections @ Ford Racing and they could pull some strings for a fellow Team Shelby member at the top level!

Very Frustrated as my SGT sits when we have beautiful weather and I missing a Mustang show at our mueseum of transportation

May want to verify vin# that was sent when you purchased SC and tune. Load factory tune back in and start over or clear PCM and reload if tune is correct for vin#. If it continues, may want to try new pro cal tuner and chip or even different tuner if possible

Good luck.

That part of the problem. They lost my factory tune with the second chip! I no longer have my SGT tune! I the vin numbers are correct.

Oh shit! That's not good. That was going to be my next bit of advice. Load the OE tune, disconnect the batt, reconnect and go through the idle learn process, then try loading the FRPP tune.

Do you still have the first Procal and SD card? Your OE tune should be on the first SD card but you'll need to use the first Pro-cal that was married to your VIN to upload it with.

This has GOT to be frustrating.

How about going to a Ford Dealer and having the OE tune reflashed?

EDIT: Also check all of yoru wiring, connections and wiring routing. I've seen misrouted wires cause really strange problems like this. Be ABSOLUTELY sure that all sensors are connected too. When I first started my GT500 w/FRPP Whipple 2.9L tune it ran like crap, punched a bunch of codes, etc. I left the MAF sensor unplugged by mistake. Connected it and cleared the codes with the procal and it was perfect after that (except for ONE time under high RPM decell when it set a code and MIL).

Phill

Just looked and the MAF sensor is connected and the flow is in the right direction. Wen thru all the wire again and evyerthing is good and tight. I am going to call Ford yet again in the AM!

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to thank all of you for you comments, pm's, and emails. At the end of the day my mechanic came up with the solution of the problem. He said it was the plugs, he said he came up with the idea in the middle of the night. The symtoms were all leading him to think that something was blowing the spark out on the plugs. After 3 days of telling Ford Racing this they finally comp'ed me a set of new plugs. The plugs arrived and I compared them to the ones in the car. The part numbers were the same but the ends of the plugs were completly different??????? So much so my mechanic was hesitant about putting them in.....then we decided what the hell! We put them in and the car ran like a champ!!!! No issues! WOW, holy crap this car is fast!!!!!!! I called Ford racing in the AM and told them and they said whipple changes the end of the plugs along with the gap after they receive them for Ford Racing and they could have been damaged in the process? WTF?! It took 3.5 weeks to get to the bottom of this issues with no help from the Ford Racing engineers, the just keep blaming my mechanic! I will say that Ray Herron and Ford racing returned and answered every phone call and email. he was very responsive.

The one issue that I still have outstanding is that my airbag light is still on? Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks

Chris

Well guys problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to thank all of you for you comments, pm's, and emails. At the end of the day my mechanic came up with the solution of the problem. He said it was the plugs, he said he came up with the idea in the middle of the night. The symtoms were all leading him to think that something was blowing the spark out on the plugs. After 3 days of telling Ford Racing this they finally comp'ed me a set of new plugs. The plugs arrived and I compared them to the ones in the car. The part numbers were the same but the ends of the plugs were completly different??????? So much so my mechanic was hesitant about putting them in.....then we decided what the hell! We put them in and the car ran like a champ!!!! No issues! WOW, holy crap this car is fast!!!!!!! I called Ford racing in the AM and told them and they said whipple changes the end of the plugs along with the gap after they receive them for Ford Racing and they could have been damaged in the process? WTF?! It took 3.5 weeks to get to the bottom of this issues with no help from the Ford Racing engineers, the just keep blaming my mechanic! I will say that Ray Herron and Ford racing returned and answered every phone call and email. he was very responsive.

The one issue that I still have outstanding is that my airbag light is still on? Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks

Chris

Try this link

AIR BAG WARNING LAMP ON—DTC 2295 IN RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE AND LAMP FLASH CODE 22—BUILT 3/1/2007- 4/15/2007

Attached Files

Did you get the airbag light to go off? Besides the above link, do you have the Shelby gauge pod installed? If so, make absolutely sure you have tapped into the correct wire under the dash, (white with a yellow tracer if I remember correctly), if you tap into the wrong one, you will get the airbag light!

It happened to me!

Sam

Thanks Dave C! I will try that. I appreiate the help.

Sam, I did not get the gauge pod yet. That is on my wish list! Did you install yourself? Along with the oil pressure line? How long did it take? When ordering thru Shelby those are the only two parts I need to order for the SC version correct?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Yes, I did the install myself, (that's how I found out about the numerous ways to screw up! :hysterical: )

I ordered the complete pod, (pre-installed gauges and pre-wired), along with the S/C version of the oil pressure adaptor. That should be all you need to order from SSP.

Install was straight forward (except for my bad eyes with the wiring) and took approximately 2-3 hours.

Sam

Archived