TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whats She Worth?

Jadavis525

I wanted to ask the members out there, if these new Shelbys since 2007 and beyond will be worth anything or bring the prices of the 60s of today in the future. I love my Shelby regardless and it was never about the money when I bought her but more just asking everyones opinion on it?

heading into my 5 season with the Shelby. whats it worth well

Great road trips

Piles of new shelby friends

Met Carroll

Met Bill Neil and his lovely wife

2 track days (never done that before)

The list goes on

Oh yea met Grabber who introduced us to Alex who :spend: LOL

Can't put a price on what this car is worth to us. In fact we are planning on buying another :spend:

Frankly, I don't think so. The GT500s were a production car with volumes that will not support prices comparable to the original GT500s or GT350s. At some point in many many years you would expect to see some higher values, but nothing more than what you see today with, for example, a fine example of a 69 GTO. Sure the car only cost 3500 and are selling for 35000, but they won't sell for 350000.

The cars that were passed through Shelby American as part of the manufacturing process (i.e., Shelby GT and GT500KR) will probably have some higher values. But it will take a long time. And it won't be retirement fund money.

Cars modded by Shelby, i.e., SuperSnakes, are low enough in volume and different enough in characteristics they will probably have higher values, ala, the Yenko Camaros.

Note that ALL of the cars I used as baseline comparison went down before they went up.

I think if you want a Ford that will hold its value get a Ford GT (I did). I do not expect to retre with it but today I'm not losing money either.

CARS ARE NOT AN INVESTMENT. DRIVE IT WHILE YOU GOT IT. Let the next generation sort it out.

heading into my 5 season with the Shelby. whats it worth well

Great road trips

Piles of new shelby friends

Met Carroll

Met Bill Neil and his lovely wife

2 track days (never done that before)

The list goes on

Oh yea met Grabber who introduced us to Alex who :spend: LOL

Can't put a price on what this car is worth to us. In fact we are planning on buying another :spend:

Well Said. :rockon:

The memories are just beginning with mine and I hope I can tally such a list. I think of it as an investment in smiles rather than dollars lol. When that baby cranks I smile every time...momma told me there'd be days like this and thank the lord I get to enjoy them with a Shelby!

Frankly, I don't think so. The GT500s were a production car with volumes that will not support prices comparable to the original GT500s or GT350s. At some point in many many years you would expect to see some higher values, but nothing more than what you see today with, for example, a fine example of a 69 GTO. Sure the car only cost 3500 and are selling for 35000, but they won't sell for 350000. The cars that were passed through Shelby American as part of the manufacturing process (i.e., Shelby GT and GT500KR) will probably have some higher values. But it will take a long time. And it won't be retirement fund money. Cars modded by Shelby, i.e., SuperSnakes, are low enough in volume and different enough in characteristics they will probably have higher values, ala, the Yenko Camaros. Note that ALL of the cars I used as baseline comparison went down before they went up. I think if you want a Ford that will hold its value get a Ford GT (I did). I do not expect to retre with it but today I'm not losing money either. CARS ARE NOT AN INVESTMENT. DRIVE IT WHILE YOU GOT IT. Let the next generation sort it out.

No disrespect intended, but how do you you figure your not loosing money on the Ford GT? Is it earning money for you? I'm far from a financial wizard, but 100K+ sitting under a mattress is loosing money IMO. Now, if I owned the Ford GT and didn't give a crap about what it was worth, that's another story. Do you see what I'm stepping in?

No disrespect intended, but how do you you figure your not loosing money on the Ford GT? Is it earning money for you? I'm far from a financial wizard, but 100K+ sitting under a mattress is loosing money IMO. Now, if I owned the Ford GT and didn't give a crap about what it was worth, that's another story. Do you see what I'm stepping in?

Nope not making money, but the market isn't making money either. If I'm going revenue neutral I'm going to have some fun. I'm sick and tired of putting my money in either a losing market or earning interest at .01%. EOM.

If you have a better investment strategy let us know how it works out between now and the end of the year.

Nope not making money, but the market isn't making money either. If I'm going revenue neutral I'm going to have some fun. I'm sick and tired of putting my money in either a losing market or earning interest at .01%. EOM.

If you have a better investment strategy let us know how it works out between now and the end of the year.

When it comes to cars, I don't have an investment strategy. I have cars that we drive every day out of necesity, then I have my mustangs and a couple others. The only car I'm thinking about using to help me save money is my 07 Shelby GT500, I'll sell at a loss (big time) from purchase price but am going to pay down my mortgage and refinance at about 3%. I do enjoy the car very much but being conservative is more important to me.

I didn't do well as buying into the "Limited Edition" Shelby but I can live with that mistake.

It's like most things, 30-50 years from now will it be worth something to someone? Sure! I'm 41 and I enjoy classic muscle cars my dad had and would be willing to pay for the "right" one. The right one to me is perfectly 100% unmolested. I know this it's not a solid investment if you are looking for a future returns. These are great cars, compaired to a lot of the 60's muscle cars they are somewhat limited production. But using an example from dodge, my dad loved chargers. The production numbers are quite high. A 383 or 440 is no big deal, the hemi is what you want and pulls the biggest money. Considering our shelby's we have the hemi. Enjoy it, thats what I am doing. I bought mine to give to my son when I am gone (he will be 9 this year). When that day comes I bet it will be priceless to him. In the event it may be "worth something" Mine will be 100% orginal, other than some jaeger front splash gaurds and maybe a n2mb wot box only if they will make it an inline plug and play (doubt I'll bother). I dont know how anyone can say they wont be worth something. Look at the things people collect, and what they are willing to pay for something they want bad enough.

Reminds me of the new member who bought another members red 2011 shelby. If you saw the pictures of that car when it was for sale, most of the car still wrapped in plastic. What was that one worth? What if we compaired that car to another, same year with 10,000 miles with mods?

Unless it's in a bubble, and never driven, it WILL need a restoration by the time it's actually worth something, and the cost of that restoration will LIKELY eat all the "profits" right up. The above post about a '69 GTO, same thing, I would bet that the $3,500 car got about $20-30K worth of resto work and/or repairs along the way. Hell, if I add up my costs of first building my '68 coupe 12 years ago, and the costs to make it a nicer and much more fun car to drive this time around, I'd be LUCKY just to break even on parts money if I sold it. Knowing what I'd charge to build something like this, it would be a HUGE loss if I couldn't do 100% of the work myself.

It's a hobby, and you only live once, screw the bottom line when it's something you love.

So many things can factor into the value of a car. Year, make , model , production #'s , provenance , ect ... but the main thing is how bad does the buyer want it and what are they willing to pay for it. That will be how much it's worth. Use Barrett-Jackson as an example. Many of the high sellers aren't worth what is paid, but somebody with deep pockets wanted it and paid whatever it took to get it. It's an emotional process. So basically it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Kevin

07SGT2591

The Shelbys will definitely be collectable in the future as long as there are cars, there will be collector cars. The most collectable Shelbys will be those modified by SAI, and the ones with the lowest production numbers will be at the top of the list. Those cars will be the 2008-2009 KR's, 2007 GT-H convertibles, 2008 Shelby GT convertibles, 2006 GT-H coupes, Shelby GT/SC's, GT 500 Super Snakes, GT 350's, and the 2007 anniversary GT 500's. Personally, I see the Shelby GT/SC's being very collectable in the future, especially the Barrett Jackson supercharged convertibles and the 2008 convertibles. Anything with low production numbers should do well, to include the 2008, orange Shelby GT's. Soft-tops have always been very collectable, and with that said, I'd look for a convertible to maximize my investment - to include the GT 350, Shelby GT and Super Snake. Although I might seem biased, I bought the SGT convertible with the GT/SC package because it will be a very rare ride someday.

Archived