TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Wear

bigsnake

Got any pics of the tire ? Excessive camber will wear progressively across the tire - so measure your tread depth from outside to inside and see if it diminishes as you move across . If not and it is only one of the front tires it means that tire is starting to or already has separated the belts from the body plies . Too much TOE OUT will cause wear on both front tires . Belts only cover 80% across on the tread area - so if it's only worn out on the last 1" to 1-1/2" of the inner tread area and pretty even across the rest that confirms a separation. Replace the Tire.

This morning I took the car to first the Goodyear place and they stated either tie rods bad or alignment but no separation, then to my Ford dealership where two techs looked at it and they stated alignment was bad. I go back to the Ford dealership Monday and they are going to align the front end.

I think your Goodyear people are wrong ( or just don't want to warranty your tire) because BOTH front tires would be worn down on the inside if you had excessive "TOE OUT". The definition of TOE is " The difference in measurement/distance between the front of the wheels and the back of the wheels on the same axle " It effects both tires not just 1tire and from what I can see in your pictures it's just the one. You will still want to replace that tire because the rubber is gone and not coming back. Did the Goodyear guys even do an inspection of the front end to check for play in the tie rod end ? Make sure that the Ford guys at least do a full inspection before aligning the car because if there is any worn parts it is NOT going to hold an alignment. By law they have to give you a before AND after readings on the alignment . The whole thing smells fishy to me ( I have over 35 years experience in Automotive specializing in chassis as a Tech and also as a teacher ). They should be able to validate everything they say and do for your money. JMO

I talked to the service manager and the tech( SVT certified) that will do the alignment and told them both I wanted the tie rods and front end suspension inspected and was told I will get a printout on everything that's done.

I will not be charged as the car only has 9,700 miles on it and will be covered by warranty, we made that clear.

I will post the results after my appointment Monday morning.

We shall see.

FYI

not sure of the changes on your year but 07-09 the struts use a rubber bushing that flexes all over the place. I had same issue until I upgraded struts and castor camber plates.

Back from the dealership and the problem was negative camber at -4. All specs were set to standard, suspension was checked, tie rods, ball joints were good . It was covered under warranty.

WOW - that's hard to believe ! I have never been able to get that much negative camber out of a S197- a negative 4 degrees you say. Well that is a surprise after seeing your pics but very happy that you got it taken care of. Enjoy the ride !

Archived