TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Smart Kid!

So, I go to a local Nathans Hot Dogs for lunch, place my order at the window, and sit at an outside table wating. Its been a few weeks since I've taken the KR out, but the weather was just too perfect today not to. A black BMW pulls up and this kid, about 14 years old, comes bolting out from the passenger side. He's circling the KR and staring at it with a HUGE smile on his face, looks up at me and says "Excuse me sir, is that your KR?" I said yes, and he said that he knew everything about them but had never seen one in person and wanted to take some pictures.

While he's doing that, his mother gets out of the driver side and was shaking her head. "I had to do a u-turn in the middle of the road and haul-ass to catch up with you. He is a Shelby nut and knows everything about every Shelby ever made." It was then that I noticed he was wearing a Shelby t-shirt with the snake on the front. He proceeded to tell me all the specs about the KR, from horsepower & torque to the rear-end ratio, kind of blower, tires sizes on front and back, and on, and on, and on. Then he noticed the Shelby autograph on the air bag cover and I think he started to get some wood. No way I was going to look and see, but I can remeber being that age, and just about anything would set you off! He then got his mother to take a couple pictures of him standing beside it, and the look on his face was priceless!

I've seen stories here about others who run into young kids who know what a Shelby is, and have experienced that a few times myself, but never would I have imagined someone so young would know more about these cars than many of us here!

Oh, and as they were walking back to their car, after taking about 40-50 pictures, the kid turns around and starts walking back towards me, with his mother saying "No, that's enough. Leave the man alone and let him eat his lunch!" He approaches me rather timidly and asks "Would it be too much trouble for you to crank it up and let me listen". Well, of course I did, and I thought he was going to crap his pants.

Just had to share that story with all of you!

Awesome story. There is a 15 year old who has been battling cancer since he was 5 and he told his aunt that he would give anything to have a ride in that car-so he is getting a ride for his next chemo treatment!

So, I go to a local Nathans Hot Dogs for lunch, place my order at the window, and sit at an outside table wating. Its been a few weeks since I've taken the KR out, but the weather was just too perfect today not to. A black BMW pulls up and this kid, about 14 years old, comes bolting out from the passenger side. He's circling the KR and staring at it with a HUGE smile on his face, looks up at me and says "Excuse me sir, is that your KR?" I said yes, and he said that he knew everything about them but had never seen one in person and wanted to take some pictures.

While he's doing that, his mother gets out of the driver side and was shaking her head. "I had to do a u-turn in the middle of the road and haul-ass to catch up with you. He is a Shelby nut and knows everything about every Shelby ever made." It was then that I noticed he was wearing a Shelby t-shirt with the snake on the front. He proceeded to tell me all the specs about the KR, from horsepower & torque to the rear-end ratio, kind of blower, tires sizes on front and back, and on, and on, and on. Then he noticed the Shelby autograph on the air bag cover and I think he started to get some wood. No way I was going to look and see, but I can remeber being that age, and just about anything would set you off! He then got his mother to take a couple pictures of him standing beside it, and the look on his face was priceless!

I've seen stories here about others who run into young kids who know what a Shelby is, and have experienced that a few times myself, but never would I have imagined someone so young would know more about these cars than many of us here!

Oh, and as they were walking back to their car, after taking about 40-50 pictures, the kid turns around and starts walking back towards me, with his mother saying "No, that's enough. Leave the man alone and let him eat his lunch!" He approaches me rather timidly and asks "Would it be too much trouble for you to crank it up and let me listen". Well, of course I did, and I thought he was going to crap his pants.

Just had to share that story with all of you!

Great story 0058................that kid will help keep the thrill alive.

Awesome story. There is a 15 year old who has been battling cancer since he was 5 and he told his aunt that he would give anything to have a ride in that car-so he is getting a ride for his next chemo treatment!

Wonderfully done verlyn12................... :salute:

Great story and thanks for sharing.

Here's another:

I did the SoCal memorial that DenStang setup. Brought a colleague of mine. Told him to bring his son. His son has gone through some rought times over the last few years. But....I knew he was crazy about mustangs. So I said bring your son.

The young man spent the day surrounded by beautiful mustangs. He tried not to show it, but he was in awww.

My plan was to give him incentive in his life. His father is a great example for him; however, sometimes.....it's better to see/hear/feel affirmations from someone else.

I believe he is 17-18 years old.

About a block from home, I pulled over and said, "your turn Nick". He jumped at the chance. He drove the car and I let him run it so he felt good about himself. And built his confidence. He did very well.

I week later, I get a hand written letter in the mail. He thanked me profusely for inviting him. For letting him drive the car. And most of all, for believing in him. He discussed the importance of making the right moves in life. He discussed that without the right moves in life, a car like this isn't possible. He re-affirmed his commitment to building up his V-6 mustang on his own, with his father's help, in their garage.

His letter was very touching. He meant it. I promptly responded with a hand written note, saying that I've made more mistakes in life than I have, "right moves", and that his father is an excellent example of making all the right moves. And highlighted my, "success", in being that the measure of a man is what he does in failure, not in success. And that through many failures, I am where I am today because I fought like hell. And nobody gave me a dime. Not my parents, not the government (even though for 4 years I qualified for food stamps but didn't apply for), not anybody. And that if I can do it, he can too.

If our cars can be the catalyst for someone wanting a goal that they can see/feel/touch/hear, then I think that's the way Carroll would like to be remembered most.

Thanks for sharing your great story. Mine isn't as spontaneous....more like a planned and calculated jolt of belief in NIck to help him. And letting him drive the car, obviously showed complete trust as he was in an extremely powerful car that he had never even come close to being at the stick on, showed him that I believed in him. Hopefully, it will be an enduring day for him.

Steve

Great stories guys. Nice to see young people developping an interest for our cars, and Shelby owners taking time to have positive interaction with them. That's how we will help grow a new generation of car people.

I completely agree. These are both great stories that get the next generation involved and invested in Shelby. My brother got me involved so long ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. These kids - and others we can inspire - will remember these times as well when they get into the hobby and keep the dream alive.

Thanks for sharing!

Archived