TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby - Wife vs. Kids in WAR Over Auto Legend's Body

Grabber

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carroll Shelby's wife and kids in fight over auto legend's body

carroll-shelby-in-1964.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/07/carroll-shelbys-wife-and-kids-in-fight-over-auto-legends-body/

By Chris Paukert RSS feed

Posted Jun 7th 2012 2:30PM

Comments18

Death dredges up all matter of emotions in those around the deceased. For the fortunate, it brings up warm – if difficult – memories and a coming together of loved ones. However, it's all too common that a passing exposes old wounds and creates new ones among those left behind. Such appears to be the case with Carroll Shelby and his family.

As you'll recall, the automotive icon passed away in Dallas after a protracted illness on May 10, but according to celebrity gossip site TMZ, Shelby's family is still squabbling over what to do with his remains, so his body sits interred in a freezer at a medical examiner's office.

The dispute is reportedly between Shelby's wife Cleo and his children. Cleo has apparently been estranged from Carroll since he petitioned for divorce back in 2010, but she claims the two were still married, giving her sway over what happens to his body.

For their part, Shelby's children say their father signed a document giving control over his remains to his oldest son, a claim that Cleo is apparently disputing, arguing that Carroll lacked the "physical capacity or eyesight" needed to sign off on the paperwork. Further, there's word that Shelby himself filed a petition to have the couple's 14-year marriage annulled in April on grounds that Cleo mislead him about everything from her assets to her actual name.

There's no resolution in sight, but TMZ reports that a judge could still award Shelby an annulment posthumously. However, it isn't immediately clear that such an action is being pursued.

In his 89 years, Shelby saw and survived a great many things, from serious race car accidents to the loss of (previous) spouses to painful lawsuits – not to mention both liver and heart transplants. He was a tough and savvy man who battled a lot of demons, many of which were of his own creation. Even so, we're glad he's not around to bear witness to this distasteful mess.

I suggest you remove this and we all honor the legend and let the heirs work this out privately

Mike,

I mean no disrespect at all. In fact I have lots of respect for the man. That should be apparent by the memorial I held for him. Carroll was a very public figure. Fox news is even running this story. I posted this thread so we as members could express our feelings about this. If TS does not want us to do that, then they have the right to take it down since they own this site. However the members here are tired of the censorship that has occurred here in the past years. Remember that movie "The good, Bad and the ugly" ? Life is full of all 3 my friend.

edited for spelling

Carroll Shelby was a public figure, and as such is open to public discussion. So long as we keep the discussion respectful and w/in the forum rules, I see no reason for Team Shelby to remove the thread. Anyway, I'm curious to see how all this unfolds!

Isn't that odd? I posted it about 6 AM this morning and it disappeared all of a sudden reappeared. <_<

That's news to me. I saw in on the TS Facebook page, Autoblog, Fox news and TMZ...but not here.

First, It's not gossip. It's been reported in legitimate media sources. He was a very public figure so there's no hiding it. Secondly, as Shelby fans we have a legitimate

concern as we demand respect for someone we greatly respected ourselves. Hiding the matter in these forums will not remove it from hundreds, if not thousands of places on the internet it already exists.

Talking about it here is at least a way to vent about this horrible matter between ourselves as an extended Shelby family.

This was on here by someone else and it disappered......

Isn't that odd? I posted it about 6 AM this morning and it disappeared all of a sudden reappeared. <_<

Thanks...I thought I was seeing things....

I'm not sure if some of us are on the right track here. What we need to keep in mind is how great of a man he was as it impacted the passion in all of us--his automotive ingenunity. We all suspect John F. Kennedy may have not been the perfect man, but few would argue that he wasn't a fine President. Let's keep our eye on the ball and let the man rest in peace and honor him for what he was to the automotive industry. I personally could care less how he ran his personal life.

I'm not sure if some of us are on the right track here. What we need to keep in mind is how great of a man he was as it impacted the passion in all of us--his automotive ingenunity. We all suspect John F. Kennedy may have not been the perfect man, but few would argue that he wasn't a fine President. Let's keep our eye on the ball and let the man rest in peace and honor him for what he was to the automotive industry. I personally could care less how he ran his personal life.

:salute:

+1...

Mike,

I mean no disrespect at all. In fact I have lots of respect for the man. That should be apparent by the memorial I held for him. Carroll was a very public figure. Fox news is even running this story. I posted this thread so we as members could express our feelings about this. If TS does not want us to do that, then they have the right to take it down since they own this site. However the members here are tired of the censorship that has occurred here in the past years. Remember that movie "The good, Bad and the ugly" ? Life is full of all 3 my friend.

I won't comment on the article and content itself, however, I must agree with Rob/Grabber that this is in the public domain now and since it's newsworthy, it deserves a place for discussion. Some might find it distasteful; although, some wish to engage in this topic.

You posted it at 5:52 here.

For a reason that we are looking into, the post was unapproved. The only time that a post should be unapproved is under strictly limited conditions - such as copyright infringement, obscenity, hateful attacks, etc. In my view, critical commentary should be tolerated. . .so long as it's written in a constructive manner.

I put controls in place a while ago for Team Shelby that prohibits the permanent deletion of topics, so I found the topic and approved it. I will put more controls in place, such as alerting me personally when a post is hidden.

I'm sorry that the topic was hidden from view.

First, It's not gossip. It's been reported in legitimate media sources. He was a very public figure so there's no hiding it. Secondly, as Shelby fans we have a legitimate

concern as we demand respect for someone we greatly respected ourselves. Hiding the matter in these forums will not remove it from hundreds, if not thousands of places on the internet it already exists.

Talking about it here is at least a way to vent about this horrible matter between ourselves as an extended Shelby family.

Partner - You hit the nail on the head with your post. Thank you sir !

I won't comment on the article and content itself, however, I must agree with Rob/Grabber that this is in the public domain now and since it's newsworthy, it deserves a place for discussion. Some might find it distasteful; although, some wish to engage in this topic.

For a reason that we are looking into, the post was unapproved. The only time that a post should be unapproved is under strictly limited conditions - such as copyright infringement, obscenity, hateful attacks, etc. In my view, critical commentary should be tolerated. . .so long as it's written in a constructive manner.

I put controls in place a while ago for Team Shelby that prohibits the permanent deletion of topics, so I found the topic and approved it. I will put more controls in place, such as alerting me personally when a post is hidden.

Robert,

Thank you for clearing the air. Now you need to train up some of your new moderators. :hysterical:

I attended a fundraiser at the Shelby American Collection Museum in Boulder, Colorado in August of 2011. Carroll was there, appearing rather feeble, but told some good stories and seemed to be in good spirits. He was doing well to achieve a slow shuffle, and always had people to help him get around. I was lucky enough to speak with him briefly and get my picture taken with him. Other visitors came to him wanting autographs, but I heard Carroll explain to them that he couldn't sign his name because he was effectively blind. He said he could see people standing around him, but could not recognize them or even know who it was that was speaking to him. I admit that he had a rather blank look in his eyes and almost no eye movement. It was sad to hear him explain that, but I felt very fortunate to have had the opportunity to be in his presence one last time. If I remember correctly, Cleo was there and seemed to be having a nice time. They did not seem to be estranged, but there was no way for anyone to say one way or the other based on that one afternoon. His personal business was his own, but God bless him for what he did publicly. He will be missed.

I see it like this - I don't think the actions of his family after his death (the subject of this topic) have anything to do with Carroll Shelby's accomplishments in the automotive industry & motorsports. As for his personal life, I like knowing more about him. He did other stuff besides cars.

As for Kennedy, I won't discuss that because it would be political and we're not allowed!

I attended a fundraiser at the Shelby American Collection Museum in Boulder, Colorado in August of 2011. Carroll was there, appearing rather feeble, but told some good stories and seemed to be in good spirits. He was doing well to achieve a slow shuffle, and always had people to help him get around. I was lucky enough to speak with him briefly and get my picture taken with him. Other visitors came to him wanting autographs, but I heard Carroll explain to them that he couldn't sign his name because he was effectively blind. He said he could see people standing around him, but could not recognize them or even know who it was that was speaking to him. I admit that he had a rather blank look in his eyes and almost no eye movement. It was sad to hear him explain that, but I felt very fortunate to have had the opportunity to be in his presence one last time. If I remember correctly, Cleo was there and seemed to be having a nice time. They did not seem to be estranged, but there was no way for anyone to say one way or the other based on that one afternoon. His personal business was his own, but God bless him for what he did publicly. He will be missed.

Yes Cleo was there in August 2011. I have been to this event for many years, which used to happen in December. He actually spent more than 4 hours there, which is more than ever in the past. He told many great stories. I actually thought he looked better than many years previously. Was one of the best events I had attended there with Carroll. I feel very blessed to be at that event as it was an amazing one, and one of the last he was able to attend. I thought it was great. Here's a couple shots I took that day of Carroll.

Telling many stories. One of the best was about when a young George Lucas came and worked with him as a bright eyed kid who was excited about the cars.

116_0185.jpg

Some friends of mine:

116_0192.jpg

Carroll and I that day:

116_0194.jpg

Yes, Cleo was there.

116_0181.jpg

Good post Robert.

The only thing I can say is, don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

TMZ is "Tabloid Media" and we all know the Tabloids NEVER get anything wrong....

However, that is a very interesting article. I too picked up on the alleged statement that Shelby wasn't physically or mentally capable of signing his name. I've seen Media interviews with Shelby alert and somewhat healthy although I did notice his physical condition deteriate over time.

Phill

I agree Phil, but we must remember the Eagles song " Dirty Laundry"!! Sad to say this is what a lot of our "news" has become. I will always be glad that I got to meet him last year. I was a teen when the Shelby mustangs came out and always wanted one and I love my 2010 500. RIP CS.

"estranged from Carroll since he petitioned for divorce back in 2010"

This is what I don't understand. I have seen a LOT of Photos from 2011 AND 2012 that shows Carroll and Cleo together having a nice time with both smiling and enjoying each others company........like Husband and Wife. Was it all a sham or is the statement false?

There is a video out from Fox news on this story. They interviewed Carroll's son Pat Shelby and also talk about the fact that all Carrolls assets and money belong to the foundation so this is not about money. So they say. They also talk about a deposition on Cleo that is getting ready to take place today to figure out why she is doing this. I found it interesting that they said that Cleo talked Carroll out of completing the divorce.

Here is the interview:

http://www.myfoxdfw....ver-his-remains

Archived