TEAM SHELBY FORUM

JerseyGator does Summit Point

jerseygator

Folks, first I'd like to thank all who have expressed concern for my well being. Second I'd like to thank the gentleman that hit me for being a stand up individual. This was not easy for him. As bad as I felt, I became the celebrity. He damaged his car too, but became, "that guy"... I thank god that everyone involved is okay. Remember we had instructors in the cars too.

Anyway, here's what happened from my vantage point. On the 3rd session of the first day, we both were driving very well out of turn 9 and headed up the "bridge" straight into the final turn (10) before the front stretch. I was on the line heading from the entry and had crossed over the apex. As I started accelerating for the exit. I was stunned by a hit from my passenger side. It was surreal. Spun sideways to the right and then back to the left as I went into the grass in front of the paddock wall. I had too much speed to stop the car from hitting the wall. Most the damage was from the impact of the other car. The front bumper damage is from the tires stacked in front of the padock wall.

"That guy" told me that his breaks were gone and he couldn't stop from hitting me... So there it is. Shyte happens.

I had a blast and would do it again in a second. So many of us, me included, only drive these fine automobiles on the road. You can't appreciate the capabilities of these cars untill you turn them loose on a professional track. They are simply amazing! :worship: They belong on the track... Thank you Carroll Shelby! :superhero:

Here's the pics... Before the sigs.

Side.jpg

photo.jpg

After the sigs... Thanks everyone! :rockon:

My local NJ Stangers signed the front bumper...

bumperSigned.jpg

Team Shelby and other celebs signed the door...

SideSigned.jpg

Steve Davis (president Barrett Jackson). He even wants me to send him a pic when I get it off the car. He'd like to use it for a story on Barrett Jackson. B)

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

Jim Owens (Ford SVT program)

IMG_4467.jpg

John Luft (President SAI)

IMG_4450.jpg

And yes... I got back on the horse! Got a tech inspection the next day and tracked her again. As my good friend Gary Patterson says, "I had some damn fun!" :shift:

IMG_4409.jpg

That is a great story. I had a couple of costly adventures in the past on the track (primarily Watkins Glen), but after the years past you'll forget the costs and feel great about the story you can tell...plus you have the added advantage of the Shelby and Barrett Jackson recognition - that's great!!

Yeah baby! Was fun. I'm glad you took it on the track in the first place to experience the thrill and learn to be a better and safer driver on the street. There is no substitute for proper high speed driving instruction and track time. Best of luck. BTW, I think it'll buff right out.......

So true.

Thanks Dan, Bob and Craig...

Yeah baby! Was fun. I'm glad you took it on the track in the first place to experience the thrill and learn to be a better and safer driver on the street. There is no substitute for proper high speed driving instruction and track time. Best of luck. BTW, I think it'll buff right out.......

Tony you funny man! :finger:

True Grit for sure - Proud to be a part of this team!

Best part of it all was the example Pete set for the rest of us for the event since we still had the rest of Wed. and all of Thurs. to finish. If something like this was not going to discourage him, then everyone else had no excuse but to keep charging hard at the track.

So Pete, it was an honor to share the track with you.

-Tom

Best part of it all was the example Pete set for the rest of us for the event since we still had the rest of Wed. and all of Thurs. to finish. If something like this was not going to discourage him, then everyone else had no excuse but to keep charging hard at the track.

So Pete, it was an honor to share the track with you.

-Tom

:salute:

Adams must have something that will take that right out.

Peter, your great attitude is inspiring and you have turned this mishap into a special memory for everyone. It was great to meet you and I will gladly share the track with you again anytime. Thanks for letting my sign your car. Here are a couple pics from the parade.

P1030477.jpg

P1030478.jpg

Hey,

Didn't anyone ever tell you that 13 is an unlucky #. Glad your ok ,parts can be replaced people can't!!!! Look at the bright side, look at the support you got from so many people in high places. Good luck with the repair. Ed

Peter, your great attitude is inspiring and you have turned this mishap into a special memory for everyone. It was great to meet you and I will gladly share the track with you again anytime. Thanks for letting my sign your car. Here are a couple pics from the parade.

P1030477.jpg

P1030478.jpg

:rockon:

Thanks...

Hey,

Didn't anyone ever tell you that 13 is an unlucky #. Glad your ok ,parts can be replaced people can't!!!! Look at the bright side, look at the support you got from so many people in high places. Good luck with the repair. Ed

:rolleyes:

Thanks... I do count my blessings... Could have been much worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates from the body shop... Haldeman Ford in Hamilton NJ.

IMG_4604.jpg

Contemplating how to take the door skin off.

IMG_4595.jpg

The body guy. Bill 35 years of service doing body work for Haldeman Ford. My baby's in good hands...

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

Starting to remove the skin...

IMG_4602.jpg

The skin is off!

IMG_4603.jpg

Taping off the edge of the skin...

IMG_4610.jpg

Done...

IMG_4613.jpg

Preping the garage wall for the skin...

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

Let the body work begin!

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

The door is hung!

IMG_4647.jpg

In honor of Carroll Shelby... I think he would be very proud. :superhero:

IMG_4649.jpg

Went and saw my girlfriend today. She's looking pretty dayum good! :happy feet:

They were spraying the hood!

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

Painted and repaired the rear quarter panel... Looks new!

IMG_4655.jpg

New bumper, lights and splitter. Without stripes...

IMG_4652.jpg

Front Quarter...

IMG_4653.jpg

Side shot.

IMG_4654.jpg

Pete,

Got some great stories to tell, some great art for your wall in the Garage. Even better to hear that no one was hurt.

As my father said to me when I was 16 and got into my first accident. "Cars, equipment can be easily fixed, repaired or replaced; people cannot." It may be that I was driving a company car at the time (Dad owned the company), but he was a lot less mad about it than I think most would have been.

Take care, wish I could have made it this year, but had to move down to Hell’s Waiting Room (Sorry, Gulfport, Mississippi; still recovering from Katrina).

Pete

Peter-

The garage, and now the car, are both looking GOOD!

Hope to see you at the Wicked BBQ.

Best.

Pat

Thanks Pat... :salute:

Lord willing! I'll be there.

Pete,

Got some great stories to tell, some great art for your wall in the Garage. Even better to hear that no one was hurt.

As my father said to me when I was 16 and got into my first accident. "Cars, equipment can be easily fixed, repaired or replaced; people cannot." It may be that I was driving a company car at the time (Dad owned the company), but he was a lot less mad about it than I think most would have been.

Take care, wish I could have made it this year, but had to move down to Hell’s Waiting Room (Sorry, Gulfport, Mississippi; still recovering from Katrina).

Pete

Hopefully next year... You should try to make it down to the Wick Nationals here in Jersey on Aug 4th.

Just saw this...sorry to hear about the mishap Peter, but you made a great thing of it and have a nice display on your garage wall now. It was great to meet you in Vegas.

Alex

Thanks Alex... Likewise my friend. Hopefully our paths will cross in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived