TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mobil 1 Question

Snoopy49

I just got off the phone with SVT Performance and asked them if there would be a warranty problem if I used Mobil 1 5W-50 in a 2013 GT500 and they said no problem. The guy I talked too said one of the reasons they only recommend Motorcraft 5W-50 is because it was the only oil they used during testing.

NAPA has Mobil 1 5W-50 and it goes on sale tomorrow, Jun 1, 2012, for $5.79 a quart. This is in California, I don't know if it applies to the other states.

Part Number: MOB 98HF24

I would be interested in hearing the pros and cons concerning the use of Mobil 1 in a GT500. I would really like to take advantage of the sale. :D

Thanks

I did a search and found a lot of noise and very little substance. Most of the posts end unsatisfactory. After researching the Ford and Mobil websites, the 2 oil have more in common than is suggested in some of the posts I have read. Both oils seem to have the same phosphorus and zinc levels. Levels which would kill a flat tappet engine. I am not sure what effect it would have on our engines other than extending the life of the catalytic converters.

I don't expect to get my car until August, ordered 27 May, so it's not a live or die situation. I am just trying to find out if I should jump on the deal at NAPA or keep looking for a suitable substitute for Motorcraft.

I say if you can afford this car, then you can afford and oil change at Ford every 7.500 miles or so.

I won't even drive it that much in a year. Come on 2 oil chages in a year at about $100-150 (And that may be a Gross Overestimate) is anywhere from $200-300 a year. Personally I'll just take it to ford, although there is something to be said about the guy who changes their own oil, I do on anything that is out of warranty, It just seems easier this way, if not a bit lazy. And hey, I can admit to lazy, I am very self aware!

LOL - I am afraid that being extremely cheap all these years has warped my mind, but then again I would not be able to afford the car if I had not been frugal with my money all these years. The last new car I bought was in 1986 and it was a stripped down Honda Civic wagon, the only options were a/c and an FM/AM radio. So this is a huge leap forward. I guess that is what happens when you start having friends your age or younger drop dead.

Anyway I am to old to change my habits when it comes to money. I may be cheap, but when it comes to buying things, I always buy the best I can afford, I just need to research the item before buying. I hate to waste money on over-hyped goods.

I say if you can afford this car, then you can afford and oil change at Ford every 7.500 miles or so.

I won't even drive it that much in a year. Come on 2 oil chages in a year at about $100-150 (And that may be a Gross Overestimate) is anywhere from $200-300 a year. Personally I'll just take it to ford, although there is something to be said about the guy who changes their own oil, I do on anything that is out of warranty, It just seems easier this way, if not a bit lazy. And hey, I can admit to lazy, I am very self aware!

Please be very careful if you take your car to a Ford dealer unless you have a good relationship with the dealer's SVT mechanic. There are tons of horror stories out there about the kids they have working at the lube shop in the dealerships...stories about the same oil that is used in a regular Mustang being put in a GT500, stories about owners getting calls from the dealership after they have left with a request to bring the car back because either the wrong amount was put in (usually a quart less than is required because they were looking at the wrong capacity sheet that was either for a GT or V6) or the fact that they did not use fully synthetic Motorcraft oil. Very dicey to take your car to a dealership for an oil change...if you drove a Focus or a Taurus...no problem.

I won't even drive it that much in a year. Come on 2 oil chages in a year at about $100-150 (And that may be a Gross Overestimate) is anywhere from $200-300 a year.

It isn't always about money. Some of us don't trust many people enough to let them touch our cars. I've heard more than one story about dealers who thought 5w-20 was the reccomended oil for the Shelby. I personaly don't like to take my car in for anything unless I absolutely cannot do the work myself.

Other people just don't like the motorcraft oil.

I believe the Mobil purchase option is a good one. At one point not to far in the past Mobil was the manufacture of Motor Craft oil. I am not sure if they are still but I will need to ask around. I also understand the want to do your own oil change. Given some of our geographic locations through out the US our locations do not produce a vehicle loving dealer or staff. To some its "just another Ford" . When I was still ripping wrenches in Florida I use to have guys and gals travel 150 miles just to have me work on there specialty Ford products. For me it only felt right to do it right..... Go figure that one out.

I just talked to a next closest dealer and they quoted $10.17 a quart. That's an incredible difference in price between two dealers that are about 30 miles apart.

8 quarts x $28.79 =$230.32

8 quarts x $10.17 = $81.36

Difference = $148.96

WOW!!! Just talked to the nearest Ford dealer and got a quote on Motorcraft 5W-50 oil, $28.79 a quart. That's $230.32 for 8 quarts of oil. Can you say "bend over and spread your cheeks"? :o

Bend over and spread your cheeks.

FWIW, you can get Castrol at Checkers that meets Ford Spec. I have a few bottles in my garage and can check the SFI spec if needed.

Phill

I just talked to a next closest dealer and they quoted $10.17 a quart. That's an incredible difference in price between two dealers that are about 30 miles apart.

You might want to double check with Dealer #2. I have a feeling he gave you the price of Petro based (Dino) oil and not Synthetic. Or maybe Semi Synthetic. The GT500's require FULL Synthetic.

My dealer charges some incredible amount for their Syn oil too. Not nearly as crazy as yours but damn near. I think they said it's 9 dollars and change MORE THAN regular Dino oil so probably about $18 per qt.?

My dealer gives buyers free oil changes for the first two years of ownership so it was free to me, including the filter. Every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. And ONLY the (lone) SVT Tech was allowed to work on my car, including oil changes. The Service Mgr. is beholden to me so he actually called the poor guy in from home one time to come in and change my oil (on a walk-in oil change).

Now that my 2 yrs. are up, they won't see hide nor hair from me! I'll change my own using Castrol or Mobil 1 (which I think is THE best Syn. oil).

Phill

........Mobil 1. Possibly the best oil on the market today.

I agree whole heartedly. Been using it in all of my cars and bikes since it first came out.

Phill

Please be very careful if you take your car to a Ford dealer unless you have a good relationship with the dealer's SVT mechanic. There are tons of horror stories out there about the kids they have working at the lube shop in the dealerships...stories about the same oil that is used in a regular Mustang being put in a GT500, stories about owners getting calls from the dealership after they have left with a request to bring the car back because either the wrong amount was put in (usually a quart less than is required because they were looking at the wrong capacity sheet that was either for a GT or V6) or the fact that they did not use fully synthetic Motorcraft oil. Very dicey to take your car to a dealership for an oil change...if you drove a Focus or a Taurus...no problem.

I have driven a Focus......and SVT Focus. The Dealer is good and they have been for years. Although I can totally see your points and they make sense, because of warranty I don't want to give them any chances. I know how careless I am with keeping records (Not my Forte) so I will trust the Dealer. Like I said I have a relationship with them, so the probablility they mess someting up is lower, yest still existent.

I can see the points though.

I have driven a Focus......and SVT Focus. The Dealer is good and they have been for years. Although I can totally see your points and they make sense, because of warranty I don't want to give them any chances. I know how careless I am with keeping records (Not my Forte) so I will trust the Dealer. Like I said I have a relationship with them, so the probablility they mess someting up is lower, yest still existent.

I can see the points though.

If you have a relationship with a dealer that is good, like you state, that is great. I have not found one in my area that I really trust.

8 quarts x $28.79 =$230.32

8 quarts x $10.17 = $81.36

Difference = $148.96

apparently a few guys recommend mobil for the tranny fluid as well

Wow. Can't believe some of the prices you guys are quoting for oil. My dealer in FL gets $9.15 per quart for Motorcraft 5W-50 full synthetic. Some of you are getting the shaft for sure.

devious_stang: For the 2011/2012 models, Mobil 1 ATF is the only fully synthetic fluid recommended by TREMEC for the TR-6060/T56-Magnum applications. I quote Nate Tovey's (Director of Enthusiast Marketing for TREMEC) answer to one of my questions by e-mail:

"As for your question on fluids… For warranty purposes, we recommend sticking with whatever fluid the O.E. vehicle manufacturer specifies. This will help to protect you from issues of ‘deniability’ in the event that you have an issue and seek warranty coverage through your dealer. That said, unless otherwise specified by the customer, TREMEC uses/recommends conventional Dexron III ATF in all TR-6060/Magnum applications. Mobil 1 ATF is also an acceptable substitute in Magnums. And just as an FYI, the Magnum 6-speed is an aftermarket version of the exact same transmission that is in your GT500; utilizing the same materials for its synchronizers."

I am not positive the above applies to the 2013 Shelby TR-6060 transmission. You 2013 guys might send a note to Nate with the question - nathan.tovey@tremec.com

Archived