TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help confirming really poor MPG for 2012 GT500?

ccnelson2285

I purchased a beautiful 2012 Kona Blue GT500 - absolutely love the car, but not the MPG. I have kept careful manual records of MPG for several months, and I have consistently gotten just over 12 MPG with very conservative driving - mostly city, and a little highway. I have not even remotely achieved the lower end of the range advertised, which is 15 MPG in the city. I have called Ford's SVT department twice now inquiring if this seems strange, and they've told me the mileage should improve as the car ages (I have under 2k miles).

What kind of mileage are others getting with their Shelby's? Can anyone confirm that my mileage of ~12MPG is out of the ordinary? Any advice?

thanks!

Thanks all. Not that I purchased a Shelby for Gas Mileage, but 12 MPG was a little alarming. It just reached over 13 (whoo hoo!) and I've been told that mileage will improve over time (still less than 2k miles).

If you don't reset your mileage calculator in your Drivers Information Center (DIC) it will show you the average mileage over the life of the car. So if you started with 2mpg it will take a long time to get it up past 12mpg.

Try calculating your mileage "the old fashioned way", with a calculator and pump reading. You may have MUCH better gas mileage than you think. Unless you *did* reset the DIC mileage indicator already.

I get pretty decent mileage both city & highway and mine is far from stock.

It's ALL dependant on how far your right foot is from the floor, period, end of story, finito. Well, unless you have an ultra rich condition (stuck open injector, excessive fuel pressure, etc.).

Phill

What kind of mileage are others getting with their Shelby's? Can anyone confirm that my mileage of ~12MPG is out of the ordinary? Any advice?

I average about 13.5 on the high end in all city - stop and go driving. If I get on it at all..it drops to high 12's. So I don't think it's that out of the ordinary for yours. Now, if you were doing 50 mile trips on highways...and got that - there would be a problem. I can get near 25mpg on highway trips.

My milage improved a bit as the car broke in. I'm at 6K miles now. Getting 16mpg around suburbia here, low 20s on the highways, not that it would make much difference to me - I love driving this car no matter what! (Uh, unless rain is in the forecast or the temp is below freezing!) Fill 'er up and enjoy it! Good taste in color BTW.

IF I pay attention to the shift arrow and IF I keep my foot out of

the supercharger... I have gotten 21+ with a mix of some town

and a lot of highway driving. If I spend time running around 'town'

and making the 'charger whine... I get 14-15.

It gets better MPG then any other supercar out there.

"Supercar"???

Phill

My milage improved a bit as the car broke in. I'm at 6K miles now. Getting 16mpg around suburbia here, low 20s on the highways, not that it would make much difference to me - I love driving this car no matter what! (Uh, unless rain is in the forecast or the temp is below freezing!) Fill 'er up and enjoy it! Good taste in color BTW.

Thanks for the input. And love your picture - that's my car exactly. I agree - absolutely love the color.

"Supercar"???

I think it's a pretty super car...

I have 6k on the odo and currently averaging a calculated 18 mpg in mixed driving, I've even noticed the DIC mpg is pretty darn close - first car I've owned where it's not at least 1-2mpg off

I've got less than 2000 miles on my 2012 GT500 and it's been getting pretty decent mileage when not in "drive it like you stole it" mode. Being one of those "tech" people I use Fuelly to keep track of MPG's on the vehicles. Here is the Shelby :

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/nshttpd/mustang

The spike up to 21 MPG was highway driving (ATL to Barber Motorports Park and back) on I-20.

-steve

No idea what your situation is but the big factor is your driving habits. In my case my gas mileage went WAY down from the SGT to the Boss. But after aging more attention I realized I was driving differently in the Boss. The Boss loves to rev high so you don't get the feedback to up shift. I also tend to downshift more because I love the sound. Net/net my driving has changed to where I'm doing the things that will hurt mileage without being aware.

My case...and your mileage my vary!

Woo Hoo! I finally get to out-perform the GT-500 with my n/a Shelby GT! I do all city driving and get 22mpg, taking every opportunity to rev the engine and accelerate unnecessarily in traffic, with no thought to being economical. I have no idea what I'd get on a long highway trip, but it'd have to be in the high 20's. I still have serious supercharger-envy, though. I'd happily give up some mpgs to run with the big guys.

• 2 years later...

Here's a link to the mileage history of my beautiful Kona Blue 2012 GT500 SVTPP!

https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/mustang/2012/CriminalPilot/249412

As you can see, she has her good days and her bad days. Depends primarily on how much I press the gas pedal that day! My best is 8.5L/100KM which is about 27MPG US (that was all highway), and my average as you can see is right on the nose of 15MPG.

I drive relatively aggressively, accelerating from red lights up to the speed limit quickly, aggressive through wide open corners, etc. Low-gear, high RPM.. I like to listen to her purr loud enough to drown out the sound of my wallet crying away in my back pocket. I didn't buy it to be concerned about mileage. But I still love to make fun of my friends with "normal" cars like civics and other SUVs because my 550HP monster still gets almost 30MPG highway!

Hope my data helps somewhat!

I'm at about 23,000km now (just over 14,000 miles). Mileage has maybe improved marginally since new. Not enough for me or my wallet to notice, but maybe the statistics logged will reflect the improvement.

I use the Fuelly website also and have tracked my last 2011 GT-500 for 22,000+ miles and my present 2014 for over 8,000 miles. I've found the in car mpg computer is usually off a bit. It normally shows slightly more fuel used than the actual pump number. You can go there and look at other cars to see their range of fuel mileages. I'm also amazed at the mpg I've gotten with both cars.

If you don't reset your mileage calculator in your Drivers Information Center (DIC) it will show you the average mileage over the life of the car. So if you started with 2mpg it will take a long time to get it up past 12mpg.

Phill

SO......is the DIC pretty accurate? Some people say it's not, especially when I tell them the MPG's I'm getting. Going up to Charlotte for the 50th, on Interstate, averaging 80MPH most of the way up, I was getting 37-39 MPG (2012 V6, 6 Spd. Auto). I would reset the DIC often to make sure. I still reset it almost daily and I have been getting 24 to 28 around Town and I am not a slow driver. I am usually the first one out the gate when the light turns green and up to speed in just a couple of seconds.

SO......is the DIC pretty accurate? Some people say it's not, especially when I tell them the MPG's I'm getting. Going up to Charlotte for the 50th, on Iterstate, averaging 80MPH most of the way up, I was getting 37-39 MPG (2012 V6, 6 Spd. Auto). I would reset the DIC often to make sure. I still reset it almost daily and I have been getting 24 to 28 around Town and I am not a slow driver. I am usually the first one out the gate when the light turns green and up to speed in just a couple of seconds.

In my two Shelby's (2011 and 2014) I've found the onboard computer to be 5% to 8% off. I reset mine every time plus chart it online. The DIC may say I used 9.2 gallons but the pump only shows 8.8 or so. Also I don't continue to pump fuel in after it cuts off. In the old days you could put another half gallon or so in the filler neck. The owners manual and other sources say to stop as soon as the automatic cut-off stops fueling and I do.

With mods I can get 21 to 23 mpg on the highway if I use cruise control, if I am around town it goes down to about 14 or 15. But if I get the blower kicking in I get about 0.

• 2 weeks later...

The owners manual and other sources say to stop as soon as the automatic cut-off stops fueling and I do.

Bill, why is that? Any idea?

Old habits die hard and I still try to squeeze in a few more drops after the cut-off.

Bill, why is that? Any idea?

Old habits die hard and I still try to squeeze in a few more drops after the cut-off.

It's because of how the Venting is set up. If you fill it past the Click Off, you will smell Gas inside the Car.

That seems low. Even here in Atlanta where it takes me 45 minutes or so to cover 16 miles on the way to work and back on a mix of city street on the way into work and about 50/50 side streets and interstate on the way home I average in the low 16's with the A/C on and the top down. Prolong drives on the interstate at 80mph show about 22-23 with the factory 3.31 rear gears.

Archived