TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thumper cam opinions

Howdy everyone,

I've been looking at various thumper cam videos and really like the way they sound. I was wondering if some of you can share your thoughts on this modification. Currently the only performance mod I've done is install a 93 octane race tune from BamaTunes. I've also done a muffler delete, so it sounds pretty mean already.

Since I daily drive my 08 Shelby GT, how would thumper cams effect gas mileage? Driveability? I love to do local cruise in's and shows, so I know folks would freak when I drove in with that bumply idle.

Thanks for everyone's opinion.

Gregg

<mean streak> Have you considered that adding performance cams because of the way they lope at idle is like lifting weights because you like the way people react to the light shining on your oiled 'cuts'? </mean streak>

My Brother has the thumper cams on his 07 Shelby GT. He really likes them alot. He doesn't use his car as a daily driver but he does drive quite often and has no drivability problems. I can't speak for the gas milage question though. They sound great in his car for sure.

07SGT - I haven't nailed down a specific cam yet, I'm in the research phase of this.

Frank S - Show me someone that doesn't like the attention their Shelby gets, and I'll show you someone without a pulse.

I wish I could afford some of the more serious mods, a whipple for example, but unless someone wants to help out with a sponsorship...it probably ain't gonna happen.

Americaniron - Thanks for the input. The mileage question is one that seems to be hard to find a good answer on. I seem to get very good city mileage with mine (about 18.5), so I hate to see that go down, especially with the cost of premium gas.

Howdy everyone,

I've been looking at various thumper cam videos and really like the way they sound. I was wondering if some of you can share your thoughts on this modification. Currently the only performance mod I've done is install a 93 octane race tune from BamaTunes. I've also done a muffler delete, so it sounds pretty mean already.

Since I daily drive my 08 Shelby GT, how would thumper cams effect gas mileage? Driveability? I love to do local cruise in's and shows, so I know folks would freak when I drove in with that bumply idle.

Thanks for everyone's opinion.

Gregg

I have the Hot Rod Cams installed in my car. I didn't see any millage loss in my daily driving, but if you lay your foot into it you'll see the needle make its way down quicker. If you decided to go beyond the cams down the road (i.e. larger throttle body and intake manifold) you can kiss great fuel millage away, as should be expected. With the addition of larger throttle body and FRPP performance intake I have lost 100 miles on a tank of fuel went I've got cruise control set on 70. If you're only looking to put in the cams I wouldn't envision a problem with millage, but I don't have the Thumpers so I can't be specific to that specific cam. Just my experience with the Hot Rods.

In terms of brand, if you're seriously interested in a new cam think over the Hot Rods. They're $30 more on American Muscle, but I think that $30 is for piece of mind. I know that I wanted to have a supreme quality part in my engine and there's nothing better (in my opinion) than a Ford Racing part in a Ford engine. In the grand scheme of things dishing out an extra $30 for the Hot Rods just seems like a smarter choice to me. I'm not saying that the quality of the Thumpers is lower, just knowing that I had aFord Racing part in the engine helped me sleep better at night.

Went with the FRPP Hot rod cams in mine also, Fuel mileage was fine even with the larger throttle body and the FRPP intake. I was getting between 21 and 22 mpg, I do drive mine daily, about 50 total miles on the interstate. As explained above you will see the needle drop faster if you're constantly laying into the gas pedal. No driveablilty issues with mine either, love the sound and the shake of the car. Went with the FRPP because they are made by ford for out engines, no other reason. I didn't see a large reduction in gas mileage until I put the 4.10's in, then it dropped significantly.

Jeff

Don't mean to be a thread thief, but did any of you guys put only a throttle body on before doing anything else? I've read 8 to 10 hp gains per the BBK site (62mm body). Do you think this is fact or fiction?

As for the cams, I considered them, but Brenspeed told me that they wouldn't pass the emissions sniff test or could be failed just because the tech notices them.

Has anyone tried these cams in an automatic car...? Just wondered how if affected the idle and if it needed to be set up higher?

I also heard if a supercharger was in your future, not to install the cams because it would affect the low end/idle....

Has anyone run into this? Thanks!

Thanks for all of the great information everyone. Based on everyone's opinions, the FRPP Hot Rod cams have moved to the top of the list. Intersting question about using the cams with a supercharger. Whats the thoughts on that? I can always hope that next years tax refund is a big one. Also, since I'm running a BamaTune, will I need to have the tune redone when installing the cams?

Yes, you will definitely need a new tune if installing cams whether they be FRPP Hot Rod or Thumper cams. I suggested the Hot Rod cams because they have been very popular and you are keeping your engine all Ford. There are numerous you tube sites so you can listen to the idle of a hot rod cam. Good Luck.

I agree that springer would have the best answer in terms of what the cams are like with a supercharger. I discussed this same question of the cams with a supercharger with my tuner and he was worried about a lot of the boost would be lost because of the increased lobe in the cams. I would be interested in hearing what kind of boost loss, if any, springer has experienced.

I have no issues with the Hot Rod cams. My car was dynoed four times on two separate occasions. The high was 521 RWHP and the lowest was 501. We all know how dyno readings go, so I assume it is somewhere in between, but I always go with the lower number. The car runs outstanding. Recently I gave one of the members here a ride in the GT/SC and he was very impressed. He owns a 2012 GT 500 and said my car was definitely faster than his GT 500.

I've heard many rumors here on the forum about the Hot Rod cams used in-conjunction with superchargers and as far as I'm concerned, they are all unfounded. It seems the topic of the Hot Rod cams not working as well with the superchargers comes up every few months.

By the way, they do have a nice lope to them.

i have mutha thumprs and wouldnt trade them for anything. they do sound more aggressive then the hot rod cams in my opinon and i did pick up quiet a nice little jolt from them in the hp department. went from 287 to 327 at the tire with them and a throttle body. that being said i've also had problems. big aggressive cams dont make enough vacuum for brakes as was the case for me. i have a vac canister to partially deal with the issue but after about 30 seconds of idle my brake pressure drops to nill. not that i ever idle for 30 seconds. :peelout:

gas mileage is so so i get about 18-21 around tulsa but i have gotten less then 15 when i get jumpy with it. highway averages around 24-26. i should mention i have 4:10's though, longtubes and the whole shebang as far as engine mods go. dont have the manifold yet but working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived