TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS Hood Complete!

Thanks to all who answered questions as I completed this project. The hood had quite a few fitment issues but nothing that couldn't be overcome. By the time I brought it to the painter he said it was one of the best fitting fiberglass hood he ever seen. The hood actually required shimming the back up 3/8", slotting and extending the hinges to bring it forward about 1/4" and slotting the latch mechanism to allow the front of the hood to drop abou 3/8". I actually had to have extension pieces welded to the end of the hinges to make them long enough. I also figured while he was mixing paint, might as well add the side scoops! BTW, the stripe material I purchased thru VinylGraphics (manufactured by ORACAL) was an exact match. Thank again for all the help! Rich

IMG_2346.jpgIMG_2350.jpgIMG_2351.jpgIMG_2354.jpgIMG_2355.jpgIMG_2306.jpg

Thanks to all who answered questions as I completed this project. The hood had quite a few fitment issues but nothing that couldn't be overcome. By the time I brought it to the painter he said it was one of the best fitting fiberglass hood he ever seen. The hood actually required shimming the back up 3/8", slotting and extending the hinges to bring it forward about 1/4" and slotting the latch mechanism to allow the front of the hood to drop abou 3/8". I actually had to have extension pieces welded to the end of the hinges to make them long enough. I also figured while he was mixing paint, might as well add the side scoops! BTW, the stripe material I purchased thru VinylGraphics (manufactured by ORACAL) was an exact match. Thank again for all the help! Rich

IMG_2346.jpgIMG_2350.jpgIMG_2351.jpgIMG_2354.jpgIMG_2355.jpgIMG_2306.jpg

Nice Rich!

It looks Great!!

I like the "SHELBY/GT500" billet plates.

R

Nice Rich!

It looks Great!!

I like the "SHELBY/GT500" billet plates.

R

Thanks Robert. Yeah I saw those billet plates on a real beautiful red Super Snake! LOL Had to get them!

I think I've seen a post or two on the billet hood pin install on the SS FB hood...but could detail how managed to get them to fit? Any pics?

Cheers,

Blackout

Here is a more recent billet hood pin thread.........

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/72126-super-snake-hood-pin-plate-installed/

Basically you remove the flat stainless hood pin plates and replace them with the billet plates and slightly longer screws. Then you tap the main pin to an angle which allows the pin to slide through the hole in the billet plate, then your adjust the pin to a height which allows the lanyard pin to slide in place while also seating in the billet pin plate grooves properly.

R

Here is a more recent billet hood pin thread.........

http://www.teamshelb...late-installed/

Basically you remove the flat stainless hood pin plates and replace them with the billet plates and slightly longer screws. Then you tap the main pin to an angle which allows the pin to slide through the hole in the billet plate, then your adjust the pin to a height which allows the lanyard pin to slide in place while also seating in the billet pin plate grooves properly.

R

I'll bet'cha I could make 'em fit perfect, without 'bending' the pin.

My thought goes like this:

Install the pin so it's 'plumb' (i.e. straight up/down, 90d from horizontal).

With the hood closed, slide the plate down over a pin.

"Time" the plate to the orientation you want it to sit.

Trace around the bottom outside edge of the plate so the angle of the hood is marked on the side of the plate.

Use a vertical sander to remove the needed material from the bottom side of the plate using the mark as your guide.

Put the plate back down over the pin into the desired position.

Drill the 4 screw holes through the hood using the plate in the properley timed position as a guide.

Mount the plate permanantly using whatever adheasive you want or is recommended (for a tight solid mounting).

Intall the keeper pin into the hood pin and......

Viola. You're done.

Phill

I'll bet'cha I could make 'em fit perfect, without 'bending' the pin.

My thought goes like this:

Install the pin so it's 'plumb' (i.e. straight up/down, 90d from horizontal).

With the hood closed, slide the plate down over a pin.

"Time" the plate to the orientation you want it to sit.

Trace around the bottom outside edge of the plate so the angle of the hood is marked on the side of the plate.

Use a vertical sander to remove the needed material from the bottom side of the plate using the mark as your guide.

Put the plate back down over the pin into the desired position.

Drill the 4 screw holes through the hood using the plate in the properley timed position as a guide.

Mount the plate permanantly using whatever adheasive you want or is recommended (for a tight solid mounting).

Intall the keeper pin into the hood pin and......

Viola. You're done.

Phill

The pin never bends. It is way thicker than the thin sheet metal radiator core support it is mounted to, and the hole in the core support is already there on each side. The sheet metal is what adjusts when you are tapping the pin. The amount ot tapping needed is so minimal, the angle is not even noticed.

If for some reason the flat stainless are re-installed on the Super Snake, tap the pin back to its original position and adjust the pin height.

There needs to be an angle for the main pin. If there is no angle, the lanyard pin will not lay in the guide channels properly.

R

I found some additional comparision pictures.

Below is a Black hood pin plate set-up with the "straight up" main pin. Note how the lanyard pin sticks up out of the channel on one side of the main pin, and lays down in the channel on the other. Also notice how the main pin fits in the center hole of the plate.............

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

and then the angled "bent" main pin and a correct fitment of the lanyard pin...........

Picture1753.jpg

Picture1752.jpg

Rich - Sorry I (we) got off into billet hood pin install in your hood thread.........

R

Archived