TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FR3 and Watts link

Obiwan-GYN/OB

I just purchased a beautiful 2009 Shelby GT500 with only 1700 miles on it. I love the horses, but would feel more comfortable with a little more control on the road. I am a Noob to modifiying and have read alot of the posts. I am considering the m-2007 FR3-SVTA and a WATTS link FAY2. I am probably not going to race, though a spin on a track will probably happen at least once. Everything on the car is stock and has the traction control. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, any problems with warranty if items purchased such as BMR, Steeda or Griggs?

thanks

I just purchased a beautiful 2009 Shelby GT500 with only 1700 miles on it. I love the horses, but would feel more comfortable with a little more control on the road. I am a Noob to modifiying and have read alot of the posts. I am considering the m-2007 FR3-SVTA and a WATTS link FAY2. I am probably not going to race, though a spin on a track will probably happen at least once. Everything on the car is stock and has the traction control. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, any problems with warranty if items purchased such as BMR, Steeda or Griggs?

thanks

The M-FR3-MSVTA kit is for 2011-and newer it will NOT work on your 2009 . It depends on whether you have a convert or a coupe as to how to set up your suspension. It also depends on what you want to dable in (drag racing , autocrossing , open track) and how much $$$ you want to spend . One set up does not do all. BMR ,Griggs,and Steeda are all good companies to do business with. Some basics for improving suspensions / ride quality and control are to lower the vehicle but not too much , changing the struts/shocks , changes to some of the bushings which have high compliance , and sway bar sizes/diameters .

There is a version of the FR3 handling pack available for your 2009, I run it on my 2008 as well as a Fays2 Watts link. For the money it is a very noticeable improvement. In my opinion it really wouldn't be the ideal way to go for a car that is going to see any amount of time at the drag strip, but for the street, maybe some autocross it would be ideal. There are many good companies out there to look to for good parts. I went with all Ford Racing parts in the beginning because I wanted the car to stay all Ford. As the mods started piling up it became less of an issue for me to use only Ford parts. That said I would do the FR3 handling pack again today. As far as any warranty issues are concerned I couldn't really say. Just from reading here in the forums it seems like a crap shoot on whether factory warranties are honored for different things. I accepted that my warranty was out the door the day I bolted the TVS on and used a tune from VMP. Good luck and enjoy the car!

Thanks for the info. But is the M-2007-FR3-SVTA the same? I also saw on another site a ford racing system labeled M-2007-FR3-SVT which did not have the front strut mount upgrades listed. I thought maybe that was the only difference. The M-2007 is listed for the 2009 GT500. Also, the Shelby Store website has the eibach procoil over kit. Anyone know if that and the fay 2 watts link would be better for the street with rare track use?

Didn't see a M-2007-FR3SVTA listed in the 2012 FRPP catalog But the M-2007-FR3SVT listed on page 183 which will fit your 2009 does not come with either the M-18183-C strut mounts(which should already be on your car) or the M-5570-A jounce stops. I can only guess that your car is a coupe and the track use that you refer to is a road course layout. With that put out there then yes I would say your best starting point would be to buy the M-2007-FR3SVT pack , a Fays2 watts linkage and a set of BMR/SPP rear lower control arms and rear LCA relocate brackets and then trim your rear jounce stops down . Like wingsnut said " Good luck and enjoy the car.

• 2 weeks later...

After going to Lone Star Ford in Houston, and Slaters Automotive in Humble and gathering opinions on this forum and others I have ruled out getting the Ford racing package. The Lone Star ford SVT technician (is there really such a title?) warned me of too much rattle squeaks with that modification for street use. It was suggested by him to lower the car and get a heavier front sway bar. He did not however seem to know anything about the Watts link. Slater's was more helpful. His shop has numerous mustangs of all types always in the shop for modifications and he admits to being a Mustang nut. He was also positive on lowering the car but noncommital about which lowering springs to use. I purchased the caster camber set for lowering plans from the Shelby store, as well as the Wattls link, and the GT500KR front sway bar as it seemed pretty cheap and would fit my car. I still can't decide on which lowering springs to use, and if I should upgrade the shocks when the new springs are placed. The car has only 2000 miles on it. Any opinions out there?

After going to Lone Star Ford in Houston, and Slaters Automotive in Humble and gathering opinions on this forum and others I have ruled out getting the Ford racing package. The Lone Star ford SVT technician (is there really such a title?) warned me of too much rattle squeaks with that modification for street use. It was suggested by him to lower the car and get a heavier front sway bar. He did not however seem to know anything about the Watts link. Slater's was more helpful. His shop has numerous mustangs of all types always in the shop for modifications and he admits to being a Mustang nut. He was also positive on lowering the car but noncommital about which lowering springs to use. I purchased the caster camber set for lowering plans from the Shelby store, as well as the Wattls link, and the GT500KR front sway bar as it seemed pretty cheap and would fit my car. I still can't decide on which lowering springs to use, and if I should upgrade the shocks when the new springs are placed. The car has only 2000 miles on it. Any opinions out there?

Since the Ford Racing handling pack is all I have experience with I can't offer any other educated opinion. I will add this...in the 5000 miles since I have installed the Ford Racing pieces I have not experienced any additional rattles or squeaks, but I have read where some have and it's usually a matter of proper maintenance (keep everything greased and torqued). The car does ride noticeably firmer and you will get more noise transmission to the interior. It doesn't bother me and wifey hasn't complained so all is good. I have been tinkering with cars for 30 years and there is almost always a trade off when it comes to installing performance items. For me this particular modification offered way more good than bad.

Chip

I have decided on the ford handling pack m-18000-g dampers and lowering springs , the gt500KR front sway bar, and a fay2 watts link from shelbystore. I will post pictures and opinion after a drive to the hill country later this month. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I bought my Shelby from lone star ford by the way. Better dampers are important. I went with koni sport "yellows". After experiencing rougher ride with frpp lowering springs, I think I will be looking into softer springs to go with my dampers and the stiffest sway bars I can find...probably h&r. BMW's handle great and are comfortable to ride in. My wife's boss 302 handles great and is much more comfortable to ride in than mine.

If you are an OB in the area, you may know my wife as she is a neonatal np at hermann in the woodlands.

Good luck.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I have had all the equipment added, and it has definitely made the difference I wanted. The front sway bar for 50 bucks was a steal, and the car is lower but definitely not too low. There are no rattles, and with the Watts link there is no more feeling of the rear getting away on corners anymore. I took the stock eagles off and replaced them with Nitto 555's and they seem to stick more as well. I love it. The total cost was under $3000 including installation. For FrazierFreud, I am an OB/GYN at Hermann's Northeast hospital. I don't know many of the nurses at the Sister hospital, but am sure that we have many common aquaintances.

Next on the list will be the heat exchanger and shelby radiator to insure long life of this beast. Then maybe the upgraded supercharger.

Miles Mahan MD

Archived