TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A Tribute to Carroll Shelby @ San Jose Mercury News - Saturday 5/26/2012

SVT NAJA

Team Shelby - Pacific Coast Region and other Northern California Shelby clubs turned out in force today to pay tribute to Carroll H. Shelby at the San Jose Mercury News campus.

IMG_0949.jpg

The company I work for was honored to donate a crane to event producer Mike Hennessy of Hot San Jose Nights to provide an elevated platform for the professional photographers whose work will appear in the weeks to come. I wanted to share a sample of what to expect.

The weather was perfect as Shelby enthusiasts started gathering on the lawn of the Mercury campus with their vehicles. Yes, it got very crowded as seen here in the pano poster preview...

CarrollShelbyMemorialPano.jpg

Here is an excellent specimen of the many original Cobras in attendance, with a couple of GT350's and another Cobra parked behind it...

IMG_0948.jpg

The program started off with the National Anthem performed by the original Drifters as seen here...

IMG_0955.jpg

Several guest speakers (Tom Fry, Gordon Gimbel, Don Lee, Bruce Canepa and Barry Toepke of Laguna Seca) who have known Carroll over the years then treated the gathering to their memories of the iconic legend.

IMG_0957.jpg

Rick Schiller of the Bay Area News Group then read a letter to the gathering from comedian Bill Cosby who was a good friend of Carroll's. This was followed by a "moment of silence" (represented by the lowering of a checkered flag shown here) and soon thereafter by a "moment of noise" when all driver's started and roared their engines...

IMG_0960.jpg

The hood of each vehicle was adorned with a long stem white rose with a black ribbon bow in honor of Carroll as seen here...

IMG_0963.jpg

I look forward to seeing the full sized panoramic poster of this gathering which exceeded all expectations. It was a great day to be with fellow Shelby enthusiasts and share in this tribute to Carroll H. Shelby! :salute:

IMG_0966.jpg

Team Shelby - Pacific Coast Region and other Northern California Shelby clubs turned out in force today to pay tribute to Carroll H. Shelby at the San Jose Mercury News campus.

The company I work for was honored to donate an operated crane to event producer Mike Hennessy of Hot San Jose Nights to provide an elevated platform for the professional photographers whose work will appear in the weeks to come. I wanted to share a sample of what to expect.

The weather was perfect as Shelby enthusiasts started gathering on the lawn of the Mercury campus with their vehicles. Yes, it got much more crowded than this...

It was an incredible event which I felt privileged to be a part of. Thanks for sharing the photos ... love being able to see a preview of the aerial shots!

• 1 month later...

Archived