TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Canadiens Who Imported US KR's, Question About DRL's

Hey guys,

What did you do about daytime running lights?

My Ford dealer in Calgary said they'd have to add a big nasty control box in the engine bay along with a bunch of wiring and remove the front bumper cover to wire into the fog lights since they can't turn on the HID's full-time. But lets just say they didn't inspire confidence with their knowledge about wiring.

I told them to #$## off in both official languages.

Sadly, I can't drive it without the out of province inspection.

Thoughts?

You've got the wrong dealer if he is giving you this advice. The daytime running lights can be turned on via your onboard computer. I had the same issue with my 2007 GT-H. There was no way I was going to hack the wiring or ad some big ridiculous box to turn the daytime running lights on.

Just ask your dealer to get in touch with Ford and get a program to download it into your computer to turn the daytime running lights on. It's easy as pie and I have done it.

Just say "no" to the dealer and his cockamamy ideas.

QSS

You've got the wrong dealer if he is giving you this advice. The daytime running lights can be turned on via your onboard computer. I had the same issue with my 2007 GT-H. There was no way I was going to hack the wiring or ad some big ridiculous box to turn the daytime running lights on.

Just ask your dealer to get in touch with Ford and get a program to download it into your computer to turn the daytime running lights on. It's easy as pie and I have done it.

Just say "no" to the dealer and his cockamamy ideas.

QSS

Did your Shelby have HID lights or regular headlights? Apparently with HID's the fogs have to be used as DRLs.

If anyone has a Canadian KR or GT500 with HID's, what are your DRL's? The HID's or your fog lights?

Did your Shelby have HID lights or regular headlights? Apparently with HID's the fogs have to be used as DRLs.

If anyone has a Canadian KR or GT500 with HID's, what are your DRL's? The HID's or your fog lights?

Good Point, I think my car has regular headlights but I don't see why this would matter. If the computer can be reprogrammed to turn on the DRL's why would it matter it the lights are HID or regular light?

QSS

Good Point, I think my car has regular headlights but I don't see why this would matter. If the computer can be reprogrammed to turn on the DRL's why would it matter it the lights are HID or regular light?

QSS

I had no idea there was a difference myself until today. The short story if I understand correctly is the computer can reduce the power to a regualer bulb ala DRL's but can not reduce the voltage to HID's without damaging them.

Still, 09 Shelby's and KR's with HID's are in Canada. So my question is, what makes Canadian and American cars different? Hardware or software?

What I would say is get Ford to give you the programming to turn on the HID's to act as DRL's. If the voltage can't be reduced during daytime to avoid damage, that's fine ( I don't really get this point of view anyway. If your driving at night for 8 straight hours and the HID's are at full power, how are they not damaged?).

So, get your DRL's turned on, go for your inspection, then get them turned back off via the programming. It's just like many owners in the US who have a "tune" in their car but have to go for regular smog tests. They de-tune their cars in order to pass their smog test then as soon as their smog test is passed, they reprogram their car with their original "non conforming" tune.

Pretty sure this is the simple solution.

QSS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here is the final answer.

Had to put a relay in. Nothing is seen in the engine bay or the interior, it remains stock looking. Fogs now work just as you would assume the DRL's should.

My Ford mechanic called the US Tech line to alert them the American VIN'd car was now in Canada and wanted the special codes to access the DRL on the computer program, which they could not access with Canadian diagnostic computers. Multiple Techs insisted there was no such "secret code" for 08-09. There was apparently for 07 and 10's onwards.

Thought about changing the SJB out, but was told it would be programed with the car's current configuation. Thought about getting a Canadian VIN, but was told that was a high risk move to mess with the electronics like that.

I wonder though, if the Canadian GT500's with HID's had a relay installed before getting shipped to Canada.

Archived