TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally 2013 grilles are installed.....

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the only reason Ford went with the open grill design was because it was cheaper than reinforcing the original grill so it wouldn't flex at high speeds.

It wasn't the grille that was flexing, it was the front facia and Ford redesigned it so it wouldn't flex.

That pretty much kills *that* thinking on the open grilles.

I don't know why people won't just believe Jamal when he says it's for aero and to help cooling. The fact is, the dies had to be made for the new grille so it cost them money to do it, not saved them money. The *only* saving would be on the amount of plastic injected into the mold which is miniscule in comparison to the rest of the grille.

Adding a bug screen will reduce the air flow considerably more (25%) than what the egg crate grille would reduce it by but hey, if someone wants to blow their motor up because they are paranoid that something *might* hit their radiator, go for it. Not THIS KID though.

Phill

Amigo, can you post up the part #'s for the plates? And does anyone have a pic of the passenger side block off plate up close? I just don't understand how they attach as I have the bumper unpainted and off the car and as I look at how the lower grille pops in, I cant imagine anything fitting in between that space.

Yeah, I haven't seen any 2013's on lot to check out the block off plates and how they attach. Sort of a mystery at the moment. The price for the plates is crazy...almost makes me wonder if they are the correct pieces...but who knows. We'll just wait and see what Amigo gets in the mail! ;)

I just got a gt500 front bumper and 2013 grilles for my 2011 GT. I'm up in the air as to cut the brake ducts out or to get the blockoff plates.

Amigo, can you post up the part #'s for the plates? And does anyone have a pic of the passenger side block off plate up close? I just don't understand how they attach as I have the bumper unpainted and off the car and as I look at how the lower grille pops in, I cant imagine anything fitting in between that space. Part of me just wants to go cut it out and be done with it. $150 for block off plates seems rediculous. Especially after I just bought the front end, 20" wheels and a turbo kit... :drop:

Any update on these block off plates part numbers? Also how they attach? I am hoping that they do fit the 12 innards but I am not so sure if they will. Maybe they attach to the brake cooling support brackets?

Any update on these block off plates part numbers? Also how they attach? I am hoping that they do fit the 12 innards but I am not so sure if they will. Maybe they attach to the brake cooling support brackets?

My guess is, you will still have to cut out the existing ('10-'12) brake cooling duct spigots.

We shall see,

Phill

I got mine installed over the weekend. I ended up cutting out the holes - it didn't appear to fit with them there anyways.

I can't believe how much better it looks with the new grilles and splitter. Just freshens the car up immediately.

Mike R.from Tousley Ford informed me that it will be shipped today ....

Great to hear Amigo. Let us know how they are installed and if there's any issues. Are you going to be putting them on yourself or having the shop do them?

I can't believe how much better it looks with the new grilles and splitter. Just freshens the car up immediately.

Great to hear Amigo. Let us know how they are installed and if there's any issues. Are you going to be putting them on yourself or having the shop do them?

Great to hear from you mi amigo....I will post a picture as soon as I get it. I will try myself and let you know if I could.... :yahoo:

I noticed on several of the pics that most of you guys aren't removing the air deflector on the upper right grill or the two on the bottom grill.

Is that just an oversight or are you leaving them on intentionally? They're not there on the '13 and I'm assuming they're not needed

because of the large center air deflector on the upper grill. I noticed the two lower one's a kinda squished against the lower grill insert so

I took mine off. The upper on is pretty noticeable when comparing it to the '13 front end which doesn't have it.

I haven't taken a picture of my front end since painting the radiator or removing the air deflectors, but here's a before pic of what I'm talking

about...

IMG_1989a.jpg

I noticed on several of the pics that most of you guys aren't removing the air deflector on the upper right grill or the two on the bottom grill.

Is that just an oversight or are you leaving them on intentionally? They're not there on the '13 and I'm assuming they're not needed

because of the large center air deflector on the upper grill. I noticed the two lower one's a kinda squished against the lower grill insert so

I took mine off. The upper on is pretty noticeable when comparing it to the '13 front end which doesn't have it.

I haven't taken a picture of my front end since painting the radiator or removing the air deflectors, but here's a before pic of what I'm talking

about...

IMG_1989a.jpg

This is something I have not considered. Thanks for posting this picture with your reference. I certainly will remove these guides to clean up the look and it seems they are not needed with the 13 grill design.

about...

IMG_1989a.jpg

I considered removing these. The upper one I think the 13 actually does have, but not 100% on that. The lowers, I took mine off but put them back on. Will probably remove them - 30 second job to do that.

about...

Thanks for the tip about taking out the deflectors Crushinator...will have to check it out when it comes time. My Grilles and Splitter arrived today! :yahoo:

+ 2 on this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It will allow me to experiment on putting the Shelby bezels without taking my current grill out. Good idea!

That's a good idea. I wish I had one to practice on. My first hole is a bit ragged and if you look close (or know it's there) you can see where I had to use some black RTV to hide my mistake around the base of the bezel.

The second one turned out MUCH better but still, a little ragged. It's not like you can see it unless you get down on the ground and give it the once over...or maybe twice over, but *I* know it's there and wish I'd gone a little slower.

EDIT: And actually, maybe *YOU* couldn't see it but *I* can. Because I know it's there.....

Phill

Archived