TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally 2013 grilles are installed.....

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways, is it safe to assume that the new lower grill has the mounting tabs for the (I'm guessing this is what it is) ambient temp sensor?

Hmmm...I had thought that the temp sensor was mounted near the heat extractor...if not to it directly...it's actually mounted to the grille insert then? No one really mentioned having to relocate it in past posts.

Yeah, I'm assuming it must be an easy fix to find a new mounting place for it since no one has mentioned it before. Heres a pic I found and I circled the sensor i'm talking about. The tab on the lower grill just has 2 little holes in it and the sensor has a couple tabs you just push into the holes. Kind of like the push pin things holding the hood liner on your hood. The tab on my lower grill is about where one of those black plastic covers would go on the 2013 so maybe those pieces have the extra little tab on them.

Front_Clip_2.jpg

The tab on my lower grill is about where one of those black plastic covers would go on the 2013 so maybe those pieces have the extra little tab on them.

My bet is your ambient air temp sensor is mounted more inboard. I know mine is exposed to a open part of my lower grille and the outer parts are blocked off. That tells me it's not where the new style plates are, but further towards the center.

And like someone else said, it's just a tab that has two holes in it. The tip of my sensor is pointed towards the center of the car so the sensor is directly in the airflow going through the grille.

I'd go look but I have to jack up the front of my car to see it. Hmm, wonder if I can look through my grille and snap a pic of it?

Phill

I actually drilled two holes the same size as the ones on the stock '12 grill and attached the sensor directly to the back of the new grill on the drivers side of the upper grill. You can't see it and it works perfectly.

I just made sure the tip of the sensor was facing the grill opening to get an accurate temperature reading.

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone had any issues with their horn not working after doing this? I drove the Shelby yesterday and the horn is dead. Got home and checked the fuse but it's ok.

I wonder if I accidentally unplugged something when I had the front end off and didn't realize it. Can someone that did this recently confirm that there is a plug for the horn right behind the front?

I'd at least like to know before I go taking it apart again. Uggghhhh!

There is a plug that plugs directly into the horn.

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone had any issues with their horn not working after doing this? I drove the Shelby yesterday and the horn is dead. Got home and checked the fuse but it's ok.

I wonder if I accidentally unplugged something when I had the front end off and didn't realize it. Can someone that did this recently confirm that there is a plug for the horn right behind the front?

I'd at least like to know before I go taking it apart again. Uggghhhh!

So what has everyone been mounting the temp sensor too?

I tie wrapped mine to the horn wiring for now. Wondering where it goes on the 13. I think the block off plates mounts to the heat exchanger. On the track pack the scoops mount to the heat exchangers for the rearend and engine oil. I also still need to order the lower brace for the bottom grille.

I mounted mine on the piece that runsvertical beside the HE. It is plastic, and I just drilled two holes for the original clip to snap into.

That sounds like a good idea...I checked out the mounting the temp sensor today..I really never noticed it before...lol. I will have to see once I have a chance to install the grilles.

There is a plug that plugs directly into the horn.

Mine (2010) has two horns with a plug on each horn. I never saw a single plug that the harness plugged into, just the wires for both horns exiting the harness to the horns.

If the horns are loose you won't have a ground and neither one will work (common ground for both horns). That's about the only way I can see that both horns would stop working unless you unplugged BOTH of them.

Phill

Figured it out. I didn't realize that you can actually see the horn now, with the '13 lower grill. It's right behind the right side end opening. I looked in there and could see the

connector didn't look right so I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it works now. Must've bumped it somehow when I took the front end off and it was just enough to lose the

connection. Thank God it wasn't anything.

ok, 1 last question before I install mine (hopefully tomorrow). On the 2013 upper grill, the center/top portion is pretty flimsy and the back tip has a built in push pin on it. Does this line up with any existing holes that you connect the grill to or is everyone just leaving it hanging there?

ok, 1 last question before I install mine (hopefully tomorrow). On the 2013 upper grill, the center/top portion is pretty flimsy and the back tip has a built in push pin on it. Does this line up with any existing holes that you connect the grill to or is everyone just leaving it hanging there?

I was wondering that too, 2nd2none.

Hi 2nd2none...did you get your grilles installed? I think I am going to install mine next Tuesday...despite the insane weather. I was waiting to get the block off plates..but no word from Tousley yet. I really like the look of the grilles so I am just going to get it done soon.

Hi 2nd2none...did you get your grilles installed? I think I am going to install mine next Tuesday...despite the insane weather. I was waiting to get the block off plates..but no word from Tousley yet. I really like the look of the grilles so I am just going to get it done soon.

Not yet. I've kinda got a plan for everything. I taking my car into the shop on the 13th and 14th to work with them and install my Kenne Bell 3.6LC kit as well as pull my Dynatech headers off and putting the stock manifolds back on. Right after that I'm going to pull my stock grills (and paint my heat exchanger/radiator area while I have the clip off) and install the new Super Snake stripes that should be arriving UPS tomorrow. The stock stripes stuck under the grills a little bit so figured its best to have the grills out while installing the new stripes. Once the stripes are on I'll just pop in the new grills. Sooooo, if all goes to plan I should be done with everything in within 2 weeks.

Not yet. I've kinda got a plan for everything. I taking my car into the shop on the 13th and 14th to work with them and install my Kenne Bell 3.6LC kit as well as pull my Dynatech headers off and putting the stock manifolds back on. Right after that I'm going to pull my stock grills (and paint my heat exchanger/radiator area while I have the clip off) and install the new Super Snake stripes that should be arriving UPS tomorrow. The stock stripes stuck under the grills a little bit so figured its best to have the grills out while installing the new stripes. Once the stripes are on I'll just pop in the new grills. Sooooo, if all goes to plan I should be done with everything in within 2 weeks.

Have to ask why removing the headers?

Got my grill and spiltter installed. Love the look, but man is it low. Mine is just at 4-1/2" off the road. Going to have to watch what I go over.

Nice..Klastinger! I hope to "maybe" install my grilles tomorrow. Any tips for the grille installation that might not have already been mentioned? Where did you mount your exterior air temp sensor? You are correct about the splitter clearance. You really have to be a bit more careful....however, I like the look too much to remove them..plus you can always sand a bit off, just in case you do scrap them a bit. No joke...within the first two days of having mine on...I had to drive over a bit of road kill....not the smashed type...but the bloated and expanded type...YUCK! I held my breath as I had NO option....and somehow made it over it without heaving it up over my windshield...lol.

Mine sits at 3". I've scraped it a few times.

Yeah...you really have to slow it down even when pulling out at intersections...the bit of crown in the road (to enable rain run off) is enough to make it scrap due to the bouncing of the suspension. The great thing is that a bit of sandpaper smoothes it out as if the scraping never happened.

I had to make some ramps to get it from my garage into the road. My garage sits 4 feet higher then the road, and even though it is 50 feet long, my spiltter would scrape. We don;t have curbing, but gutters to direct water flow, and it dips enough at the end of the drive way, coupled with the angle of my driveway, it was going to scrape.

I love the look though.

I don't know about any secrets, but just take your time. I cut my brake spigots out and it made for a nice clean installation. Got to love a nice Dremmel tool. Also used the brace in behind the bottom of the lower grill peice, and it just snaps in to the lower grill and stays in place with extisting harware from the splitter just below it.

I did not use the block off peices. I did not like the fit nor the finish. Painted everthing behind them black and I thinj it looks great.

Good luck, and post some pictures when you have it installed.

Nice..Klastinger! I hope to "maybe" install my grilles tomorrow. Any tips for the grille installation that might not have already been mentioned? Where did you mount your exterior air temp sensor? You are correct about the splitter clearance. You really have to be a bit more careful....however, I like the look too much to remove them..plus you can always sand a bit off, just in case you do scrap them a bit. No joke...within the first two days of having mine on...I had to drive over a bit of road kill....not the smashed type...but the bloated and expanded type...YUCK! I held my breath as I had NO option....and somehow made it over it without heaving it up over my windshield...lol.

I don't know about any secrets, but just take your time. I cut my brake spigots out and it made for a nice clean installation. Got to love a nice Dremmel tool. Also used the brace in behind the bottom of the lower grill peice, and it just snaps in to the lower grill and stays in place with extisting harware from the splitter just below it.

I did not use the block off peices. I did not like the fit nor the finish. Painted everthing behind them black and I thinj it looks great.

If you think about selling the block off pieces, let me know.

Thanks for the comments...Yeah...it seems maybe the block off plates aren't the best thing - but I got them on order and one came in already...I'll see what I can do.

Archived