TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Shelby GT500KR

nooney

Right now I have a 2007 Shelby GT350 white with silver stripes, automatic with 10,800 miles. I have been looking for a KR for some time. I have found a number of them and they all have very low miles. I certainly understand they are limited edition and in the collector category, but does anyone ever drive theirs often? Are they difficult to keep tuned or is the low miles just because they are in the owner's want to keep the miles very low for value purposes? Thank you.

Nooney

I got mine to drive and enjoy. Being an old guy, I am not going to let it set to keep the miles down so someone else can enjoy it after I'm gone. In March I drove from San Antonio to Vegas for the 50th Bash, put 2900 miles on it and has a blast on the trip out, enjoying the events in Vegas, than drove in back home. By keeping it at 85 most of the time( a lot faster when the wife wasn't watching) I averaged 19 miles per gallon for the whole trip. I will be heading to northeast Texas on the 30th for the special Carroll Shelby Event which shoul;d add another 800 to 1000 miles. Than in June back to Dallas for the weekend. So you see, I got my "KR" to drive and enjoy. That's what Carroll built the car for, not to set in the garage and grow old, Over the years I have built cars which were in Magazines, and I also drove thise cars where every I wanted to go. I have never own a trailer queen, just drivers.

Yep, I own a Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, in the registry, 2007, they built only white or black with silver stripes. Car is currently in AZ so I do not have the number. Or maybe Shelby just called them Shelby GT, which means I stand corrected.

Right now I have a 2007 Shelby GT350 white with silver stripes, automatic with 10,800 miles. I have been looking for a KR for some time. I have found a number of them and they all have very low miles. I certainly understand they are limited edition and in the collector category, but does anyone ever drive theirs often? Are they difficult to keep tuned or is the low miles just because they are in the owner's want to keep the miles very low for value purposes? Thank you.

Nooney

I drive mine just about every weekend.

I put about 1,500 miles on it once in a cross country drive.

Never had a problem.

I have been a Mustang and Shelby fanatic my whole life and I have owned 6 Mustangs, ranging from early 1960's Mustangs through the 80's, as well as late models including a 2010 GT and a 2012 California Special convertible...I have loved them all. My '08 GT500KR is the culmination (so far) of my Mustang and Shelby "habit" and it is my daily driver by choice. I have worked very hard, saving and trading for more than 20 years to own a true Shelby and I pulled the trigger when I had the opportunity -- I seized the day...NOT to own something I would store away in a garage and stare at with a cold beer (though I do that quite often!), BUT to drive it like Carrolll Shelby was inspired to do so and INTENDED for it (or so I think...to each his own I say). I very much respect the guys here who have the means to baby these works of art with diapers, and their children or the second owners of those cars will have something VERY special. In fact, I am happy to meet and know them because their cars will look like new when my baby has scratches on it (I hope that's "character" rather than just dents!). Oh well, I have scars myself as I continue to live...I wish I could store myself away in garage to keep ME in "mint condition", but...then I wouldn't have lived. Live and drive for today...and if we're lucky enough to have a Shelby...ANY Shelby...I say go for it.

That said, and like SVTCOWBOY mentioned, my plan is not to keep the miles down so someone else can enjoy after I am gone. I have a piece of automotive art and history NOW that I personally enjoy, that makes me happy on a daily basis, and that connects me to a man we ALL respect - Carroll Shelby. And, I have worked for and "earned" the right to drive it and I am going to do just that. I treat it with the ultimate respect it deserves and I keep it looking good. My opinion, and everyone has a right to their own opinion, is that this perfect machine was built to drive and I'm just the guy to treasure it. IF you want one, be that guy and don't mull it over and think too long...pull the darn trigger and buy one - seize YOUR day without hesitation. Whatever you do - be happy with your decision. I went through a similar thought process as you when I was buying my KR...and I'm so glad I did it.

ANY Shelby you have is a treasure and any way YOU decide to treasure is just fine, whether in a garage or on the street. We only go around once so live for the day and do what makes you happy. You can't go wrong if you just make a decision.

See you on the road...

I drive mine.

I have a GMC 3/4 ton crew cab Duramax, which is perfect for hauling kids, hauling stuff, pulling trailers, and highway road trips. Diesels are NOT good for city driving stop-and-starts.

The KR is the perfect opposite, so I drive it everyday that the sun shines for all my local in-town and local-highway-only errands. This also keeps the mileage low, even though I enjoy the car daily. I estimate I'll put 3k to 4k miles/year, but it doesn't matter because one other cool feature is that you can turn the dash info off so you don't even see the odometer and trip odometer. ^_^

Mine is not a daily driver, but it does not collect dust in a garage either. I bought the car last fall with 250km (roughly 150 miles) from the previous owner. After being stored for the winter and being back on the road for less than a month, the car now has over 2,200km. If you don't drive them, you're missing most of the fun of owning these cars.

nooney,

I say trade your '07 Shelby GT and step into the bigger brother, the GT500KR. You'll love everything about this car.

I drive mine but it's NOT a daily driver. When I take her out, I drive her pretty hard. It's difficult to drive her like a normal car. The power, the sound, the looks.......damn, you can get a speeding ticket in a parking lot just on looks alone !!

I've put 10k on mine in 16 months of ownership, including some vigorous track days, and now she is on a ship bound for the Netherlands, where on June 29th, I'll embark on a 3000 mile tour of Europe...

Oh yea...shes a driver! :rockon:

That sounds incredible! I hope you take lots of pics and create a dedicated thread about your experience. Would be curious to know what type of cost/hassle is involved with the logistics, if you care to share that too.

I've put 10k on mine in 16 months of ownership, including some vigorous track days, and now she is on a ship bound for the Netherlands, where on June 29th, I'll embark on a 3000 mile tour of Europe...

Wow, that's pretty cool. All those Europeans that see your Shelby are in for a treat of some real American muscle and a Shelby too boot. Not something they see every day.

I bought my KR new in 10/09. It now has 1670 mi. I try and drive it every weekend. It is a wonderful car. Solid, powerful, handsome, limited production, one of only a few pre title Shelbys since the 60 s and likely the last pre title Shelby Mustang to come out of SAI which means that SAI is the MFG of record. Significant if you ask me. While the SS and new GT350 are awesome performers they are still making more and as many as they can sell and they are post title cars. There will be no more KRs. They are special ponies with with a rich legacy. I am confident their stock will rise eventually.

Your Shelby is another of the few pre title Shelbys. I would hold onto it too if you can and get the KR to if finances permit.

Good luck.

Unlike the 67 GT500 and the 68 GT500KR, the 07 GT500 and 08 GT500KR have the same exact engine, same transmission and same rear end except for the 3:73 gears. The 07 GT500 is a first year offering of the modern GT500's and with only a couple of minor mods is every bit as fun. I do love the KR hood on an 08-09. I could sell my 07 for an 08-09 KR but would never do that to a part of my family. When I bought my 07 I didn't think I stood a snow ball chance in hell of getting a KR so I didn't wait. My Certificate of Origin says "Shelby", my window sticker says "Shelby" so to me, my car is as special as it could get and has held it's value just as well as the KR.

Now if the 08-09 KR's had come with the aluminum block engine the 2011 GT500's and up came with, I would look at it differently but they didn't. I would never sell an 07-09 for a newer model, just as a 67-68 GT500 owner would never sell for a newer model. You can fix performance but you can't fix looks and you can't fix stupid.

Very cool! This would be a dream trip for me. I'm sure you KR will turn some heads in Europe. Reminds me of the '07 Shelby ad where the guy has his car shipped to Germany.

Unlike the 67 GT500 and the 68 GT500KR, the 07 GT500 and 08 GT500KR have the same exact engine, same transmission and same rear end except for the 3:73 gears. The 07 GT500 is a first year offering of the modern GT500's and with only a couple of minor mods is every bit as fun. I do love the KR hood on an 08-09. I could sell my 07 for an 08-09 KR but would never do that to a part of my family. When I bought my 07 I didn't think I stood a snow ball chance in hell of getting a KR so I didn't wait. My Certificate of Origin says "Shelby", my window sticker says "Shelby" so to me, my car is as special as it could get and has held it's value just as well as the KR.

Now if the 08-09 KR's had come with the aluminum block engine the 2011 GT500's and up came with, I would look at it differently but they didn't. I would never sell an 07-09 for a newer model, just as a 67-68 GT500 owner would never sell for a newer model. You can fix performance but you can't fix looks and you can't fix stupid.

And your point is???

The KR is much much different in many ways than the standard GT500 of the same year and significantly more limited and incorporates a number of KR only parts. While the 428CJ was available in 1968 for the KR back then no new engine was available for the '08-09 KRs so other means were used to up engine performance, sound and suspension/handling not to mention appearance.

Arguably I will say in all fairness your car has held it value better than the KR if you paid list for a KR or more. However, that worm is likely to turn in years to come. The stock on the KR is likely to rise in years to come. Not so for the standard GT500.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there are some that use their KR's as their DD.

There are others that don't. It is not my DD. I drive a little Honda for that. But, I don't hesitate to drive the KR when I can.

Then there are others that have had the car for 2 years...and haven't put even 300 miles on the car.

Then there are other others that have a multitude of cars with the KR being one of many. They are in outerspace! Who knows if their KR(s) have even seen the light of day!

If you're in the outerspace category, you can afford to buy the KR as an, "investment"....not worrying about waiting 30+ years to get the return on your investment. Most of us are not in that category.

Me personally, I don't look at the KR as an, "investment". It's not a very good one. Not with a 30 year timeline to see gains. My finance pie is only so big. So I pick and choose my investments. The KR is not one of them.

Sure...I'd like to keep it nice! But that's so I can....keep it nice! Not worried about investment/resale, etc....in the here and now. And it would ultimately be something I'd like to keep in the family. Give to the boys and let them fight over it after I'm long gone.

Unless you are in the outerspace category, I'd recommend drive it baby! It's toooooooo big a chunk of hard earned money to let sit and, "appreciate", in value. More likely depriciate in the next 20+ years.

That SGT you own is no slouch. Would have loved to kept ahold of mine. But had to trade it in for the KR purchase.

Good luck!

Steve

I agree with Steve... Drive and enjoy it. I have over 17K and drive my KR as much as I can. I have a 09 Focus (I call the 'baby' Ford) for a daily driver. Shelby built these cars to drive, not collect dust.

Happy Motoring!

I drove my KR at Summit Point last week because I figure that's what they were built for and, oh my...yes, they were built for that performance! Professional drivers and car builders aren't the only ones that should enjoy these cars. Have fun with it.

I agree that you should enjoy your KR. I believe that the stock on the KRs will defiinitely rise in the future. When? No one knows.

I drive mine nearly every weekend in the spring, summer and fall weather permitting. I have about 1700 miles on it right now. I bought it new in 10/09.

I was at SAAC 37 this past weekend and there was a guy with a KR running open track with it and passing Boss 302's. I asked him what he thought and he said it's great on the track, no heat soak and all you need are track wheels and tires (plus some protective tape for the front paint). I must say the KR was haulin a$$ and did pass a number of other cars. It was cool to hear that supercharger whine on the straights and see it gaining on the Boss 302's and pass them.

I was duly impressed. That KR was really haul'n the mail.

I agree that you should enjoy your KR. I believe that the stock on the KRs will defiinitely rise in the future. When? No one knows.

I drive mine nearly every weekend in the spring, summer and fall weather permitting. I have about 1700 miles on it right now. I bought it new in 10/09.

I was at SAAC 37 this past weekend and there was a guy with a KR running open track with it and passing Boss 302's. I asked him what he thought and he said it's great on the track, no heat soak and all you need are track wheels and tires (plus some protective tape for the front paint). I must say the KR was haulin a$$ and did pass a number of other cars. It was cool to hear that supercharger whine on the straights and see it gaining on the Boss 302's and pass them.

I was duly impressed. That KR was really haul'n the mail.

KRs are no joke. I've seen them hang with 2011/2012 GT500s on the drag strip and with Boss 302s on the road course.

Archived