TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can there be Shelbys without Shel?

sudden

I thought I would throw this out for discussion. Is the magic gone now? I have asked that question to myself. Now the new generation Shelbys have their own story to tell. They are the last cars that were touched by Carroll. Yea, I know we can get parts and so on. Also you can get KFC without the Col. , but I think it is a little different without our leader.. He had so much involvement and personality that anything from now on will just be a , " wanna-be" or a tribute . As in paintings and art , you need the artist to make that picture. Without the artist there can be no picture. I just think that without the MAN, we recognize that he was so special . Just my thoughts, how about yours? SUDDEN.

If anything I think the Shelby name has even more magic now. The important thing is to never let it sway from the path Carroll Shelby would have taken.

This will be a big challenge for Shelby and it's something that we've been talking about in our staff meetings for years. In fact, Carroll Shelby himself was involved in some of those meetings and was preparing us for the day when he wouldn't be here.

I can remember back in 2007 when Carroll Shelby was stating that he wanted the company to focus on the products and much less on him because, in his words, he " wouldn't be around forever."

Shelby's product planning already extends years into the future and Carroll Shelby's fingerprints are all over them.

Carroll's absence is hard for everyone inside and outside of the company to swallow. However, if the company and community continue to define and demand what a Shelby is and what the legacy should be about, that passion will be enduring and the brand will survive.

This will be a big challenge for Shelby and it's something that we've been talking about in our staff meetings for years. In fact, Carroll Shelby himself was involved in some of those meetings and was preparing us for the day when he wouldn't be here.

I can remember back in 2007 when Carroll Shelby was stating that he wanted the company to focus on the products and much less on him because, in his words, he " wouldn't be around forever."

Shelby's product planning already extends years into the future and Carroll Shelby's fingerprints are all over them.

Carroll's absence is hard for everyone inside and outside of the company to swallow. However, if the company and community continue to define and demand what a Shelby is and what the legacy should be about, that passion will be enduring and the brand will survive.

Counter to what a lot of people believe, Carroll Shelby never particpated in the actuall *build* process of his cars. He's well known/famous for putting a TEAM together to build his cars.

If Shelby American can keep the TEAM intact, Shelby and his cars will live forever.

Phill

Put it this way. What happens to us individually. When a close family member passes, do we give up on living or keep on living. I know that when that happens in my life, I am sure my mother, father, sister, brother,wife,even child would want me to live life to the fullest. I am sure that Shelby American will continue living. Like a father, I am sure that is what Carroll Shelby would have wanted. As far as real or not real Shelby, I never met him, but I have enough loyalty to not question it. It should not matter that he is gone. Shelbys are always Shelbys. Now my car is a tribute because it does not have the CSM saying it is a Shelby. If one day I can afford a Shelby, or even take my 65 to Classic Recreations to be made into a Shelby, It will be a Shelby because of Carroll Shelbys CSM. Put it this way, Henry Ford is long gone. Does this mean all the Ford cars we buy now are not real Fords? Or to get into something deeper, should there be no Bible creditable since they are not touched by God?

I think it all depens on the product orientation given by the people running the company. They need to make sure that every new product is true to the Shelby brand, and most of all does not cheapens the brand. There are numerous examples where a well respected brand tried to venture into a new market segment in a way that affects the image of the company negatively. For instance, Aston Martin launched a car, the Cygnet, that is nothing more than a Scion IQ in disguise and has nothing to do with what Aston Martin stands for. To me, having a car like this in their lineup cheapens the whole brand and this is what Shelby should avoid at all cost.

Other companies closely linked to their founder have survived and done very well, even after their founder's death; Ferrari is a good example. Just like Mr Shelby, Enzo Ferrari was also a legendary figure; the company has survived and prospered since his death because they have continued to build high end sports car while preserving their racing heritage. If they would have decided to buid Fiats with a bigger engine and slap a Ferrari badge on them, I doubt that the company would have been able to maintain its image.

My take is there will never be another "new" Shelby product. The product line is set in concrete now. Just as the Cobra can be produced forever because it continues to be produced per original specs, other Shelby cars can be produced in the future. Shelby could build SGTs again if the original specs were maintained, which might be a tough assignment. The GT500s are more pliable because, in their modern (2007 and after iterations) they were produced on an assembly line by Ford, not Shelby American. It will take some savvy marketing to promote the brand without upsetting those who bought cars produced during his lifetime. I wonder who will own the GT500s produced on the day Mr. Shelby passed from this world to the next? How about those for collector items?

Jim

Ferrari continues without Enzo, Corvette without Duntov - Shelby will continue and prosper as long as we all support it.

I think Michael has an excellent point here. It's up to Shelby American + Customers (all of us) to insure that the brand is protected and supported.

I think Michael has an excellent point here. It's up to Shelby American + Customers (all of us) to insure that the brand is protected and supported.

Those around that were mentored by Mr. Shelby during this current Shebly car build will be important fixtures going forward . When stories like the one below about the hood scoop on the SGT start to come out, there will be another generation of respected names to carry on the legacy. I look foward to many more stories.

The scoop was created by Vince LaViolette overnight. In a strike of genius he took a Cobra scoop, cut it in half and added a strip in the middle to match the proportions of the Mustang hood. I think Amy told Carroll over the phone about the idea and when it was "blessed" it went on the car. vince had to make a couple for the 2 cars going to the unveiling...

I've been a loyal Ford/Mustang/Shelby fan owner from the begining.

The GT 500 I have now will be with me until I check out. I will also support

Ford/Mustang/Shelby until then.

I'm so greatful that Carroll Shelby came along and gave us this great legacy.

I'm sure the company was left in good hands for the future by Shelby but... and that's a huge BUT... it's all up to the new people running Shelby American to groom who comes along in the years after they are gone. The dream won't live on unless the future generations at the top feel it and believe in it. Any company can build a car, but Shelby built dreams into reality.

Shelby stock has gone up a little. Now at .2992. Hit a 52 week high of .33 in the past few days.

Shelby stock sells at 33 cents per share?

Is there a graph showing the trend?

How is it doing over the long term?

I stopped dealing in stocks a few years back so I'm out of the loop these days.

Phill

it's all up to the new people running Shelby American to groom who comes along in the years after they are gone. The dream won't live on unless the future generations at the top feel it and believe in it. Any company can build a car, but Shelby built dreams into reality.

Totally agree.

Ferrari continues without Enzo, Corvette without Duntov - Shelby will continue and prosper as long as we all support it.

Well said !!!

I'm not so sure...

There are many who consider post-Enzo and post-Duntov vehicles to be "Ferraris" and "Corvettes". Not to mention "Porsches": I can't believe we live in a world where a four-door car carries the name of Ferrari or Porsche.

Perhaps Shelby should leapfrog the competition and develop a Shelby "Smart Car"?

Ohh noooo!

Ferrari and GM are major automobile manufacturers with considerable resources. I don't know that you can put Shelby in the same catagory. With the exception of the Cobra, they are in the business of modifying an existing automobile built by someone else (Ford) and manufacturing aftermarket parts and kits. I truly hope the legacy will continue on, but it will be a challenge for sure. I've been a Shelby fan and owner of quite a few Shelby cars begining with my 67 GT500 that I bought new in 1967 and up to my current 2007 GT500. As long as the Shelby company is in business I will remain a loyal customer and continue to support their products. I get just a excited to drive my current GT500 as I did 45 years ago.

hopefully they will keep the focus that Carroll wanted if that changes things will go down hill. If is has his blessing then its a Shelby make at Shelby American or Ford. The other items are for the foundation and I will support that to help out the kids. RIP Carroll

Ferrari and GM are major automobile manufacturers with considerable resources. I don't know that you can put Shelby in the same catagory. With the exception of the Cobra, they are in the business of modifying an existing automobile built by someone else (Ford) and manufacturing aftermarket parts and kits. I truly hope the legacy will continue on, but it will be a challenge for sure. I've been a Shelby fan and owner of quite a few Shelby cars begining with my 67 GT500 that I bought new in 1967 and up to my current 2007 GT500. As long as the Shelby company is in business I will remain a loyal customer and continue to support their products. I get just a excited to drive my current GT500 as I did 45 years ago.

Also there was a time when they didnt produce Shelby Mustangs, 1971-2004, it was when he was partnered up with Ford, he put his name on it, he blessed the product, etc.. Sadly now that he passed away, the new ones if they produce them after 2013 don't have his personal blessing. That's huge since we won't really know if he would bless future products, designs, etc... Yes they still make Corvettes, Ferrari's, etc...but they weren't personalized / blessed by someone. That's why they haven't stopped making the Mustang...they never have, but they have stopped making the Shelby version before, and I think that they may stop after 2014.

Archived