TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buldge 1012-A lug nuts vs conical 1012-K

Good Morning everyone,

Well I stripped another wheel stud last night due to my worn out Buldge wheel nuts. (Ford must have removed the wheels a thousand times checking "stuff" while putting 50k miles on my SVT#12 test mule.) I had ordered the replacement chrome studs, to finally replace them all, BUT when I opened the bag to put them on I discovered that they were Conical Studs (1012-K) not the Buldge style ones (1012-A) that were already on my 2007 GT500.

My question is...Is it OK to use the Conical Style Studs (1012-K)? They do not appear to have as large of a mating surface area.

Also is there a better type of wheel stud to use than the stock ones and how do you replace wheel studs? Grabber? (Replacing wheel studs is something I have never had to do before on any of my other cars... of course none of them were Ford Test vehicles either!)

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang / Mark

My question is...Is it OK to use the Conical Style Studs (1012-K)? They do not appear to have as large of a mating surface area.

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang / Mark

You're correct about the mating surface area. I didn't use them for that very reason.

Steve

.....how do you replace wheel studs?

Knock them out with a hammer/mallet, pull 'em in with a stack of flat washers and a lug nut.

I've done hundreds that way. I did always put a dab of white grease between each washer and behind the lug nut to be safe. Oh, and I always put the lug nut on with the outer/flat side against the washer. A regular lug NUT, not a fancy covered one. A standard 6 point nut works too, a lug nut just has more threaded area to it.

Phill

Thanks Phill for the procedure. I will be trying it next month when I am out of work again and have time.

Also everyone I called McGard and they told me that the stock 2007-2009 GT500 came with their wheel locks but not their lug nuts. Ford would not "Pony Up" for their more expensive lug nuts! They also said the contact area with their Conical lug nuts is the same as the acorn nut and their lugs are made out of much better material. I installed them and I swear a little of my ride problem with the Nittos went away?! I really do not think that is possible but it kind of fells that way. Maybe the 100-1000 times Ford took my wheels off while testing my SVT#12 and putting 50K miles on it wore the original lug nuts out and they were not seating proberly? Anyway it is nice to have lug nuts that actually fit in the socket properly and seat better.

I will report more after we get the new tie rod ends on next month....Might have a new McLeod or Centerforce clutch installed by my next update also.

Best Memorial Day Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang

It is way better to press them out and in with a hydraulic press...

Why?

Phill

Why?

Phill

Because when you knock them out with a mallet you transfer shocks to the bearings and to the hub.

When you pull them in with a nut, you put unnecessary strain on the stud's threads.

Of course this is theory and your way works... especially on a car where nothing is rust frozen...

I prefer to take the time to pull the axles out and take the front hubs off to do it the "factory" way.

But I am not the guy who "knows better" it's just a point of view. :)

Archived