TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3.73 gear before, now 3.31........

blk12svt

I have a 2012 and the main reason I bought the SVT model was to get the 3.73 gear as opposed to the 3.55 on the standard model. Now the '13 has a 3.31 for both the base car and the SVT. Makes me wonder if that extra 100 HP is going to be that noticable. Obviously part of their reason in going to the 3.31 is traction control and being able to proclaim a 200 MPH top end but I ain't going that fast anyway. Just wondering what others think about this revelation. No doubt the 13 and 650 HP will be the one to have 10 years down the road but a little disappointed they did away with the 3.73. I guess that's why the Boss 302, with 200 less HP is so strong against the Shelby as the Boss still has the 3.73.

With the 3.73s you have obnoxious wheel spin. Why do you want that crap? Your just paying to shift more when you don't have to. This way you can say you can go 200 mph, 62 in first, and more fuel efficient so you save some money. Saving money is always good. Read the reviews about the 3.31s, the testers only talk about how fast the accleration is. Its 0-60 is 3.7 seconds instead of 4.2 I mean come on.

I have a 2012 and the main reason I bought the SVT model was to get the 3.73 gear as opposed to the 3.55 on the standard model.

Now the '13 has a 3.31 for both the base car and the SVT.

The SVTPP's 3.73.1 rear gear ratio with the SVTPP 20" G-2 tires gave you the same final drive ratio as the "base" model's 3.55.1 gear ratio with the "base" 19" F1 tires so you didn't gain a thing unless you put a set of "base" GT500 wheels/tires on your SVTPP optioned car. No difference.

The reason to go with a higher gear (lower numerically) is to take advantage of the increased Torque the '13 produces. More torque (i.e. Twisting Force) will pull a taller gear without losing acceleration.

Phill

Thanks for the answers. I assumed the overall diameter of the 19" tire was the same as the SVT's 20". I got the SVT thinking it would be easier for my wife learing to shift so I guess I paid $3500 for a different set of wheels that I probably don't like as well as the base wheels. Oh well....

Archived