TEAM SHELBY FORUM

anyone trading a '12 for a '13?

blk12svt

For various reasons I decided not to wait on a '13 and bought a '12 SVT in January however I am now thinking about trading up to a '13. Just wondered what kind of deal others may have gotten in a similar situation. I deal with an old friend who is the finance manager and told him last week to put some numbers together but haven't been back in yet to see what they are thinking. My car has less than 900 miles and I got it for 52K which was $3570 under sticker. I don't think they would ask more than sticker for the '13 (he knows I wouldn't pay it) but wouldn't expect to get one for less than sticker either. So, just wondering what others may have faced trading up a year. Might make a better deal waiting till Jan 13 but the 12 will have more miles by then too.

For various reasons I decided not to wait on a '13 and bought a '12 SVT in January however I am now thinking about trading up to a '13. Just wondered what kind of deal others may have gotten in a similar situation. I deal with an old friend who is the finance manager and told him last week to put some numbers together but haven't been back in yet to see what they are thinking. My car has less than 900 miles and I got it for 52K which was $3570 under sticker. I don't think they would ask more than sticker for the '13 (he knows I wouldn't pay it) but wouldn't expect to get one for less than sticker either. So, just wondering what others may have faced trading up a year. Might make a better deal waiting till Jan 13 but the 12 will have more miles by then too.

I just traded in my "new" 2011 Ford F-150 4x4 Super Crew cab King Ranch edition for a "brand new" 2012 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor and I took a $20K hit.

And that was "trading down", to a less expensive truck (MSRP vs. MSRP).

Expect that plus the price increase from a 2012 to a 2013.

Phill

I sold my '12 to a private individual a few weeks ago and I think made a fair deal for both of us. I was able to buy my '12 at invoice so I only lost a few thousand. Downside is now when I buy the '13, I will have to pay the full sales tax of 6.25% since I don't have a trade in. I think the price point will continue to fall pretty rapidly on the '11-12's, especially on trade ins. It's a tough pill to swallow so you just have to decide how much it's worth to you to have this amazing new car in the very near future.

Hey Phill, I had a similar situation....traded a 2011 F150 lariat 4x4 with EcoBoost and 8k miles on it for my 2012 Raptor, but I think the EcoBoost really helped hold the value. I got $1k in trade less than I actually paid for it (but I stole it on the buy) and got the raptor for $3k off of MSRP, I got really lucky. I have to say though, I'm enjoying my raptor almost as much as my Shelby!

Hey Phill, I had a similar situation....traded a 2011 F150 lariat 4x4 with EcoBoost and 8k miles on it for my 2012 Raptor, but I think the EcoBoost really helped hold the value. I got $1k in trade less than I actually paid for it (but I stole it on the buy) and got the raptor for $3k off of MSRP, I got really lucky. I have to say though, I'm enjoying my raptor almost as much as my Shelby!

I had the EcoBoost too. It was one of the reasons I traded the '11. I paid MSRP for my King Ranch and Raptor too.

I looked at KBB and NADA on the trade-in value and they gave me just over that so I didn't fight with them.

I *probably* could'a got a better trade value but didn't fight it. I was also able to transfer the Extended Warranty, Extended Service Plan, Glass Protection Plan, Wheel/Tire protection plan and Gap Insurance over to the Raptor so it wasn't a full $20K I lost (minus whatever the value of all the plans was, about $5K if I calculate them right). I actually got money back on the transerable items which I applied towards the down payment on the Raptor.

I originally went into the dealer to talk about trading my 2006 GMC in on a Raptor when I tripped across the King Ranch and "had to have it!", I should'a just held on and bought the Raptor in the fist place.

I'm a impulse buyer and fully accept that I 'pay the price' for being one. I won't say too much more but I can afford it, I ain't hurtin'. I paid cash for my Shelby and I will pay the Raptor off as soon as I get the payment book in the mail so like I say, I'm not hurtin' <??SHRUG??>.

Only reason I financed my King Ranch was because Ford Motor Credit gave me a zero interest loan and I like to keep something financed so my credit score (864 last check) stays high.

Phill

I traded my 2012 GT500 last month with 5000 miles on it against a 2013 GT500. I paid invoice for my 12 base coupe when I bought it last summer (right at $45k with delivery if memory serves me) and I got $41k in trade against a new 13 that is priced $1k under sticker.

So I avoided paying a significant portion of sales tax again and it cost me a whopping $4k to drive a GT500 for a year.... That certainly sounds fair to me and I do not consider that "taking a bath". ;)

As we get into summer and fall, along with all the 2013 marketing and awareness, I expect 2012 GT500 trade values to fall.

I traded my 2012 and still get to drive it until the new one comes in. Got the 2013 Vert with the nav and heated seats and candy red all at invoice price. Was given 45,000 for my 2012 in which I paid msrp for. The difference in price was about 6000.00 for getting it invoice which I was willing to pay msrp but wanted around 50000 for the trade in. So I did get my asking price.

Oh hell yes I am going to trade my POS 2012... 1st to 2nd grind plus the horrid hook up!! The 2013 is so much further advanced esp in "launch" mode in really does make the previous years look like a old Ford Fairmont lol. Huge improvements---really feel sorry for the folks that have the 2010 and earlier. Grandma cars lol...

It is going to cost me about 20k because the 2012 has DIED in resale. The only bad part about the 2013 is that is has the same old crap interior. The big model change is supposed to change that!!!! I can't wait for that one though...

I can't resist.....^^^^^^what an A$$.

LMAO! I'll reserve my comments and let you make 'em! <lol>

Phill

LMAO! I'll reserve my comments and let you make 'em! <lol>

Phill

LOL......I don't need to make anymore comments. Just gonna go feel sorry for myself in my "grandma's Fairmont". Some people just don't think before they post. If it were not for us '07-'10 owners this '13 never would have seen the light of day. And not all of us have to have the latest and greatest, the '13 will be old news in a couple years and I guess he will trade for that one too. And he will be putting down the '13 owners too. Whatever, it's really not that important but no reason to disrespect owners of the earlier models.

Oh hell yes I am going to trade my POS 2012... 1st to 2nd grind plus the horrid hook up!! The 2013 is so much further advanced esp in "launch" mode in really does make the previous years look like a old Ford Fairmont lol. Huge improvements---really feel sorry for the folks that have the 2010 and earlier. Grandma cars lol...

It is going to cost me about 20k because the 2012 has DIED in resale. The only bad part about the 2013 is that is has the same old crap interior. The big model change is supposed to change that!!!! I can't wait for that one though...

:talkhand:Really !

My wife and I are proud to be Grandma and Grandpa these days. We have a 2 year old grandson and a 4 month old grandson.

Our beaters waxed up pretty good this week end.

001-5.jpg

002-13.jpg

003-7.jpg

004-14.jpg

006-12.jpg

tx cobra - please send one of your f-150 rejects my way. I will pay shipping!

Nah, I'm done trading trucks for a while. The EcoBoost was ok but the Raptor is amazing!! No regrets there.

Boss - I enjoy driving my ancient 2007 as much as anyone likes theirs.

I agree!! My old 2008 puts a huge smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel! I make no excuses for that generation of car. It may not have the latest technology but it is still one of the best looking mustangs of all time in my opinion.

:talkhand:Really !

My wife and I are proud to be Grandma and Grandpa these days. We have a 2 year old grandson and a 4 month old grandson.

Our beaters waxed up pretty good this week end.

001-5.jpg

002-13.jpg

003-7.jpg

004-14.jpg

006-12.jpg

Grabber....you missed a spot!

There it is....right there. Now you've got it! :hysterical2:

LOL......I don't need to make anymore comments. Just gonna go feel sorry for myself in my "grandma's Fairmont". Some people just don't think before they post. If it were not for us '07-'10 owners this '13 never would have seen the light of day. And not all of us have to have the latest and greatest, the '13 will be old news in a couple years and I guess he will trade for that one too. And he will be putting down the '13 owners too. Whatever, it's really not that important but no reason to disrespect owners of the earlier models.

Hey truth hurts sometimes. It is what it is. The 13 is a Huge leap forward over the previous 11 and 12's no reason to hate the old ones but they are like comparing a ZR1 to a regular Corvette in terms of performance that is all. It would be different if these cars had any collector value but there are just too many of them out there so for me might as well get the one that will actually get the power to the ground and not just make the tires smoke. You are either a "smoker" or a "hooker" lol and I prefer to be a "hooker"!

If it could be done and not show where it was removed my car would have all of the badging removed but that would not be good for when it came time to trade it. The car looks much better imho without the badging from head to toe but some people like that stuff and more power to them.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought if I might trade up for 5-7K I might do it but if it takes 20K no way. By next Feb it will be time to replace my company truck so I may buy a Raptor outright, through my corp, and then trade my '08 F250 diesel on a 13 Shelby. Of coarse that leaves a 12 SVT in the barn to keep but that's okay too as you can't have too many Mustangs.

To answer devious stang, why didn't I just wait? I didn't want my wife to have time to change her mind about getting a Shelby and at the time I honestly thought 650 HP was bordering on the ridiculous and I didn't want my wife to kill herself someday if it got away from her. But after getting the 12 and learning how docile they are till you engage the blower I decided the 650 HP beast would be the one to have as I look at it somewhat as an investment too. I am 58 and wife is 56 so the Shelby was just intended to be a fun car to take out to eat, and take that Route 66 type vacation in we have always wanted to do. Little did I know when I bought it just how much I was going to like it. I have 3 old Mustangs but have been seduced by these new Shelbys which until I test drove one last Fall had really not paid much attention to them before. Now, however, I am thinking about selling an old Cobra Jet so I can get a black LS Boss 302. I would like to have the new 13 Shelby though so have to see if there is a deal to be made. Thanks!!

well in that case no problem, as long as you had some rational reasoning for it. At this point since you explained some options you have I would certainly go forward with your plan of waiting till next year and trade the truck for the '13. Keep it stock as your cruiser, spirited run car. Take the '12 you have in the barn and make it into your racer, drop some weight, bump a little performance and boom...best of both worlds

Nah, I'm done trading trucks for a while. The EcoBoost was ok but the Raptor is amazing!! No regrets there.

I agree!! My old 2008 puts a huge smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel! I make no excuses for that generation of car. It may not have the latest technology but it is still one of the best looking mustangs of all time in my opinion.

Absolutely agree!!!.....Love my new(to me) '11 GT500(aka: Fairmont), but there's just something "special" about the '07-09 cars. The looks are much more "retro" inside & out(which I like), and the feel is much more "old skool muscle".....I think I'll keep the 'ol beater around for a while..... :wub2:

post-25069-0-94052900-1337721368_thumb.jpg

post-25069-0-94052900-1337721368_thumb.jpg

Hey truth hurts sometimes. It is what it is. The 13 is a Huge leap forward over the previous 11 and 12's no reason to hate the old ones but they are like comparing a ZR1 to a regular Corvette in terms of performance that is all. It would be different if these cars had any collector value but there are just too many of them out there so for me might as well get the one that will actually get the power to the ground and not just make the tires smoke. You are either a "smoker" or a "hooker" lol and I prefer to be a "hooker"!

If it could be done and not show where it was removed my car would have all of the badging removed but that would not be good for when it came time to trade it. The car looks much better imho without the badging from head to toe but some people like that stuff and more power to them.

Whatever.....I don't think any of us '07-'12 guys are hurting cuz the '13 "is a Huge leap forward". It's called evolution, and to be expected. If they left the car the same since its intro in 2007 there wouldn't be much interest in it. Just admit you have to have the latest and greatest, there's nothing wrong with that. BUT you don't have to put down previous models to make yourself feel better. Enjoy your '13 as much as we enjoy our '07-'12s.

Some people just don't get it! I guess that means a '69 GT500KR isn't a car worth owning. How can somebody be so out of touch blows me away.

Archived