TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Knight Rider

I liked the show for the car shots myself, although they did go way overboard with the whole "transformers" thing. They could have done a lot better with this series if they had some decent writing and more down to earth scripts. The best episode for the original looking car is the 2008 pilot movie. It is what it is though, and even so for me it is a must have because of the car content. Some very cool parts that come to mind are: the car is speeding across the desert at 200+ mph (driving itself) and you can see air streaming off of the body edges and spoilers like you would see in a wind tunnel test, and a scene where bad guys are shooting at the car with automatic weapons and the bullets bounce off the nano-enhanced body panels in slow motion. The car in the later episodes when in "attack mode" look quite a bit like the Prudome SuperSnake version of the real thing. The original pilot movie (with guest appearance by David Hasselhof) and all of the Season 1 episodes are still available in a dvd box set, or the Season 1 episodes as downloads from Amazon (not sure about pilot movie). The series overall has some nice scenery shots, no shortage of pretty women and popular music for its day.

Yeah,I'm highly suspicious the "attack mode" was inspired by the original Prudhomme SS.Just a bit more modified with violent weapons and stuff.And its understandable.

"Attack mode"--what does first come to your mind? A full-fledged,ready-to-attack,futuristic looking Mustang? Well,nothing more aggressive than a prudhomme package.

I enjoyed the Pilot, then from there it got a little worse as time went on. Still was entertaining, that black/black 'KR' was sexy as hell when screaming along in HD. The later morphing into a Flex/F-150/etc. was a bit of a reach. It picked up again towards the very end of the Season as they let go of some writers and actors and were planning on bringing it back down to earth for Season 2, but it never made it back.

I knew some of the guys that built the various cars, wish I was around during the filming. Looks like a lot of it was here in SoCal. I have the Pilot on DVD, I wish they would release the Season in BluRay rather than DVD alone.

krdvd.jpg

That DVD cover is the same as the promo posters that were running around. They were around Universal Studios as well, that was a cool image.

The girls in the show were :yahoo:

sptvkrcastpromostills001.jpgsptvkrcastpromostills003.jpg

NUP_131961_0041.jpgNUP_131961_0077.jpg

Can't beat the Black/Black KR on 20" Alcoas. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Knight_Rider.jpg

Shelby_Kitt_8.jpg

..that black/black 'KR' was sexy as hell when screaming along in HD...

NUP_131961_0041.jpg

Shelby_Kitt_8.jpg

Funny, that they didn't use a KR in most of the shots... No KR badging, no front brake vents, no mirror caps, has what looks like a SuperSnake splitter, and something just doesn't look right about that hood... Also, when was the last time you saw a KR with an automatic shifter? Definately a nice front seat cover on the passenger side, though. :)

Wnen Jay Leno did a little video on the car, it was oviously NOT a KR he tested... KRs do spins and donuts extremely well (!), unlike the car Leno tested.

Funny, that they didn't use a KR in most of the shots... No KR badging, no front brake vents, no mirror caps, has what looks like a SuperSnake splitter, and something just doesn't look right about that hood... Also, when was the last time you saw a KR with an automatic shifter? Definately a nice front seat cover on the passenger side, though. :)

Wnen Jay Leno did a little video on the car, it was oviously NOT a KR he tested... KRs do spins and donuts extremely well (!), unlike the car Leno tested.

I forget what they had in the fleet, but one was a GT with a Whipple, at least one other GT and one other V6.

The hoods were KR replicas. They were for sale along with the headrests and other parts locally once filming was done. As far as I know none were real KRs.

Yeah,that chic's Asian.Just like me :D

And I must admit,the KR gives a close look to SuperSnake with those 20".

They weren't real KRs? Oh damn! The other day one of my buddies here made a bet that the SuperSnake featured in the latest installation of the game Need For Speed wasn't an actual SuperSnake,but just a modified GT500.Never knew big production houses can be that selfish :hysterical3:

Much cheaper to use V6 and GT clones than a legit KR. Production teams are rough on vehicles.

And they usually have a multitude of various cars for various differnent camera angles and scenes. I doubt very much they'd spend the money on a real KR then butcher one side for right side interior shots, another for left, another on a dolly for close-up shots, jumps, slides, etc.

Phill

And they usually have a multitude of various cars for various differnent camera angles and scenes. I doubt very much they'd spend the money on a real KR then butcher one side for right side interior shots, another for left, another on a dolly for close-up shots, jumps, slides, etc.

Phill

You seem to know a lot about them.

You seem to know a lot about them.

I've been around enough movie sets and venues to know. I am NOT in the business, if that's what you mean.

I've seen one of the Knight Rider KR's at a show. You wouldn't believe how cheaply they're built. Things our eyes can see, can't be seen by a camera or at speed.

Phill

I've been around enough movie sets and venues to know. I am NOT in the business, if that's what you mean.

I've seen one of the Knight Rider KR's at a show. You wouldn't believe how cheaply they're built. Things our eyes can see, can't be seen by a camera or at speed.

Phill

So,could you tell if that Prudhomme edition was an actual separate model or just a VFX illusion?

So,could you tell if that Prudhomme edition was an actual separate model or just a VFX illusion?

From what I remember, there were only two Prudhomme models made so I think I can pretty safely assume that the Knight Rider (i.e. "KR") production team didn't have one.

I never saw the production video so I really can't opine on the reality of the "movie edition". Do you have a still/capture from the vid?

Phill

The one in my original post has some scenes of the KR tranforming/transformed into the Prudhomme (See 2:40)

And yeah,I agree.Seeing the limited run of Prudhommes and their sky-high costs and taking into account your comment #13 I'd say the chances of them purchasing a real model is almost nil.

Archived