TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Driving advice for shelby

svt13

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/15/lamborghini-gallardo-driver-shows-how-not-to-gun-it-at-a/

So I've never driven a 650 hp car. The most I have ever driven is 450 but the car weighed over 4000 pounds so I guess the fastest light car I have driven is a 12 gt.

But this video up here is my greatest fear for this car.

Any ideas on how it happened ESPECIALLY since that car is AWD.

For past shelby owners how do I avoid doing this kind of thing? Since this guy couldn't have been going more than 20 mph when he lost control.

Also if there are any other things that cause the car to lose control when you don't expect it like in this video please do share.

I've driven fast cars since the day that I got my license back in the '80's. Thank god my dad was a car guy and drag racer!

Anyway, IMO any street car with more than 400 hp needs to be treated with a great deal of respect. Even the best street tires are not designed to provide the level of traction necessary for these cars. Also, public road surfaces are uneven, dirty and unpredictable. If you leave a light and turn 90 degrees while crawling into a high performance car, you are likely to end up in the same situation as the lambo driver. I also think the AWD is what pushed him into the other lane. If that was RWD, he would have probably drifted it and spun out on his own side of the street at least.

From my experience, I would also say that these blown cars like the GT500 are even another beast all together. A high HP, naturally aspirated car generally makes its power up top in the RPM range. These positive displacement blown modulars come on so strong in the 3k rpm range, that they catch a lot of inexperienced drivers off guard. My first experience with these was an '03 cobra. I went the 2.8 pulley route and a good tune with the car making about 500hp at the tire. The car was a handful at the track on street tires, but you could get it through a run without too much drama. The street tires also helped you not break half shafts at launch. :) On public roads, it was a totally different animal. It would start to break loose and crab walk at 75 mph in 3rd gear on an onramp... My 2012 GT500 would do much the same thing.

In the end, you need to respect the power level and get some experience behind the wheel to understand how the car reacts in different situations. HP driving schools have always helped me too...

They are pussycats - can putt and idle around parking lots. There are also many nannies enabled unless you turn them off. The car is safer to drive than cars with 1/3 the power made 10 years ago.

With all the nannies on I had no problem ripping tire through 3rd on a highway on ramp with cold tires at 70mph. As Obiefox said I also have been driving high performance rear wheel drive cars since the late 80's. With this experience I was able to keep it out of the guardrail. My advice is to invest the $1500 in a performance driving school. It is a better investment than mods in my opinion. What good is power if you can't use it correctly?

Most importantly, don't even think about giving it boost with cold tires if you are unfamiliar with that kind of power, unless you like spinning in circles of course.

Joe

I would get driving lessons but there are no schools for high performance driving near me I think. Anyone know if there are schools in fairfax or montgomery country region?

So it seems the moral of the stories being told here are don't floor the pedal and turn on cold tires? But then my question is how do you know when the tires have warmed up?

Granted like others I don't take highway ramps at 75 mph :). And when I am on the street at least for the first year traction and stability control will be 100 percent on.

Another question is lets say what happens in the video happens to me. How do I correct it and avoid going into another lane with a RWD car like this? I know with understeer to correct it you just lay off the gas a bit till the grip comes back but I guess this is a case of oversteer? How do we correct this in a RWD car?

http://www.autoblog....to-gun-it-at-a/

So I've never driven a 650 hp car. The most I have ever driven is 450 but the car weighed over 4000 pounds so I guess the fastest light car I have driven is a 12 gt.

But this video up here is my greatest fear for this car.

Any ideas on how it happened ESPECIALLY since that car is AWD.

For past shelby owners how do I avoid doing this kind of thing? Since this guy couldn't have been going more than 20 mph when he lost control.

Also if there are any other things that cause the car to lose control when you don't expect it like in this video please do share.

My only advise from my racing days is go slow to become fast. This car has enormous capability in the right hands but will most certainly bite someone who does not respect it. Just be smart and have fun.

My only advise from my racing days is go slow to become fast. This car has enormous capability in the right hands but will most certainly bite someone who does not respect it. Just be smart and have fun.

Yea I am definitely going to drive like a grandma I just don't want to lose control on a 20mph turn at a light lol. Its retarded though I feel with the traction control on that shouldn't happen. I mean then whats the point of the cars if at any point in time a little gas is going to cause u to get in a accident. I'm hoping this guy lost it cause he had traction control off because thats an AWD car.

Yea I am definitely going to drive like a grandma I just don't want to lose control on a 20mph turn at a light lol. Its retarded though I feel with the traction control on that shouldn't happen. I mean then whats the point of the cars if at any point in time a little gas is going to cause u to get in a accident. I'm hoping this guy lost it cause he had traction control off because thats an AWD car.

My vote is he lost it because he had cold tires and had traction control off

You've already gotten the best advice that you will ever get: "Go to a High Performance Driving School"! Who cares if they're not close by, that's what Vacations are for..... :hysterical: There's Watkins Glen, Limerock, New Jersey Motorsports, Virginia International, and I'm sure there's more. Make it a destination, take the whole family.............

There is no other way to learn what it feels like. And being able to feel what the tires are telling you, knowing what the suspension is capable of, knowing how much throttle input is too much in any given circumstance; that's what will keep you safe. That and a very healthy dose of respect for a car that has WAY TOO MUCH power for the public streets! But you don't learn those things without pushing the edge and maybe even making a mistake or two. In a school situation, those mistakes can be made on a skid pad where no one (and nothing) gets hurt. :superhero:

The only way to really enjoy these cars is on a closed course racing circuit. Anything else, IMO, is putting lives at jeapordy.

You've already gotten the best advice that you will ever get: "Go to a High Performance Driving School"! Who cares if they're not close by, that's what Vacations are for..... :hysterical: There's Watkins Glen, Limerock, New Jersey Motorsports, Virginia International, and I'm sure there's more. Make it a destination, take the whole family.............

There is no other way to learn what it feels like. And being able to feel what the tires are telling you, knowing what the suspension is capable of, knowing how much throttle input is too much in any given circumstance; that's what will keep you safe. That and a very healthy dose of respect for a car that has WAY TOO MUCH power for the public streets! But you don't learn those things without pushing the edge and maybe even making a mistake or two. In a school situation, those mistakes can be made on a skid pad where no one (and nothing) gets hurt. :superhero:

The only way to really enjoy these cars is on a closed course racing circuit. Anything else, IMO, is putting lives at jeapordy.

Definate +1

Just go out and drive the damn thing. Thats how you get experance with this car. Don't be scaired leave the traction control on. Who here went to school before they got there car?

I didn't before I bought my first car, a 1971 Camaro. 2 months later I floored it going around a corner and put it into a pole. Thank God I didn't hit anyone else. End result was totaled Camaro and severely damaged pride. I signed up for the Bondurant School the next week. This was 20 years ago. If you take the time to learn the limits of the car slowly and safely you should be fine. As far as cold tires, I found that about 20-30 min of normal driving is fine. Obviously this is dependent on weather. If it is 30deg out it will take longer.

Joe

I didn't before I bought my first car, a 1971 Camaro. 2 months later I floored it going around a corner and put it into a pole. Thank God I didn't hit anyone else. End result was totaled Camaro and severely damaged pride. I signed up for the Bondurant School the next week. This was 20 years ago. If you take the time to learn the limits of the car slowly and safely you should be fine. As far as cold tires, I found that about 20-30 min of normal driving is fine. Obviously this is dependent on weather. If it is 30deg out it will take longer. Joe

lol i'm never going to floor it into a corner let alone do that with a car from the 70s. Yea I was hoping that I could just learn the stuff by driving it kind of like how I learned my car now. If I make a sharp turn and floor it on a rainy day i'll lose the back end and have to quickly adjust. I was debating finding a huge parking lot and doing crazy sharp turns while flooring the throttle when its deserted so nothing bad happens. I couldn't flip the car doing that could i?

Now my question is why do people say in the situation like the lambo and just oversteer in general to turn into the spin. If the car slips say the left wheel and has traction on the right so it ends up turning left why would it be a good thing to turn into that? Shouldn't you turn the opposite way? Thats what I do when I lose control on my car now in the rain sometimes and it works fine.

Archived