TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Get out of the attic!

As a few of you know, I have been out of the attic going to events. (No one has caught me yet!) You also know I'm not shy about speaking my mind when I hear things concerning the 40th cars. Two weeks ago I was asked why a 40th owner was wiping his car down every 15 minutes and treating it like is was the only Shelby in the world. But that is how many of us feel about our 40ths. Also heard comments on the group picture taken at the bash....you know the finger thing. I don't think this is the image Carroll had in mind.

I talk to many people around the country and pretty much hear how the 40th people are stuck up about their cars. We aren't stuck up, just very proud of them. Two years ago if some member posted something on the 40th forum there would be a nice response. Lately Tlitz, Bob and Blondiepa have made comments and not one person has had anything nice to say. I think we are all better than this, don't you? Lets put the fire back into being a 40th owner. I saw this coming a couple of years back and discussed it with Bob. This is one of the reasons why we came up with Team 40th.

The attic thing and stepchild thing was funny at the time but it has gone too far. We are the first post-title car owners ( not the GT-H, they were titled after they left SAI ) and should step up and show our pride, (not our butts), like we used to. Let's put some fun back in this forum! I will be leaving for Carlisle in two weeks and all I hear from my non-40th friends is how I have to park with "those guys" (40ths). I'm looking forward meeting some of you 40ths for the first time and showing everyone they are wrong and we really DO do a lot more than just talk about our cars. We have all done individual mods that makes our cars very special; there is not one better than the other, they are all unique. Bob has spent much time and money showing his car on the East coast, and I'm looking forward having a good time with him and all you other 40th owners.

Some of you might think I'm crazy for posting this but you might not be aware of what is going on off the radar. All you have to do is look at this forum to see there is little enthuiasm for 40ths overall, except for a certain group. Only a handful of the 312 40th owners are active on this forum. Where have all the fun-loving 40th owners gone???

I hope I haven't offended anyone, or hurt any feeling, but I feel it is past time to comment. If you want to talk, I will be at Carlisle with "those guys" having a great time. See you all there

GT67

I don't think anyone has the right to make fun of any car owner, we all take pride in our cars and that is what makes us all the same, people who think they are better than others in most cases use that as a way of making themselves feel as if they are above other people when in fact they are not.

Wow - this certainly came out of the blue. I had no idea. I have never heard a thing about this kind of perception.

For me - as far as positng - I simply haven't been on the forums as much for some time. I was active on 10 sites or so for quite a while over the years, going back to StangsUnleashed in 2006. We were all excited back then - and would follow each other on ordering, delivery, then mods, etc. Many gatherings and events followed and friendships made. Tho over time, I've posted less and less, so I'm sorry if I haven't commented when others have posted. I've only been posting here and there myself when I made a mod or did a dyno - and haven't been reading threads as much as I used to. Nothing should be taken from that. Everyone is proud of their car and wish to share it. Apologies all around for not being more responsive to others posts.

On the "Team40th" thing - I think we saw some "Terligua Island" shirts at a Bash a couple years back that we thought were cool for that group so we followed in-kind. "Team40th" was sorta in repsonse to our perception that SAI was letting us drop off the map - as we felt - after the SuperSnake was announced. It was about sticking our heads up collectively and saying that "we're still here and don't forget about us" - and not that we're better than others. We were having issues in getting responses and parts and the like. Team40th was more a poke at our friends at SAI - and nothing towards the Shelby and Mustang and car communities at large. Apologies all around to those upset by our forming of "Team40th".

The gang sign pic - come on - that was an improptu joke - purely in jest. Much ado about nothing. Again apologies all around if anyone was offended.

I find it ironic where we felt we were thought less of - we are now perceived as thinking the opposite about ourselves.

ps - I still think the 40th is the best Shelby and Black is the fastest color. So sue me. : p

Well Don I was not aware that our "inside joke" was making other non-40th or even other 40th owners to perceive us in a negative light. It was always just a friendly jab at Shelby American (the company) about ignoring us after the release of the follow on post title cars. Perhaps it was childish but it was always just in fun. Like anything, not everyone is going to think it's funny or in good taste but it was part of what brought us together to form Team 40th. I agree that we have made our point and the whole "children in the attic" joke is probably getting old. With that said, the "inside joke" and the follow on Team 40th group was also never about the 40th owners feeling superior to any other Shelby make or owners and was never intended to be a slam to Carroll himself. Team 40th has always been about us 40th owners sharing our love of these cars and our friendships with each other. The pride we show in our 40th cars at the Bashes, etc. has never been about the attic joke. It's not even something that has been discussed openly at any of the events I have attended. And If anyone reads anything more into the picture of all of us making fools of ourselves in my post they missed the point entirely. The point being that we were goofing around and not making a statement about anything.

As for the comments you are getting about detailing your car every 15 mins at a car show, I only know of a few Shelby owners that don't, regardless of model. I love my 40th car and my fellow 40th owners and have a blast with them every time we get together as I do with all the other Shelby owners as well. I am looking forward to Carlisle and seeing old and making new friends 40th or otherwise. I have not gone anywhere and will continue to post here on this forum but I do find myself spending more and more time on Facebook lately.

Also the 40th car is the best and black is the fastest color. :P

-- Bob

Oh geez........people need to grow up. Society is so "pansy" for lack of a better word at the moment. Everybody thinks they should be part of everything, that feel good, eqaul *&^% that is being shoved down our throats daily. I grew up in the era where you followed rules or whatnot to be a part of a special group! I guess they are all crying cuz they can't join the bow tie boys either, huh :hysterical:

My 40th just turned 40k. It is out and about everywhere! As for Bob and his black is the fastest blah blah blah, he secretly wishes his car was white :wub2:

I wish I was going to Carlisle, to meet up with the great 40th owners!!

I was at the Newsday car show last sat.on Long Island NY.

Going to car show sat. and sun. at Sands point on Long Island NY.

The last one that I am going to try and make this year is the MCA national in Rhode Island this July.

I wax my Shelby every 10 minutes!!

Todd

I really appreciate all your comments. John, you don't need to apologize for anything. :salute: Bob, you're doing great with team 40th keep it up. :yahoo: Andy, I'll give you a hand shake up side of the head. :poke: Sherri, the only rule I live by is never let a Camaro pass you. :speedie: Todd it's OK to wipe every ten minutes as long as it's only your car. :hysterical:

And finally.......EVERYONE knows white is the very fastest color.

Don

Guessing I’m the one guilty of excessive wiping at Shelbyfest a couple weeks ago. That doesn’t sound right “excessive wiping” LOL.

Don,

During our lengthy talks, you should have told me someone was concerned. As seasoned Team 40th member, you need to keep us rookies in line. As Bob said, I can assure you that it wouldn’t matter which model I have though, I would treat them all the same. My wife giggled as we walked throughout Shelbyfest, commenting “holy crap, there are a bunch of you anal retentive guys here!” I’m hoping I represented not only Shelby, but Team 40th well at the show. I am very proud to say that I finally own a Shelby and wanted to show an example of Carrol’s work along with the custom car stand that Brian http://www.bp-art-design.com/ made. I hope you all have a great time at Carlisle!

th_IMG_5532.jpg

Proud and Happy member of this family of 40th owners. You are all my brothers and sisters, same as the KR, Terlingua, SGT, SS, GTS, GT350 and GT500 folks.

I just happen to have a soft spot in my heart for the 40th so they get a bit more attention from me.

Guessing I’m the one guilty of excessive wiping at Shelbyfest a couple weeks ago. That doesn’t sound right “excessive wiping” LOL.

Don,

During our lengthy talks, you should have told me someone was concerned. As seasoned Team 40th member, you need to keep us rookies in line. As Bob said, I can assure you that it wouldn’t matter which model I have though, I would treat them all the same. My wife giggled as we walked throughout Shelbyfest, commenting “holy crap, there are a bunch of you anal retentive guys here!” I’m hoping I represented not only Shelby, but Team 40th well at the show. I am very proud to say that I finally own a Shelby and wanted to show an example of Carrol’s work along with the custom car stand that Brian http://www.bp-art-design.com/ made. I hope you all have a great time at Carlisle!

th_IMG_5532.jpg

Thanks for your comments. You have a very nice Shelby to be proud of. In your picture, it looks like that orange Boss got the wipe treatment too.

I wish I was going to Carlisle, to meet up with the great 40th owners!!

I was at the Newsday car show last sat.on Long Island NY.

Going to car show sat. and sun. at Sands point on Long Island NY.

The last one that I am going to try and make this year is the MCA national in Rhode Island this July.

I wax my Shelby every 10 minutes!!

Todd

Don,

Way to go guys! B)

Way to go guys! B)

Nice try Bob,,,, but I will add one thing. I will respond to the rookie. I did not say anything because it is not my intention to judge others, we all do things a little differently.You were pleasant, nice and did represent TS and Team 40th as it should be. Good job.

BTW:

It's official,,,,,,we do have the OK from Todd to wipe every 10 minutes. :drool:

I am sure you handled yourself just fine Bob. Really if anyone is confusing our passion for our cars with us being stuck up then they really don't know us at all. The 40th owners I have come to know and call my friends are some of the most down to earth folks I have met. We joke around about having the best cars and fastest colors but really for me I just feel lucky to own one of these cars at this time and have the opportunity to share my passion with all my Shelby bro's and sisters. :salute:

GT67,

Thanks for sharing your insight on the way others are perceiving the 40th owners. From my experiences, Team 40th shares a special bond within the family of Shelby owners which has created a strong sense of belonging and loyalty. Perhaps this has been perceived by others as being stuck up. However, the truth is this group of 40th owners are some of the most considerate and friendly car people of which anyone could hope to have an association. The reality is perceptions can be stronger than the truth, and if we are considerate and friendly, we should keep your insight in mind as we represent the brand.

Gerry

I'm a newbie but I feel very blessed to own a piece of automotive history. That's how I feel about my 40th! I bought it last year from txcobra and I too wipe it down often. Almost as much as I do my black 86 four eyed fox but more than my wife's king ranch. I've never attended any bashes, shows or events but hope to someday. I have attended some local shows here in central Texas and I am received well. Especially by the younger kids, many taking pictures of the snake. My wife has begun to really get into the act. At a show recently, a young boy was looking at the car and his parents were taking pictures of him standing next to it when she asked if he would like to get his picture taken sitting in the driver's seat, PRICELESS! The look on his face that is! That's what it is all about. We have named our 40th "giggles". I don't think there's a need for an explanation on tne name :) If I ever learn how to post pics, I will

I'm a newbie but I feel very blessed to own a piece of automotive history. That's how I feel about my 40th! I bought it last year from txcobra and I too wipe it down often. Almost as much as I do my black 86 four eyed fox but more than my wife's king ranch. I've never attended any bashes, shows or events but hope to someday. I have attended some local shows here in central Texas and I am received well. Especially by the younger kids, many taking pictures of the snake. My wife has begun to really get into the act. At a show recently, a young boy was looking at the car and his parents were taking pictures of him standing next to it when she asked if he would like to get his picture taken sitting in the driver's seat, PRICELESS! The look on his face that is! That's what it is all about. We have named our 40th "giggles". I don't think there's a need for an explanation on tne name :) If I ever learn how to post pics, I will

Welcome to the attic! (sorry, don)

Archived