TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I hope this seller makes a sale then "chokes on it"

That's right. I hope this seller actually sells his car which includes "issues found" in his accident report, takes his profits, and chokes on em.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Shelby-Hertz-GTH-2006-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GTH-Signed-Shelby-/190678022160?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c654bb810#ht_500wt_1182

I know this is a "free market system" and it is his right to ask what he wants and blah, blah, blah. I am a huge supporter of capitalism and I live it large, but there just seams something horribly wrong when you try to capitalize on the death of an icon OR anyones death for that matter (and I am very sure the timing of his listing is NOT a coincidence). I think the "free market system" could be somewhat broken based on the brilliance of this ad. So please, mr. seller ( and I use the term "mr" with great sarcasm), I hope you do sell your car for $75,000 large, take the profits, and spend it foolishly. Perhaps you'll spend it on a penile enlargement or even an MRI to in fact see if there is indeed a tiny brain in that fat head of yours.

Jerk.

QSS

I know this ad is one of many but I'm getting a little tired of seeing the dark side of society in the last couple of days, especially now.

I am still working on my first cup of coffee and might be missing something but I don't see the issue. Here is what the seller posted as his description of the car (everytime the seller used the word "shelby," I colored that text red so it would stand out for ease of reference):

2006 FORD SHELBY GT-H COUPE . THIS VEHICLE IS FEATURED IN HERTZ BLACK WITH GOLD STRIPE PAINT SCHEME WITH BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR. THIS LIMITED PRODUCTION CAR IS NUMBER 250 OF 500 PRODUCED. BUILT BY THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY AND UPGRADED BY SHELBY AT THE LAS VEGAS FACILITY.CAROL SHELBY SIGNED THE PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG COVER. (I HAVE THE CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY) THE OPTIONS INLCUDE: 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, 3.55 REAR GEAR RATIO, 90MM THROTTLE BODY WITH COLD AIR PACKAGE, EXHAUST WITH X PIPE, SPECIAL EXHAUST TIPS, SHELBY TUNED SUSPENSION, UNIQUE 17 ALUMINUM WHEELS, PIRELLI 235/55/17 TIRES,SPECIAL HOOD, SPOILER, DECK LID BADGING. THE CAR HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE RAIN AND LIVES IN A HEATED GARAGE WITH A CAR COVER. I HAVE ALL DOCUMENTATION/PAPERWORK OF CAR INCLUDING COPY OF ORIGINAL TITLE,SHELBY UPGRADE PAPERWORK AND DEALER SERVICE WORK tHESHELBY HAS BBEN REGISTERED WITH SHELBY IN LAS VEGAS. ALL DOCUMENTS AND TRINKETS GO WITH THE CAR

I did not see any mention of Mr.Shelby's passing anywhere in the ad. I agree with you about shameless people trying to make a buck on someone else's misfortune but help me out here and let me know what I am missing.

Jim

:angry2: all the people selling Carroll Shelby's signature stuff last week on eBay were fine. NOW, they Tripled their prices $ 1,499.00 for a signed GT500 Diecast.last week $ 350.00. All of them are WHORES.

:angry2: all the people selling Carroll Shelby's signature stuff last week on eBay were fine. NOW, they Tripled their prices $ 1,499.00 for a signed GT500 Diecast.last week $ 350.00. All of them are WHORES.

Good lord don't let the wife see that..............she's been after me to clean out the room full of my Shelby tresures (she calls junk) for years.

Are they gettin' those prices or askin' for them?

I'm still in shock over the $500 signed air-bag cover (currently at ~$2100)!

Phill

Hey, guys and gals, don't waste the energy.

The race is run, the flag unfurled, the champion now will rest. God speed, Carroll Shelby, we will never forget you. Jan. 23, 1923 - May 10, 2012.

I have to agree.

The Shelby community has come together again, has shown its genuine admiration for the man and his works, and is stronger than ever.

The one thing I don't like about it all is that a few have taken Mr Shelby's passing as an opportunity to inflate their own self-regard. Kind of a similar posture to that of the High Asking Price ploy. Stature by association.

As for the pricing of a Shelby artifact for sale on eBaY, so what? They'll be sold for what they are worth to a buyer. Some sellers will put the price up considerably just to have it on record. Point to (or show a copy of) a classified advertisement for any kind of memorabilia as support for a high asking price is an age-old technique, even though there may never have been a sale of such an item at anywhere near the price. Scrupulous? Not even. Understandable? You betcha.

PS: I'm tempted to edit that birth date. I'm still going to celebrate January eleventh.

I don't know --- you will have trouble getting good money for a 2012 GT500 -- dealers were into hold back in some sales. If anyone can make money then do it. Shelby sold everything with his name on it and made quite a bit of money. Bet he is just smiling wherever he is happy people are making money off of his name like he did..

I have to agree with Clark I see nothing wrong with the ad at all.

Same here. Nothing out of the ordinary at all.

As far as the signed stuff going for more money...really? That happens any time a celebrity dies. There's the initial panic from people that have to get something now to connect with them...then the frenzy will die back down.

Quick Silver - I have to agree. I'm browsing ebay occasionally each week, and since Mr. Shelby stopped signing the prices started going up to rediculous amounts. Now evern more. I thought how sleezy!! It's the way it is, but I really hope no one gives in to the crazy money they are asking for for these items. I too think that this will cool down after awhile. I could see raising the price of items a little bit, but 4K for a airbag cover??? Jiminey Crickets!!!

I have to agree with Clark I see nothing wrong with the ad at all.

Maybe I am missing something?????????

All right....... in all due respect, I do indeed think "your missing something". This particular listing was no coincident. An 06 GT-h listed for $75,000 large just after our "Godfather", our "Leader" our "Captain" our " General" or whatever you want to call it, passes away is a big deal. You see, I have followed GT-H prices for years and if the shear timing

of this particular listing has no correlation to what would be termed "an honest seller" or "nothing wrong with the ad at all", I'll throw down this challenge to you if you'll step up to the plate.

I will offer to you, the "nothing wrong with this ad" defender the following deal: I will sell you my 2007 GT-H 5 spd (that's right, one of 17 5 spd manuals produced for 2007 with a stick) for $75,000. It only has 3,100 miles or so on her and yes, I would sell it for $75,000, I would probably cry if she sold for this but I am throwing down the gauntlet to prove my point.

This listing was not just another innocent or free market listing but it was indeed someone who was trying to capitalize on Carroll's passing. I guess that's why it pissed me off. So, if you think there is nothing wrong with his $75,000 offer for a 06 with "accident issues", I offer you an 07 5spd stick with zero issues for the same price.

Are you willing to step up to the plate, or do are you willing to reconsider the fact that this seller may indeed be trying to steep to the lowest of the lows?

So, this offer is to you and you only as I am not willing to part with my 5spd baby to any one else but I am willing to throw down the challenge to you B) So, do you feel luck? Well do ya? :D

QSS

Quick Silver - I have to agree. I'm browsing ebay occasionally each week, and since Mr. Shelby stopped signing the prices started going up to rediculous amounts. Now evern more. I thought how sleezy!! It's the way it is, but I really hope no one gives in to the crazy money they are asking for for these items. I too think that this will cool down after awhile. I could see raising the price of items a little bit, but 4K for a airbag cover??? Jiminey Crickets!!!

Thank you sir, a 4k airbag is.......... how shall I say it..............."stupid money".

QSS

I wish I had stuff Shelby had put his signature on! Would be selling like a mad man this week because when as time passes the values will pretty much drop to a nominal value because he signed and sold everything he could. Point is there is a lot of it out there and the market that appeals to his memorabilia is shrinking every day.

If you invested in a stock, would you sell it when it is at its peak, or for the same price you paid for it? Remember, some people buy Shelbys that arent emotionally attached. There is nothing wrong with that.

Would you have been a piranha buying Ford at 1.80 because GM tanked? Im not in favor of using a misfortune for profit, but perspective dictates in my mind that this isnt a hurricane recovery where people are selling bottled water for 20 bucks a bottle. Carroll was 89 years old, and lived a great life. Lets not throw jabs because someone is using market trending to dictate a sell time or amount. Buyers determine value, not sellers. If it is worth it, it will sell for it.

I have to sell my GT350 in order to keep my company running. It sucks, but I have to keep 60 people employed. (and not just the 350 BTW).

Am I an asshole if I get 80k instead of 60k?

I have to agree with Dubbs on this one. Some people did in fact buy these cars with the sole intention of turning a profit. Betting on the fact that they would be worth more when Carroll passed away. Bottom feeders, yes. Just be proud that you're not one of them.

Thank you again Mr. Shelby for giving so many of us the chance to own "and drive" one of your cars.

Funny. If a Dealership does it, they're labled a "Stealership", called "gougers", etc.

No, I don't think you're an asshole if you get a premium price. Nor do I think dealers are stealers for doing the same thing.

Phill

I have to sell my GT350 in order to keep my company running. It sucks, but I have to keep 60 people employed. (and not just the 350 BTW).

You will never sell your GT350..... But if you do get $80K for it then HELL YES sell it. You have almost that much into it anyways so you would barely be making a profit

I would just be happy to get 50k for my 2012 GT500 lol. 6k miles hard loaded, black---no way. Cannot understand why folks are looked down upon for making a profit.

I'm not sure why this is such a surprise. It happens EVERYTIME a celebrity dies. It could be Carroll Shelby or Carol Burnett.

If someone wants to pay the seller's price, then so be it. I sold a 2008 Shelby GT a couple months ago for what I felt was a fair price. Could I get more for it now? I don't know...maybe.

Am I upset that I didn't wait a little longer to sell it? Absolutely not.

I'm not sure why people get so upset when this happens. It's going to always happen as long as someone is willing to pay the price. Think it's too much? There's a really simple solution. Don't buy it.

Your offer to sell your car really has nothing do to with anything. Life's too short to get this worked up over an ebay auction.

Thanks Dubbs for putting things inthe right perspective. Let's face it..Carroll was all about business, and if he could make a buck he would go for it. Check out today's USA Today article. They told the story how Carroll kept on painting the first (only) two Cobras to deceive the magazines (and public) into thinking he was in full scale production. He was a master salesman...why shouldn't others sell what they have for a profit? In a market economy it's the buyer determines the market price..not the seller. I don't see anyone complaining about buying a new GT500 way over MSRP...and I certainly don't see people complaining when their old GT350's are selling for $200k plus.

Thanks Dubbs for putting things inthe right perspective. Let's face it..Carroll was all about business, and if he could make a buck he would go for it. Check out today's USA Today article. They told the story how Carroll kept on painting the first (only) two Cobras to deceive the magazines (and public) into thinking he was in full scale production. He was a master salesman...why shouldn't others sell what they have for a profit? In a market economy it's the buyer determines the market price..not the seller. I don't see anyone complaining about buying a new GT500 way over MSRP...and I certainly don't see people complaining when their old GT350's are selling for $200k plus.

Nobody died in any of your examples.

I just have a problem with profiting on the death of "anyone". I know it's how things can and do work in the world but the bottom feeding is simply amazing. To capitalize on the death of anyone seams utterly insane and therefore I can surmise that I am not a "pure capitalist". I am just an ordinary, run of the mill, dime a dozen capitalist.

I think Gordon Gekko said "Greed is Good, Greed is right" but Bud Fox also said "as much as I wanted to be Gordon Gekko, I'll always be Bud Fox".

Just remember, when one of your Mothers or Fathers or Brothers or Sisters or one of your kids dies, if someone is waiting in the wings to make a few extra bucks on their "expected" or "unexpected" death, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, don't complain or get upset about it, just smile :), and congratulate them on being such a pillar of the "Market Economy". Finally, take heed, if this situation just happens to take place and affects you or your loved ones, Karma can and will be one nasty B!tch. So don't complain, whine or claim "foul" when the shoe is on the other foot, it's only our friend at work, our friend "Market Economy".

Now, I will try to chill out and take some deep breaths :reading:

QSS

Problem is you need more folks like you and me both that do not purchase these things at outrageous prices. When people do that then the folks that are looking to capitalize on a situation or tragedy will be choking on their item that doesn't sell. This is exactly why many famous people don't sign autographs and blow off the true fans. I have several autographed items of some famous folks. I would not dream of ever selling them. They are for me and my family to enjoy as true fans. I will go out and figure another way to make a living then these jerks that just buy and sell autographs and ruin it for the true fans.

Archived