TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Power Shifting advice!

Tomahawk

Here in Miami we have a legal 1/8 mile drag strip that everyone and their mother and their mothers car can drag on. I want to go their tonight and run my car if any one has any advice on power shifting w/o burning out my clutch that would be helpfull. I cant just sit back and watch these cars w/o running the BEAST!!

Added: Steeda cold air intake, Sct tuner, Steeda (Borla) exhaust.

The secret about power shifting is practice practice practice. Like anything else you have ever done, you just need to get behind the wheel and feel her out. The car is like a woman in a way-you just need to see what she will accept and get to know her. Once you know what her limitations are, the farther you can push her. From then on out, she knows what to expect from you, and you know what she is going to do-most of the time.

Here in Miami we have a legal 1/8 mile drag strip that everyone and their mother and their mothers car can drag on. I want to go their tonight and run my car if any one has any advice on power shifting w/o burning out my clutch that would be helpfull. I cant just sit back and watch these cars w/o running the BEAST!!

Added: Steeda cold air intake, Sct tuner, Steeda (Borla) exhaust.

You have 500hp, no need to abuse your car to make it run well, if you power shift too hard you're just going to put it sideways into a wall.

Drive the car to the best of your abilities, not in some new fashion you aren't used to. Just get a good start with as much traction as you can then roll onto full throttle and do a quick shift to second then third.

When your adrenalin is pumping and you are running down the track the last thing you want to be doing is thinking "Ok, I think I powershift by throwing the clutch in, then out, then shiftin..." etc..

Just run it how you know how to run it, as best you can.

Bring it home in one piece that way imo.

-DC

You have 500hp, no need to abuse your car to make it run well, if you power shift too hard you're just going to put it sideways into a wall.

Drive the car to the best of your abilities, not in some new fashion you aren't used to. Just get a good start with as much traction as you can then roll onto full throttle and do a quick shift to second then third.

When your adrenalin is pumping and you are running down the track the last thing you want to be doing is thinking "Ok, I think I powershift by throwing the clutch in, then out, then shiftin..." etc..

-DC

Good advice. I was thinking the exact same thing...

Tomahawk

-DC

Tomahawk

TCS on or off on take off?

I think when most here refer to powershifting, they are simply referring to shifting without lifting the throttle. You'll want to be quick with the shift so you don't over rev but it's not to hard. The hardest part is just getting used to it. You get used to letting off the throttle for shifting in normal driving and it's hard to make yourself hold the throttle to the floor the entire run. When it's time to shift, you just automatically start lifting.

-DC

Tomahawk

TCS on or off on take off?

Whatever you are comfortable with. Practive with no TCS on while on streets, then you'll be ready to use it at the track.

I don't believe you will get good enough traction to power shift. Like fastback said, powershifting is not lifting off the throttle. Speedshifting is letting off. Do what you know how to do. It is a lot of fun just trying to better your times. Don't pay attention to the car next to you. It's just test & tune too, so don't worry about your reaction time. That's when you can get over-aggressive and break the tires loose.

Even with the TCS on if you get on it too hard she still will turn sideways on you. This car has too much up front and not enough in the back to keep up. The main thing to remember is that you want to get home at the end of the night in one piece. Practice makes perfect.

One thing to consider is lowering your shift RPM so you don't over rev the engine as you are not lifting off the throttle.

My advice would be to practice at a much lower than normal shift point. Of course no power shifting is the safest thing.

Be careful out there !

George...

Archived