TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil heat question

Yksel

Hello there,

I am Kai from Germany and driving a 2012 Mustang Shelby GT 500 SVT.

Since we have no speed limit here in Germany I let my pony run as fast and long as possible. Now I heared rumours that this is damaging the car since the Motor oil, gear oil and differential oil could become to hot. I have a manual shifting Mustang not automatic.

Now I am thinking about adding additional oil coolers, but my question is do I really need to cool motor oil, gear box oil and differential oil or is additional cooling for the motor oil sufficient or do all three modules overheat easily? I know that automatic gearboxes need additional cooling, but the manual one too? Does anyone have experience and can give me advice please?

What I will do regardless is adding tempreture measurment for all three oils, will let you know the results. Looking forward to any experience or knowledge you might have, maybe from taking the car to the race track.

Can anyone help me please? Would like to know if it is needed to add additional oil coolers or wasted money?

You'll have to furnish your current oil temp figures before anyone can comment with any kind of accuracy.

Only a temp gauge will tell you if you need additional cooling or not.

Phill

I thought someone might have heared of a general problem of damage from overheated oil in one of the modules. In a V8 club here in germany I was told that you should not take the care out more than 15 miles on top spead or you could face danger that the eingine oil and or gear box oil and differential oil overheats. Just wanted to try to verify if this is a rumour or fact.

I thought someone might have heared of a general problem of damage from overheated oil in one of the modules. In a V8 club here in germany I was told that you should not take the care out more than 15 miles on top spead or you could face danger that the eingine oil and or gear box oil and differential oil overheats. Just wanted to try to verify if this is a rumour or fact.

I haven't heard of any problem like that in the US but we don't have a Autobahn to run full open for extended periods like you do. If we tried to do what you guys are legally able to do, we'd be in jail for a very VERY long time (seriously).

In your case, I think I'd listen to EU GT500 owners about a oil heating problem.

Phill

While on vacation in Japan, I ran into a 09 gt-500 that the guy used for drifting, he was running a aftermarket oil cooler, p/s cooler and a rearend cooler...the rearend cooler had a electric pump plumbed to it w/ a fan. I thought it looked cool.

Can anyone help me please? Would like to know if it is needed to add additional oil coolers or wasted money?

As stated above, sustained high-speed driving of any sort - autobahn or track - is extremely tough on the whole car. Liquids of all types need to be maintained at an equal extreme to prevent breakdown and failure. The GT500 stock from the factory can handle highway speeds and short duration "abuse", but, like other cars not specifically designed and built for the track, it will definitely break if pushed beyond it's design limits.

Having said that, ANYTHING you do to protect your investment is NOT wasted! Think of it as regular washing and waxing!

Oil, transmission, (auto or stick), rear end, and whatever coolers are a good investment for the long term health of your car, BUT balance that with a real examination of your driving habits to actually ensure the need.

If it were me and I was in Germany driving regularly on the autobahn, I would go for upgraded radiator, oil, transmission, and rear end cooling!

Sam

Thank you very much Sam, since it is an hesty investment I decuded to start with egine oil cooler and putting sensors in sll three modules. Will take it out on the aotobahn on a sunday morning and check tmperaturd in all three modules. Will keep you updated if you are interested. But will take some weeks since some of the parts have to be shipped from the US. Thx so far for help. By the way, even so i imported a new car, first thing we did was to exchange all oils.

Also consider the type of oil (conventional v synthetic) and the weight. You may wish to use a 5W-30 motor oil rather than 5W-20. An engine oil cooler is relatively inexpensive and will assist in keeping the entire engine cooler. Most do not realize the cooling that oil performs. It is not just the water/anti-freeze coolant that cools the engine. The oil is supposed to absorb heat and transfer away from the moving parts. But it goes right back in to the sump with little opportunity to cool. But an oil cooler not only cools the oil but also provides about another quart of oil for cooling, lubrication, and longevity.

Way back in the days before synthetic oils and the perfection of assembly lube, metallurgy, and production techniques, one of the automotive magazines used to publish a specification for all its test cars: car speed at 2,500 piston-feet per mile. The corresponding miles per hour was taken as the safe cruising speed for the vehicle under scrutiny. The late 1950s VW "bug" was deemed able to travel all day without strain at 123 miles per hour, if I recall correctly. That gave permission to VW drivers to plant the gas foot without qualms.

I'd have to guess the current state of lubricants, materials, and assembly has raised the"safe" piston-feet per mile and thereby the cruising speed for most cars. If I had any mathematical skills I'd try to figure the figure for a modern Shelby, but that will have to be left to someone else.

Any road, the engineers will be able to tell us how fast a GT500 can cruise without worrying about heat buildup and associated wear. I'll heat up the popcorn popper.

Mea Culpa. I did not read that you had the GT 500 and will require 5W-50, not 5W-20 oil. But the rest of the post is relative. And the GT 500 requires synthetic oil. If you can find a synthetic that also reduces friction more than the motorcraft you will also reduce heat.

All i know is that under racing conditions you should install additinal coolers. And that when driving fast for more than 15 miles the heat builds up in the motor oil. Question is if it is the same for gearbox oil or differential.

All i know is that under racing conditions you should install additinal coolers. And that when driving fast for more than 15 miles the heat builds up in the motor oil. Question is if it is the same for gearbox oil or differential.

Yes it's the same for all mechanical devices that uses gears, pumps, etc.. Heat is generated in use, harder , longer use, more heat. So transmission, deferential, power steering and motor. The question is, is the heat generated exceeding the point the lube or fluid in use can stand, and starts to break down.

That needs two things.. Specs on the fluid being used, and data log of fluid temps while in use... Or you take experiences and data from others that have cars in similar use.

Look at the FR500 cars.. The FR500-C ford Turn Key race car, for an idea of what has been found to be needed..

You can guess, and install coolers but your adding $$$$ and complexity where may not be needed.

Can I build a rear end cooler? Yes, easily, pump, lines, aluminum diff cover with two bungs installed, oil tank, and a Setrab, Derale, Afco, stacked plate oil cooler with fan..

The question is, does it need it... at the cost of additional weight, complexity (more things to maintain, more things to go wrong) and of course $$$$$

Much of the determining factors in answering the question, "Do I need more cooling for my lubricated components?" hinges on the efficiency of the cooling by normal airflow. If there is sufficient airflow over the components to keep lubricants at temperatures lower than breakdown, as apparently in the old VWs, additional cooling is unnecessary. It's probably a worthwhile project to investigate the possibility of improving that normal airflow and cooling by means of ducting or deflecting air-streams already established.

I decuded bow to fir install sensors and then take it on the Autobahn, will keep you updated. After that I will know which modules need more cooling. I love my car and don't want it damaged by drving to fast for to long!

Archived