TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ready to order - what should I do to make sure my order is not hijacked?

I've called a few dealers in my area, and I have a few that are willing to order a 2013 for me at MSRP. I have a 2008 GT500 that I bought from a local dealer back in 2008, at MSRP. They want $1500 over invoice, and claim that even if other dealers are willing to order it at MSRP, it will most likely be sold before I ever receive it, and they will just claim that there are delays.

What steps can I take to make sure that if I order one now, that it is mine, and that the dealer won't try to sell it off for more money before I take delivery?

Thanks!

What steps can I take to make sure that if I order one now, that it is mine, and that the dealer won't try to sell it off for more money before I take delivery?

Thanks!

Short answer, nothing you can do. This is a common practice with certain dealerships. Line up as many dates as they can for Saturday night and then take the prettiest one out.

Long answer, you could have an agreement drawn up by an attorney specifiying that the dealership is not able to sell/deliver a GT500 until your GT500 has been delivered at the agreed upon price. This legal agreement would need to specify monetary damages if the dealer does not hold up their end of the agreement as you can not force anyone to sell you anything. Sure you can sue for monetary damages which is why the contract would need to specify a delivery timeframe and what penalty the dealership would be liable for not delivering.

Besides the cost of having a legal contract drawn up, good luck getting the dealership to agree to signing it.

Best advice is to go with your gut and try to lock in a VIN number as soon as you can. Sure the dealer can still sell the car out from under you but with a VIN number at least they can't claim the car was delayed.

Steve

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm reasonably confident that the dealership i've dealt with twice in the past will come through with the car, but they want $1500 over sticker (that is where we left off). I suppose it might be worth it as opposed to dealing with a new dealer that I have no history with and that might sell it out from under me. On the last one, they gave me the VIN # fairly early in the process.

The other thing I'm wondering is: is there really an allocation this time, or is that a lot of BS? My dealer said he would get back to me after he confirmed whether he could order a 2nd one or not. He wants one for the floor (which is reasonable). I think I saw another thread where someone mentioned that there are no allocations for this round - they'll build what is ordered. Is that the case?

I am not an attorney - but when you give them a deposit to order a car - isn't that a legally binding agreement that the dealer needs to deliver you a car at the agreed on price. If you back out - you lose the deposit. If they back out - not sure what happens - but it sure could not be good for the reputation of the dealer in addition to bringing into question the ethics of the dealership that should be brought to the attention of Ford.

I know, I used ethics and dealer in the same sentence, forgive me - no flames please.

The other thing I'm wondering is: is there really an allocation this time, or is that a lot of BS? My dealer said he would get back to me after he confirmed whether he could order a 2nd one or not. He wants one for the floor (which is reasonable). I think I saw another thread where someone mentioned that there are no allocations for this round - they'll build what is ordered. Is that the case?

That stealership that you are working with is full of bs no dealer can afford to have a Shelby just sitting in there show room just for looks. If he doesn't have another allocation now, you are going to be on hold till ford gives him more.

Well I didn't get the impression he meant to leave on the showroom - more that he wants to put one on the floor with an ADM. In any case, the real question is whether there are REALLY allocations for the 2013. Is Ford limiting the orders to a certain number per dealer, lottery, etc.? Or not?

Well I didn't get the impression he meant to leave on the showroom - more that he wants to put one on the floor with an ADM. In any case, the real question is whether there are REALLY allocations for the 2013. Is Ford limiting the orders to a certain number per dealer, lottery, etc.? Or not?

Ford has claimed that they will build as many as they have orders for. BUT that being said it is still unclear as of now if dealers will get only a certain amount of allocations each year like they have in the past. ANYONE telling you different is full of shit. NO ONE knows right now. All that is certain is that every dealer who signed up is PROMISED one. They may get more they may not. It's a gamble either way. If i were you I wouldn't pay a PENNY over sticker and find a new dealer who won't give you bullshit. My dealer I have zero history with gave it to me all options at 1k above INVOICE. They said I should have it by June which was an obvious guess but it turned out to be right given how I have a build week of june 4th.

Okay, I went ahead and ordered it from a nearby dealer at MSRP. So far, they seem to be on the level, and faxed me the signed PO and copy of the order. I have the dealer # and order # that they provided. How/where do I go to track the order? How long does it take to start showing up in the tracking system? THANKS!

Okay, I went ahead and ordered it from a nearby dealer at MSRP. So far, they seem to be on the level, and faxed me the signed PO and copy of the order. I have the dealer # and order # that they provided. How/where do I go to track the order? How long does it take to start showing up in the tracking system? THANKS!

Ditto

Yes, there are allocations this year. They get 1 allocation for signing up and paying the program fee and additional allocations based on their previous year Mustang sales (Share Of Nation). People are making quite a bit of the "we'll make as many as we can sell" comment, but absolutely no one knows what that really means. Maybe additional allocations will be handed out later in the MY, maybe they won't. Open order banks after the initial allocations? Doubt it. Personally, I think it means jack squat.

One thing I am sure of is that cars will be available at the end of the MY.

Ditto

You need to get the DORA from the dealer. After a few days, call the SVT performance folks at 1-800-367-3788 option 1 and give them the order number and the dealer code. They can give you a status at that point.

Archived