TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pins

Super Snake

Has any one out there installed the Shelby Hood Pins on their GT500 yet?

Looking for your thoughts on the mod. Scary thought drilling my hood.

:banvictory:

Has any one out there installed the Shelby Hood Pins on their GT500 yet?

Looking for your thoughts on the mod. Scary thought drilling my hood.

:banvictory:

I've been considering this but I can't bring myself to doingthe drilling either. I may wait and see if I get an after market hood it would be a lot easier to do. I ran into a guy here a few weeks ago with them on his car and they looked pretty good but he had to have a shop weld extensions on so they reached through the hood propperly. I thought it looked OK but when you opened the hood it wasclearly not ideal. He was a little unhappy with the final product but since it washis car he was probably more picky than anyone. Point is make sure you get them for the GT500 hood not the GT hood if you do it or they will be too short.

The other thing holding me back is this hood is open all the time. It seems like everyone wants to see under there so the pins would be another step for me right now. Eventually I like the idea and look, but timing isn't right fo me on them yet.

I've been considering this but I can't bring myself to doingthe drilling either. I may wait and see if I get an after market hood it would be a lot easier to do. I ran into a guy here a few weeks ago with them on his car and they looked pretty good but he had to have a shop weld extensions on so they reached through the hood propperly. I thought it looked OK but when you opened the hood it wasclearly not ideal. He was a little unhappy with the final product but since it washis car he was probably more picky than anyone. Point is make sure you get them for the GT500 hood not the GT hood if you do it or they will be too short.

The other thing holding me back is this hood is open all the time. It seems like everyone wants to see under there so the pins would be another step for me right now. Eventually I like the idea and look, but timing isn't right fo me on them yet.

SAI sells them for the GT500, I would expect them to be a perfect fit, good point for the after marketers. My hood went up a lot at first but has settled down a bit

thanks for the input

SAI sells them for the GT500, I would expect them to be a perfect fit, good point for the after marketers. My hood went up a lot at first but has settled down a bit

thanks for the input

I bought a set from SAI, but I just can't drill the hood. I am thinking of putting an aftermarket hood on also (If I can get a KR Hood).

I bought a set from SAI, but I just can't drill the hood. I am thinking of putting an aftermarket hood on also (If I can get a KR Hood).

Just spotted this at the SAI website

Requires drilling hood for pins and screws. NOT INTENDED FOR GT500 (GT500 hood pin set coming soon).

Requires drilling hood for pins and screws. NOT INTENDED FOR GT500 (GT500 hood pin set coming soon).

I really like the pins but the drilling thing scares me. Also, do not know if I like the pins with the wires/cotter pin or the KR version that you push in and turn to release. Any thoughts on that?

Stuart

Uhh, anyone want to buy some Shelby GT pins? They didn't tell me that when I ordered them. Thanks for the heads up.

Something else to consider...I remember seeing pics of a Shelby GT on this site (brand new- pre-delivery) and in one of the pictures there was a large note on the dash board that stated: CAUTION: Be sure to unfasten hood pins BEFORE opening the hood. Then I got to thinking...do you think that someone who is working on your car will remember that? Doubtful...then again, what kind of damage could it cause? Does it mean you have to slam the hood down (after it attempts to pop up) and make sure it is latched again before you can unfasten the hood...or does it mean that the hood pin cables will possibly make some marks/dents in your hood?

The only long term problem that I have ever seen with cabled hood pins is if the cables have too much slack, the wind tends to whip them over the leading edge of the hood which in turn rubs the paint off in that area.

I prefer the later model pins that are spring loaded, push and turn style just for that reason. But I intend to dip the cables on my SGT in clear plasticote in an attempt to arrest any paint rub off that may occur.

EDIT: My Bronco has a fiberglass hood with pins. I have to have pins because I removed the latch assembly. The pins work just fine, but with one small exception. It's a SOB to lift the hood over the pins when it's cold. I have to slightly flex the hood from side to side while shimmying it up over the pins in order to lift it up.

Just an FYI for those of you thinking about going fiberglass in the future.

The only long term problem that I have ever seen with cabled hood pins is if the cables have too much slack, the wind tends to whip them over the leading edge of the hood which in turn rubs the paint off in that area.

I prefer the later model pins that are spring loaded, push and turn style just for that reason. But I intend to dip the cables on my SGT in clear plasticote in an attempt to arrest any paint rub off that may occur.

EDIT: My Bronco has a fiberglass hood with pins. I have to have pins because I removed the latch assembly. The pins work just fine, but with one small exception. It's a SOB to lift the hood over the pins when it's cold. I have to slightly flex the hood from side to side while shimmying it up over the pins in order to lift it up.

Just an FYI for those of you thinking about going fiberglass in the future.

Great points

I saw quite a few cars with hood pins and cables at the Barrett Jackson Auction, I didn't notice any chafing on the hood, which is a big fear of mine. I saw the ones on the KR Thats a good idea. Doesn't the Shelby GT have them. I call out to them...WHAZ UP???

Thought I would throw my two cents in. I also own a 69 Mach I with the original style hood pins. I have to be EXTREMELY careful not to scratch the hood when removing them to open the hood. Even doing so, I have scratched the hood (flat black). I imagine the newer style pins with different paint would be a little better but I am cautious.

I bought a nice set of stainless a few years back and intended on putting them on my 66 coupe. Layed it out perfect with the templets and changed my mind with the drill in my hands. Just couldn't drill a hole through my hood.

I say if you like the look, go for it.I prefer the real thing though.

true

what ever it takes to get the look you want

BTW

hows the car coming?

With any luck I'll have it by Friday............ key word "luck"

I cant wait to see pix

also thanks for the info on changing screen my name

I have a couple but havent desided which to pick

I hope you have lots of Good Luck

I am the Guy that Iceman ran into. I hired a local shop (that I used before on my 05 GT ) to install side scoops and hhod pins. I got the pins from virginamustangs.com because they were just like the old 69's. When I left my car I told him not to install pins if they will not be long enough to go thru the hood . A week later he calls me for pickup . The scoops were great (paint et.) but he did not follow my instuctions on the pins . When he relized they would not go thru the hood hee took them to a friend who welded extentions on them . when the hood is closed they are WOW! when I open the hood they look like S...!I to hve seen the messege on the Shelby site that GT500 pins are coming . I just hope they are avaiable before mid may for the Ford World Challage in mid May. Will swap out asap. untill then dont ask me to open my Hood.

Ken In indianapolis

I am the Guy that Iceman ran into. I hired a local shop (that I used before on my 05 GT ) to install side scoops and hhod pins. I got the pins from virginamustangs.com because they were just like the old 69's. When I left my car I told him not to install pins if they will not be long enough to go thru the hood . A week later he calls me for pickup . The scoops were great (paint et.) but he did not follow my instuctions on the pins . When he relized they would not go thru the hood hee took them to a friend who welded extentions on them . when the hood is closed they are WOW! when I open the hood they look like S...!I to hve seen the messege on the Shelby site that GT500 pins are coming . I just hope they are avaiable before mid may for the Ford World Challage in mid May. Will swap out asap. untill then dont ask me to open my Hood.

Ken In indianapolis

Wow man that bites, Good luck with those and love your screen name, welcome!

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the input

I wanted to install the hood pins so I purchased them from SAI, however you have to reade the description. It states not for the GT 500. They are now sitting in my garage, I guess I have to purchase a shelby GT to go next to the GT 500.

When they make them for the GT 500 I will purchase them again and have them installed. I think it is a great look.

Archived