TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is 2013 the last or will there be a 2014 662 HP car??

I know this is a dumb question but just want to make sure I have my facts straight. Is the "new" Mustang supposed to be a 2014 1/2 like the 64 1/2 or will the new car show up in 2015 giving me two model years to get one of the new beasts with 662 HP as a '13 or '14. I bought my '12 in Jan and the salesman said I ought to wait on a '13 due out in May but patience has never been one of my longsuits plus it gave my wife 5 months to change her mind so I bought the 12 thinking I would be happy and that 662 HP was more than anuyone would ever need. Then my never satisfied gene kicks in and I want the ultimate so I wonder when will be the last supercar, a '13 or '14? Thanks

You ask a good question, but I don't know if the answer is clear yet.

My guess is we will see a 2013 production schedule that winds down during the fall of CY2013. That will give them time to clear out old inventory and build demand/switch over to the new model. The 2015 would then start showing up at dealers during the summer of CY2014.

Just a guess though....

Just a bit of history - the 1964 1/2 Mustangs were registered as 1965's. They did have a few differences from the actual 1965 models - ie the door handle and window cranks were the clip on versions not the screw on type, the door locks were color coded not chrome, the six cyl versions had the 13" 4 lug wheels - to name a few. I'm not sure these were ever intentional so that the actual 64 1/2 models could always be distinguished from the 65's, but I would bet that Ford would not do any subtile changes to distinguish a 13 1/2 from a 14. The other 1/2 year intros from Ford and other manufactures, to my knowledge, never did what Ford did for the Mustangs in 64.

The salesman at my dealership told me that they were dropping the horsepower for the 2014 GT500s. The '13 GT500s are supposedly only having the 662 horsepower because its SVT's 20th anniv. He assured me that the '14s would be 620 or so. I'm not sure that I believe him but that's what I was told.

Just a bit of history - the 1964 1/2 Mustangs were registered as 1965's. They did have a few differences from the actual 1965 models - ie the door handle and window cranks were the clip on versions not the screw on type, the door locks were color coded not chrome, the six cyl versions had the 13" 4 lug wheels - to name a few.

The biggest difference I know of is the "64-1/2" had a 260 ci V-8 and the 65 had a 289 ci V-8.

But as you say, they were ALL 1965 models.

It irks me that people call them 64-1'2's, just like the guys that use the 70-1/2 designation for a 1970 Chevy Z-28.

At least there *were* differences between the early production '65 Mustangs and the regular production models. Not on a '70 Z though.

Buggin',

Phill

It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, including how the new-gen Mustang will compete w/ the Camaro which is also being changed at some point.

The salesman at my dealership told me that they were dropping the horsepower for the 2014 GT500s. The '13 GT500s are supposedly only having the 662 horsepower because its SVT's 20th anniv. He assured me that the '14s would be 620 or so. I'm not sure that I believe him but that's what I was told.

I guess your salesman wants to make sure he sells its 2013s. I find his story hard to believe. Ford would shoot itself in the foot if the power went down in 2014. Who would want to buy those 2014s rather than the 2013s unless the price tag also goes down substantially (which I doubt would happen).

Actually the 260 and 289 were both available from the start, but the 64 1/2 engines were 5 bolt and the 65's were all 6 bolt to the trans. plus the 64's were generators and the 65's were alternators. The switch came in early Aug of 1964. There were many small changes also.

Actually the 260 and 289 were both available from the start, but the 64 1/2 engines were 5 bolt and the 65's were all 6 bolt to the trans. plus the 64's were generators and the 65's were alternators. The switch came in early Aug of 1964. There were many small changes also.

I can assure you that you know WAYYYYY more than I do about early Mustangs!

I'm repeating what the goofs on the Barrett Jackson TV broadcast said. I do remember them talking about the Gen vs. Alt too.

Just for what it's worth, a friend of mine had a 260 in a 62 (I think) Falcon and that little sucker hauld ASS! It was a manual trans, I think a 4-spd and we used to cruise the drag in it and eat up bigger CI cars. I think it was just way light so the little v-8 could scoot it along real well.

My dad owned a 65 Mustang that I used to sneak out at night (at 13-14 years old) but *that* is the extent of my Mustang knowledge. <lol>

Phill

I read that the GT500 won't come to market for @ least 2 years after the new body. That's what happened to the 2005 model.

I believe that is a strong possibility. When the SN95's were first produced there were no Cobras; when the new edge model started out there were no Cobras or Mach 1's. When the retro returned, there were no Shelby's. Makes sense. What would that mean for the Boss 302 though? Like the 03-04' Mach 1, the Boss 302 only returned for a bit?

Yea, like your salesman has a clue about what the 2014 will be. :hysterical2: He wants to sell you a 2013. A sales person I guarantee you right now doesn't know more than the rest of the Mustang world about what 2014 will bring. If I were a betting man, I would put a pretty large chunk of change down saying there will not be a model year 2014 Mustang. Maybe a 2014 1/2 with the new body. I would imagine that this will all be pretty tight lipped for a while from the Blue Oval. Anybody in the know would not be working for Ford very long telling stories like that.

LOL that's funny...more dealer BS! The 2013 and 2014 will be the exact same car no differences . Don't believe what these dealers say they'll say anything to get you to by one now. The 2015 will be an all new Mustang.

LOL that's funny...more dealer BS! The 2013 and 2014 will be the exact same car no differences . Don't believe what these dealers say they'll say anything to get you to by one now. The 2015 will be an all new Mustang.

There will be a 2014 MY 662 HP Shelby. It will be a shortened production year, like 2012. Thie will be different color options and minor tweaks. The End.

Yeah, agree with the above posters. The 2013/14 will be the last of the "mega-cube" motors in Mustangs and probably the GT-500 for a year or two again… maybe. The 2013/14 GT-500 will be like the 1969/70 Boss 429 Mustangs all over again in the very distant future. Also depending on what happens to Carroll Shelby (providing he doesn’t live forever or become cryogenic frozen) we may see the Shelby GT-500 line disappear from Ford and the return of the Cobra Mustang like in the 1993 to 2004 years.

I like to think and tell people I own a Shelby GT-500 but all the younger generation sees is a “Cobra Mustang”. The 2015 and a half would be a good time for Ford to bring back a “Cobra”, which would be the Shelby without the “stickers”. But what do I know? I'm just an old guy who has enjoyed driving Mustangs for over 40 years (LOL). :shift:

Thanks for all the feedback. It's just what I wanted to hear. I only wish we knew what those new colors would be for '14. I have a black stripe delete '12 now but next time, due to the 13's darker wheels, I am thinking Sterling Gray with Black stripes so hopefully that will still be available in '14. Bill, I think you are right about the Boss 9 comparison and the future value of these 662 HP beasts. I really don't think anything Ford does in 2015 and beyond can top what's available now and will only make the 13 and 14 more sought after. Now I've got to try and figure out how I can get one of the new ones and keep the '12 for a driver.

I believe that is a strong possibility. When the SN95's were first produced there were no Cobras; when the new edge model started out there were no Cobras or Mach 1's. When the retro returned, there were no Shelby's. Makes sense. What would that mean for the Boss 302 though? Like the 03-04' Mach 1, the Boss 302 only returned for a bit?

CORRECTION: the SN95s had Cobra's during both initial MY runs. 1994 and 1999.

Example: "OFFICIAL Indy PACE CAR"

1964-1994IndyPaceCars.jpg

Ford re-introduced the Cobra in mid-1994 featuring the new styling as well as larger brakes, a revised suspension setup and wider wheels than the outgoing version, a "GT-40" lower intake and Cobra specific upper intake as well as GT-40 cast iron heads. Power was boosted to 240 hp (180 kW), though. New colors were introduced, Rio Red, Crystal White, and Black keeping the total palatte at three.

Cobra.jpg

The 1999 SVT Cobras had round foglamps and a small rear-facing hood scoop near the front of the hood. They were otherwise identical to 1999 Mustang GTs, even with "MUSTANG" in the rear bumper and GT seats. The '99 snakes did not have the corral around the grille pony. Though Ford advertised 320-hp for the '99 Cobras, they really only made 305. All of the cars received a new intake manifold, catback exhaust, and computer calibration to produce the as-advertised 320 hp.

rofl - the "salesmen" doesn't know squat.

Lot's of confusion due to Calendar years (CY) and model years (MY) being different.

The 2013 MY is being sold in CY 2012.

The 2014 MY is being sold in CY 2013.

In 2014 CY Ford will unveil the 50th anniversary mustang and it will be a 2014 1/2 MY car to continue the tradition.

Don't count on seeing a GT500 for a couple of years.

The total redesign will focus on V6's and GT's, the newness of this car will be enough to keep sales strong.

Then when interest lags the GT500 will be introduced and Shelby fever will again hit the streets!

I've heard from the local dealer shere that the 2014 will be just like the 2013. No changes, different options etc. 2015 MY and the thereafter of the GT500 is an unknown.

I've heard from the local dealer shere that the 2014 will be just like the 2013. No changes, different options etc. 2015 MY and the thereafter of the GT500 is an unknown.

Dealers don't know a single thing about 2014's. Guy, please don't listen to your dealers.

Why would anyone even believe that garbage?

Correct the 14 will be exactly like the 13 model years. Just like the 13 is out now in 2012.

Model years and actual years are different

the 14 will be release in 2013. (same car as the 13)

My 14 which will be the 50th new car which will be a 2015 model.

Gotta love when the "Salesman" is quoted in regards to his knowledge of future styling and performance levels. That stuff is pure entertainment. Many members of the car buying public are unaware of the fact that the average career of a car salesman is less than 6 months. Walk into an auto retailer and the guy you speak with may very well have been unemployed or mopping the floors at Walmart last month.

The 2014 shelby gt500 may have one change in options. Think about it between 11 and 12 they added the recaros. And 13 they did a complete redesign. Now they will not do another complete redesign. But I am sure there will be some kind of different option. Since 2011 ford has not been following their "sell the same car for 5 years" model that they did in the past. They been changing little things every year since 2011 MY. So the question that should be ask is what is the option that will be different next year and is it going to cost a lot for us people with the 13 to get it? Because for someone with no recaros to get recaros costs a pretty penny. So hopefully its something small that we can get with out much complications. Like perhaps new rims?

Archived