TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What does my dad need to know?

I've been lurking here ever since my dad put a down payment on a '13 Black w/ Red 'Vert. He has never owned anything with nearly this kind of power, and his last Ford was a '70's Valiant. What does my dad need to know about owning a Shelby GT500, and a new Ford? What do I need to keep him from doing? (He takes meticulous care of his cars, so that won't be a problem) What are some Ford or GT500 specific tidbits of knowledge that will enhance his pony car experience? I know these are broad questions, but I'll read it all, and there are undoubtedly other lurkers who'd love some insight as well. Thanks in advance!

TL;DR My dad is a GT500 n00b, what does he need to know?

I've been lurking here ever since my dad put a down payment on a '13 Black w/ Red 'Vert. He has never owned anything with nearly this kind of power, and his last Ford was a '70's Valiant. What does my dad need to know about owning a Shelby GT500, and a new Ford? What do I need to keep him from doing? (He takes meticulous care of his cars, so that won't be a problem) What are some Ford or GT500 specific tidbits of knowledge that will enhance his pony car experience? I know these are broad questions, but I'll read it all, and there are undoubtedly other lurkers who'd love some insight as well. Thanks in advance!

This car "DEMANDS" respect. It's an awesome car, but make no mistake, give it a huge amount of respect or it will mess you up bad.

QSS

PLEEEEESE stress to him that todays supercar tires are NOTHING like they were in years past. When they have heat in them, they stick like -crazy-. Just like a racing tire. Thats a good thing. BUT....Also just like a racing tire, when they are cold, they are slick as hell. Us Viper guys have learned that the hard way. Certified way to ruin your day is to take the car out on a cold day, and "get on it" within the first 15 minutes of driving. I've been a hot rod guy my whole life with amature racing experience, and I lost mine and killed a bush (no, not a chick, the plant kind). Anyway, stress that cold tires will kick his ass. Even on warmer days, drive a bit to get heat in the tires before any hot dogging.

I'm old school. I still break in my cars easily. I change my oil at 250 miles, 1,000 miles, 3,000 miles, then every 5,000 miles after that with Mobil One and which ever oil filter for the car has the best test results. If there is a track day, I change the oil before and after. BUT, your dad is smart and did not buy a Ferrari. He bought a FORD. What do I mean? Your dad can DRIVE and ENJOY his car. He can beat the living hell out of it for 200,000 miles and change nothing but the oil. Thats is why "I" love American Muscle cars. Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Viper. Buy a Ferrari and you have to take it to the dealer for a $15,000 service every time you drive the damn thing. Go to a track day and you will see the American Muscle cars being pounded on all day, and the "exotics" pampered asses falling apart. That GT500 is so over engineered, it will take anything he ever throws at it, and he can enjoy it for decades with only very basic maintenance. In fact, maybe it will be YOURS someday. Enjoy.

You and your dad might want to invest in experiencing a track day program together. Will teach you both some important things about driving a high performance car and will be fun at the same time. There are many programs out there. Just do a google search. Btw Valiant was never a Ford model. It was a Plymouth...

Well with 650 hp most of us are not sure what to expect. I owned a 05 Ford GT and very seldom got on it. That car had no stability or traction control and was a handfull. Even with all the new electonic controls cold tires are bad news with 650 hp. Buyer beware and sign up for a drivers school ASAP.

jealous son, Listen to the wise words these guys have shared. I have owned old Boss and Cobra Jet Mustangs for 40 years but didn't know fast until I bought this Shelby with 550 HP. It's my first supercharged car and that power comes on so fast I have about lost it a couple of times. It's so docile around town you'll think you are driving a Taurus but put that right foot down and it must be what an F18 Hornet on the catapult fells like. BE CAREFUL!!!.

Cold tires and a heavy foot will be the demise of these cars. Many a Ford GT was wrecked within 5 miles of the dealer's lot with < 50 miles on them. Don't let that happen with your new GT500!!!

Note also, so he won't be disappointed when he first tries to drive it, that the GT500 will not kick in boost until it's been driven a while. Check your owners manual for the rules.

Cold tires and a heavy foot will be the demise of these cars. Many a Ford GT was wrecked within 5 miles of the dealer's lot with < 50 miles on them. Don't let that happen with your new GT500!!!

Note also, so he won't be disappointed when he first tries to drive it, that the GT500 will not kick in boost until it's been driven a while. Check your owners manual for the rules.

Good advice about the boost not coming on for a few miles...I did not know this and turned around within a few blocks of the dealership and took my '10 back...after a few minutes, the service guy came around and told me the rules....looked like a noob!!!

Yea I was in Las Vegas in 2006, I stopped by the Ford Dealer and a guy was just leaving in his brand new Ford GT. He punched it leaving the dealers lot and wrapped it around a light pole across the street!

This car "DEMANDS" respect. It's an awesome car, but make no mistake, give it a huge amount of respect or it will mess you up bad.

QSS

QSS hit the nail on the head RESPECT is the key word. He needs to slowly learn the car and get comfortable with the power....remember, it's a snake and it will bite you

QSS hit the nail on the head RESPECT is the key word. He needs to slowly learn the car and get comfortable with the power....remember, it's a snake and it will bite you

Like Dirty Harry said "A man's got to know his limitations". It took me a while to figure out exactly what I could do with the Cobra, and that learning had to happen across a variety of conditions. Drivers think they are a lot more capable than the car. Don't try to find out while leaving the dealer's lot. Take some time, and if you can, find a track with lots of open space.

Yea I was in Las Vegas in 2006, I stopped by the Ford Dealer and a guy was just leaving in his brand new Ford GT. He punched it leaving the dealers lot and wrapped it around a light pole across the street!

One big difference of the Ford GT over the GT500 is that the Ford GT has no nannies. The GT500's traction and stability control will help. Again, my recommendation is to use them to your advantage: Unless you're TRYING to do a burnout, if the nannies help you it means you tried to do something you shouldn't have. Remember that and don't do it again. This was exactly the advice we got with the Corvettes at Bondurant: The nannies saved you and the car and kept you on the track and out of the tire wall.

One big difference of the Ford GT over the GT500 is that the Ford GT has no nannies. The GT500's traction and stability control will help. Again, my recommendation is to use them to your advantage: Unless you're TRYING to do a burnout, if the nannies help you it means you tried to do something you shouldn't have. Remember that and don't do it again. This was exactly the advice we got with the Corvettes at Bondurant: The nannies saved you and the car and kept you on the track and out of the tire wall.

All good advice. Though at least on the 11's the nannies are completely useless when one is on the throttle hard. I've yet to feel the traction control cut in in a helpful way. Usually it is at some random time when everything is otherwise under control. If the nannies make more sense, help performance and make normal street driving with cold tires sane, rather than just get in the way, and Ford has really improved the gear box, I may trade up to a '13 or '14.

One annoying GT500 thing that comes up is that everyone wants to street race and/or goes out of their way to keep you from getting in in front of them on just normal lane changes. The real serious types,Vipers, higher performance Vettes, very modded high HP cars, etc. are pretty cool. It is the idiots who think they have a fast car (big diesel pickups are also annoying) and really have no idea what is under your hood that are the problem.

For some reason I've had a big problem with Mercedes C series the last few weeks. Nothing like breaking the rear end lose on my morning commute because some idiot in a C series decides that he wants to race, when I really just want to pull ahead to change lanes to get around the garbage truck that is in mine. Watch the cold tires......

jealous son, Listen to the wise words these guys have shared. I have owned old Boss and Cobra Jet Mustangs for 40 years but didn't know fast until I bought this Shelby with 550 HP. It's my first supercharged car and that power comes on so fast I have about lost it a couple of times. It's so docile around town you'll think you are driving a Taurus but put that right foot down and it must be what an F18 Hornet on the catapult fells like. BE CAREFUL!!!.

I couldn't agree more! Remember the tires will break loose in any gear depending on the road.... hard into the throttle, slight turn in the road combined with a "littte" bump could mean disaster! It will swap ends faster than you can say what you will be doing in your shorts!

These guys can't say it enough... BE CAREFUL! This ain't your daddys Buick....

In my humble opinion, the biggest thing is to really take your time and get to know the car. Respecting the immense power is key. Just like all these previous folks have said, be smart and enjoy. Good luck!!!!!!

PLEEEEESE stress to him that todays supercar tires are NOTHING like they were in years past. When they have heat in them, they stick like -crazy-. Just like a racing tire. Thats a good thing. BUT....Also just like a racing tire, when they are cold, they are slick as hell. Us Viper guys have learned that the hard way. Certified way to ruin your day is to take the car out on a cold day, and "get on it" within the first 15 minutes of driving. I've been a hot rod guy my whole life with amature racing experience, and I lost mine and killed a bush (no, not a chick, the plant kind). Anyway, stress that cold tires will kick his ass. Even on warmer days, drive a bit to get heat in the tires before any hot dogging.

I'm old school. I still break in my cars easily. I change my oil at 250 miles, 1,000 miles, 3,000 miles, then every 5,000 miles after that with Mobil One and which ever oil filter for the car has the best test results. If there is a track day, I change the oil before and after. BUT, your dad is smart and did not buy a Ferrari. He bought a FORD. What do I mean? Your dad can DRIVE and ENJOY his car. He can beat the living hell out of it for 200,000 miles and change nothing but the oil. Thats is why "I" love American Muscle cars. Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Viper. Buy a Ferrari and you have to take it to the dealer for a $15,000 service every time you drive the damn thing. Go to a track day and you will see the American Muscle cars being pounded on all day, and the "exotics" pampered asses falling apart. That GT500 is so over engineered, it will take anything he ever throws at it, and he can enjoy it for decades with only very basic maintenance. In fact, maybe it will be YOURS someday. Enjoy.

Thanks for your extended reply. I will show him this post, and others, so he can learn something from the experienced owners.

Like Dirty Harry said "A man's got to know his limitations". It took me a while to figure out exactly what I could do with the Cobra, and that learning had to happen across a variety of conditions. Drivers think they are a lot more capable than the car. Don't try to find out while leaving the dealer's lot. Take some time, and if you can, find a track with lots of open space.

Given that he is getting a convertible, is he allowed on a track? He lives in SW Washington, so PIR would be the closest raceway.

Thanks to all who have replied!

Thanks for your extended reply. I will show him this post, and others, so he can learn something from the experienced owners.

Given that he is getting a convertible, is he allowed on a track? He lives in SW Washington, so PIR would be the closest raceway.

Thanks to all who have replied!

If he is faster than 13.99 (or 13.49 - cant remember exactly) he will need a rollcage in a vert - or take his foot off the gas about halfway down the track to keep from getting booted. This is an 11 second car.

If he is faster than 13.99 (or 13.49 - cant remember exactly) he will need a rollcage in a vert - or take his foot off the gas about halfway down the track to keep from getting booted. This is an 11 second car.

This is correct. Although, he wouldn't need a full cage, just a roll bar would be required.

This is a good thread. I am also new to owning a gt500, supercharged car, high horse power car etc.... I've driven at most a 450 hp BMW and Audi, and I test drove a 12 gt many times. If as some people say the shelby can so easily lose it from just getting on the throttle and making a slight turn, then how do people drive fast in this car besides in a straight line? When I test drove the 12 gt, I got on it pretty hard and made turns just fine. Granted the 12 shelby has 100 extra hp and the 13 will have 250 extra hp but does the extra 100 hp in the 12 shelby make THAT big a difference in traction when stepping on the throttle?

That 12 that you test drove I assume was not yet broken in. The GT500 will not even come close to being awake until it hits 500 miles on it. Yes there is a huge difference between the GT and the GT500 as far as the rearend breaking loose.

There are many ways to make the car handle better. If you spend enough time on here you will eventually read about all of the ways to improve traction and handleing

Well the thing is I don't really want to touch the car in a way that will void the warranty till it runs out. That's why I want to learn what are the stupid things not to do beyond the common sense things. For example I drove an 04 v6 once and made the back end break loose when I turned in the rain and slammed the throttle. But these cars now have better tires, suspension, and more advanced traction control so I am wondering what new things would cause these cars to spin out, besides screwing around before the tires warm up.

Well the thing is I don't really want to touch the car in a way that will void the warranty till it runs out. That's why I want to learn what are the stupid things not to do beyond the common sense things. For example I drove an 04 v6 once and made the back end break loose when I turned in the rain and slammed the throttle. But these cars now have better tires, suspension, and more advanced traction control so I am wondering what new things would cause these cars to spin out, besides screwing around before the tires warm up.

I don't think there is anything "new" to worry about. Driving my '11 GT500 on dry pavement (particularly with cold tires) is sort of like driving a normal car in the rain. I think what most of us are trying to get across is that when you pick up the GT500 from the dealer, and are jacked up on adrenalin from the excitement, try to remember that a '13 GT500 has more HP than 99.999% of the new cars on the road and even much greater than most 3-10 year old high performance cars built when 300-400HP was considered a lot.

One just needs to recalibrate ones use of the throttle to the extra HP a GT500 offers over most cars, just as one drives a normal car differently in the rain or other situations where traction doesn't support a full throttle, like driving on gravel or snow.

That said, habit is easier to overcome on the internet than on the road. Moving from a high performance vehicle to a lower one has similar issues. After I go from driving my GT500 a few days in a row to my Lexus SUV, my exit ramp speeds need to be re-calibrated......

I don't think there is anything "new" to worry about. Driving my '11 GT500 on dry pavement (particularly with cold tires) is sort of like driving a normal car in the rain. I think what most of us are trying to get across is that when you pick up the GT500 from the dealer, and are jacked up on adrenalin from the excitement, try to remember that a '13 GT500 has more HP than 99.999% of the new cars on the road and even much greater than most 3-10 year old high performance cars built when 300-400HP was considered a lot.

One just needs to recalibrate ones use of the throttle to the extra HP a GT500 offers over most cars, just as one drives a normal car differently in the rain or other situations where traction doesn't support a full throttle, like driving on gravel or snow.

That said, habit is easier to overcome on the internet than on the road. Moving from a high performance vehicle to a lower one has similar issues. After I go from driving my GT500 a few days in a row to my Lexus SUV, my exit ramp speeds need to be re-calibrated......

Yea I plan to drive like a grandma for the first month if not longer.

Archived