TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 shelby question

svt13

So this shelby will be my first car with vinyl stripes on it. I was wondering how do I go about washing this car? Usually I just take it to a carwash that does the vacum and has the cloth stuff wash my car and water jets, wax, etc.... Is this ok still or no? I was thinking of doing the hand washing stuff since they have a section where you can get the carwash hose or w/e they use but is it ok to spray the vinyls with this pressure?

Given the width of the tires and the height of the air dam, I doubt you will be able to run a GT500 through an automatic car wash. The manual for my 2012 said specifically that it would not fit most car washes.

I wouldn't worry to much about the stripes, but I would keep the high pressure hose away from the edges of them.

Why not just bucket wash your $60k mustang at home with the garden hose? :)

svt13,

Welcome to Team Shelby and congrats on your soon to be delivered new GT500. P L E A S E... do not go anywhere near a car wash pressure hose. Get close to the vinyl, and you'll be calling John Farmer for a set of replacement stripes. Invest in a couple of new buckets, a couple of microfiber wash mitts, a soft tire brush and a half dozen microfiber towels. Throw in some Meguiars car wash soap and have at it. Wax, polish and detail spray... well that's an entirely different subject(s). Good luck!

So this shelby will be my first car with vinyl stripes on it. I was wondering how do I go about washing this car? Usually I just take it to a carwash that does the vacum and has the cloth stuff wash my car and water jets, wax, etc.... Is this ok still or no? I was thinking of doing the hand washing stuff since they have a section where you can get the carwash hose or w/e they use but is it ok to spray the vinyls with this pressure?

I've seen where going through the car wash has taken the side stripes off the car, at least partially....don't do it.

son of a biiiitchhhh. I was hoping to not have to hand wash this thing all the time ESPECIALLY since its black. Oh well guess it can't be helped. Alright so since I need to hand wash it every weekend. I am guessing I shouldn't use the garden hose to spray water on it? Also how do I go about waxing the car and the stripes. Plus this car will have a clear bra on it if that changes how I should do anything? Thanks

son of a biiiitchhhh. I was hoping to not have to hand wash this thing all the time ESPECIALLY since its black. Oh well guess it can't be helped. Alright so since I need to hand wash it every weekend. I am guessing I shouldn't use the garden hose to spray water on it? Also how do I go about waxing the car and the stripes. Plus this car will have a clear bra on it if that changes how I should do anything? Thanks

I too am wondering about the clear bra, especially over the stripes. Heard the clear bra is a glossy finish and the stripes are not.

I too am wondering about the clear bra, especially over the stripes. Heard the clear bra is a glossy finish and the stripes are not.

My clear bra is not going over the stripes. They are going to laser cut it to fit perfectly over my front bumper and entire hood without covering my stripes. I am just wondering how would I clean the outside of the car like waxing wise and washing with the clear bra on it so that there are no swirls or crap like that.

I think it was the brushes that did it. A garden hose and a sponge or a mitt is not a problem for the stripes.

So how do I go about waxing the car and how often should I wax it? I also plan to get it professional detailed every 6 months. And how do I go about cleaning the interior?

Same as any other car...just keep the wax off any of the black plastic surfaces .....not sure about the stripes though, will have to wait to see if they are clear coated or not like the 07's were.

Same as any other car...just keep the wax off any of the black plastic surfaces .....not sure about the stripes though, will have to wait to see if they are clear coated or not like the 07's were.

As pathetic as this sounds, I have never really properly hand washed a car like this. Especially the interior. So that's why I was asking for some tips because I don't know what you would normally do lol.

black car.......check out Zaino..........I too knew nothing of washing waxing and caring for a car like this when I got my 07 and still get compliments all the time on the paint/finish/shine...

get good quality microfiber and 100% cotton towels....the Zaino instructions are very specific and easy to follow.

Dont get nervous about the steps.......it all easy and comes together fantastic..........heck, if I did it, anyone can!

you should probably consider doing a clay bar treatment....even though it is a new car......you wont believe all the crap

already on the paint.

Check out Zaino.......not expensive, and a great system to protect and preserve your brand new BLACK paint.

good luck.......

black car.......check out Zaino..........I too knew nothing of washing waxing and caring for a car like this when I got my 07 and still get compliments all the time on the paint/finish/shine...

get good quality microfiber and 100% cotton towels....the Zaino instructions are very specific and easy to follow.

Dont get nervous about the steps.......it all easy and comes together fantastic..........heck, if I did it, anyone can!

you should probably consider doing a clay bar treatment....even though it is a new car......you wont believe all the crap

already on the paint.

Check out Zaino.......not expensive, and a great system to protect and preserve your brand new BLACK paint.

good luck.......

Was planning to take it to get detailed from my place that I go to for mods and such right when I take delivery of it. Was going to get it, put carbon fiber parts on it, have it detailed, then take it to put clear bra on it. Or should I have it detailed after the clear bra? Or perhaps both? But thanks I will look into Zaino. I need to keep the paint looking good for many years. i plan on keeping this car for around 5-8 years if not maybe longer.

svt13,

Welcome to Team Shelby and congrats on your soon to be delivered new GT500. P L E A S E... do not go anywhere near a car wash pressure hose. Get close to the vinyl, and you'll be calling John Farmer for a set of replacement stripes. Invest in a couple of new buckets, a couple of microfiber wash mitts, a soft tire brush and a half dozen microfiber towels. Throw in some Meguiars car wash soap and have at it. Wax, polish and detail spray... well that's an entirely different subject(s). Good luck!

probably a dumb question here and a bit off-topic to boot, but: I've never had a car with vinyl stripes. if I do decide to remove the stripes in the future, is it as easy as using one of those hand-held pressure washers to get that cleanly, neatly and efficiently done, or is that just going to be a half-assed method that leaves a bunch of shreds still stuck? when stripes are removed professionally, how do they do it?

So how do I go about waxing the car and how often should I wax it? I also plan to get it professional detailed every 6 months. And how do I go about cleaning the interior?

Man, is this your first car you ever owned or did you have the butler maintain your cars? LOL!

Man, is this your first car you ever owned or did you have the butler maintain your cars? LOL!

Yes it was the butler :) lol. No I just always took it to the car wash and they always cleaned it so I never worried about it. I mean its not a 60k car so I don't care to clean it myself ever. At my carwash they have a section where you can use their hose and wash it urself and they have a those little sections for vaccuming too. But apparently I cant use a high pressure hose on vinyl stripes so I gotta do everything by hand so got to know how to do it properly. I want the outside of my car to constantly look like it just walked off a showroom floor.

I just don't really trust this car to the mexican people.

Wow....

Phill

Wow....

Phill

Yea its all illegal immigrants who work at the car wash in my area and they man handle your car in 5 minutes then move onto the next.

Wasn't trying to come off as racist.

probably a dumb question here and a bit off-topic to boot, but: I've never had a car with vinyl stripes. if I do decide to remove the stripes in the future, is it as easy as using one of those hand-held pressure washers to get that cleanly, neatly and efficiently done, or is that just going to be a half-assed method that leaves a bunch of shreds still stuck? when stripes are removed professionally, how do they do it?

ADF,

You definitely don't want to use a pressure hose for the purpose of removing vinyl stripes. They are best removed by using a heat gun (set on low for starters until you find what works best for your stripes in the surrounding ambient air temp) and by starting with a corner and then peeling it back S L O W L Y, training the warm air flow above and below the exposed tape. It should come off in large strips if the vinyl isn't damaged or extremely old. If your car/paint is relatively new, you shouldn't have any fading issue either, but might experience that with an older car/paint...

Archived