TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Allocation confusion

The OP has been told several times by those who work and Ford dealerships and KNOW about this stuff that without allocation you CANNOT order a car. Ford will reject all of them. His dealer is not trying to rip him off. His dealer tried to put the order in and hope for the best. But the order was rejected. If it truly was a case of them wanting more money from another buyer they would just ORDER ANOTHER car for that buyer IF (as some will have you believe) it has nothing to do with allocation.

A dealer could have 10 guys lined up with cash in hand and Ford will still reject every one of those orders. I know it makes no sense, I know it seems completely stupid or shortsighted on Ford's part but this is how it works and it has been this way for years.

You can believe what you want but there's no way Ford is only giving that dealer only (1) allocation for the whole year especially given the fact that they already sold their first allocation and (supposedly) asked for another.

Ford stated they would build as many as they have customer orders for. Yes I believe Ford will not take an order without first granting that dealer an allocation for it first . If the dealer has sold it's allocations Ford will then grant another for the next retail order that dealer has....it's that simple and it's Ford's way to keep the build numbers accurate without over building. IMO in this case the dealer is lying to get out of the deal.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can believe what you want but there's no way Ford is only giving that dealer only (1) allocation for the whole year especially given the fact that they already sold their first allocation and (supposedly) asked for another.

Ford stated they would build as many as they have customer orders for. Yes I believe Ford will not take an order without first granting that dealer an allocation for it first . If the dealer has sold it's allocations Ford will then grant another for the next retail order that dealer has....it's that simple and it's Ford's way to keep the build numbers accurate without over building. IMO in this case the dealer is lying to get out of the deal.

No, you can believe whatever you want. A dealer is not going to turn down a deal they have on the table in the hopes that some other deal will walk in the door in the future. If they will be given future allocation by Ford then is doesn't matter if they sold farmboy his car and then got another buyer at a future date because according to you Ford will give them more allocation.

Your own logic contradicts itself.

Basically allocation and a retail order are the same thing. Allocation is how many cars the dealer is allowed to order. He can choose to wait for a retail order and order the car however the customer wants it or he can use the allocation for a dealer order and order the car how he wants it.

Dealer orders are always given the highest priority and are built before a retail order. That's why your car is going to take 12 weeks to be built.

If he did it as a dealer order it would be built much quicker.

I have priority 10. So what your saying is since my dealer only has one allocation and it wasn't sold, that my car is actually using their allocation and their not going to get another?

If thats true then I should expect my car a lot sooner.

No, you can believe whatever you want. A dealer is not going to turn down a deal they have on the table in the hopes that some other deal will walk in the door in the future. If they will be given future allocation by Ford then is doesn't matter if they sold farmboy his car and then got another buyer at a future date because according to you Ford will give them more allocation.

Your own logic contradicts itself.

Whatever you say...your right according to you Whammer the 2013 and 2014 is a limited production car......

A dealer is not going to turn down a deal they have on the table in the hopes that some other deal will walk in the door in the future.
LOL your kidding right LOL they do it all the time to hold out for that high price they are looking to score, in fact there are still some 08KR's sitting in dealer's showroom's.

I have priority 10. So what your saying is since my dealer only has one allocation and it wasn't sold, that my car is actually using their allocation and their not going to get another?

If thats true then I should expect my car a lot sooner.

Yes that is what I am saying. They are not going to get another one, they have used their allocation on the car buying selling the car to you.

A priority 10 is very high, and your car will be built very quickly. 10 is actually the highest priority number that can be given to a retail order.

I believe there is a slight delay at the moment....GT500's that have been built are being held back for a quality control check. Once that is done the production should run fairly quickly and your car will be here pretty soon. Congrats!

Whatever you say...your right according to you Whammer the 2013 and 2014 is a limited production car......

LOL your kidding right LOL they do it all the time to hold out for that high price they are looking to score, in fact there are still some 08KR's sitting in dealer's showroom's.

Again you're proving my point and shooting a hole in your own argument.

KR's were limited, something like 1000. Dealers held onto them looking to get top dollar. But if they could order more they would just make the sale and order another one and so on.

If I've got unlimited ability to order GT500's, as you seem to think these dealers do, then why on earth would I not sell as many as I possibly could? Why would I turn customers away? I'd sell the OP his GT500 at the agreed upon price and if I had a guy walk through the door 5 minutes later saying he'd pay 20k more I would say- yes sir, I can order you your GT500! Let's get the paper work started! I would not call up the first buyer and tell him that Ford would not accept his order.

It makes no sense and only takes money (for the sale of the car, from warranty work, from maintence work) out of his pocket.

Again, believe what you want, it doesn't effect me in the least.

Bad news it seems. My salesman emailed me today and said they have to refund my money. He said they aren't getting any more allocation this year. Here is what he said:

"I went to Paul and he went to our VP. I regret to have to tell you that we will not receive additional allocation for 2013 GT500. Your deposit will be refunded.

I found out late yesterday. I was hoping to have favorable news for you after a meeting yesterday between our VP and our regional Ford rep."

Seems odd that the entire year allocation is somehow known only a couple weeks into the production year. Anyone calling BS on this?

A dealer friend of mine told me that this means the owner or someone probably found out my deal was for $1000 over invoice. And he got pissed so he is telling my salesman to refund the money and cancel my order. I have an order that I signed and gave him a deposit. Do I have any recourse here?

Farmboy,

There are several dealers advertising GT500 ( with VINS ) at MSRP on cars.com. I looked up there VIN and they have actual window stickers...might be worth a look if you had your heart set on a 2013.

Farmboy,

There are several dealers advertising GT500 ( with VINS ) at MSRP on cars.com. I looked up there VIN and they have actual window stickers...might be worth a look if you had your heart set on a 2013.

Thanks I looked at those, but none match what I want. I found a few dealers with allocation who would sell at MSRP, so that looks like what I will do for now.

I talked to a midwestern Ford Zone manager tonight on a totally unrelated matter, but I asked him about the 2013 GT500's and how many they would make and how the allocation worked.

He believes the final build number will be below 5000 units and his description of the allocation process is below:

Each dealer is allocated between 0 and say 10 (for the country's biggest stores). The allocation is based on prior year's Mustang sales. Each dealer who earned any gets one before anyone has a second scheduled. Any dealer that just takes orders and takes the deposits will (as always) have some explaining to do at the end of the model year and customers don't have their units scheduled. It happens every year the same way. I would also feel very comfortable in saying that "civilians" won't have anywhere near 5k available. 25% or more will be kept by the dealer that earns one. The same thing happened with the first ones a few years ago and with the GT40s.

I talked to a midwestern Ford Zone manager tonight on a totally unrelated matter, but I asked him about the 2013 GT500's and how many they would make and how the allocation worked.

He believes the final build number will be below 5000 units and his description of the allocation process is below:

Each dealer is allocated between 0 and say 10 (for the country's biggest stores). The allocation is based on prior year's Mustang sales. Each dealer who earned any gets one before anyone has a second scheduled. Any dealer that just takes orders and takes the deposits will (as always) have some explaining to do at the end of the model year and customers don't have their units scheduled. It happens every year the same way. I would also feel very comfortable in saying that "civilians" won't have anywhere near 5k available. 25% or more will be kept by the dealer that earns one. The same thing happened with the first ones a few years ago and with the GT40s.

Yeah the only problem with this logic is the 07 was supposed to be a limited to a one year run at 3500 units. They ended up making over 8000 of them. In 2011 they said they would only be building 3500 units they ended up building over 5000 because of the demand. Your are correct in saying that the dealers cannot just order as many as the want without first having an allocation for each order. However as they begin to produce all the orders in the banks Ford will start to grant each dealer additional allocations( which means a retail order not a dealer stock order) the same holds true for the Raptor. This is why Ford stated they will build as many as they have customers for. The limiting factor will be the dealers holding out for big bucks and delaying sales thus keeping the potential sales numbers down.

It may very well be that they end up only making 5000 or even less this year because it is such an expensive Mustang. Right now many dealers are holding out for MRSP or above. I know of quite a few potential buyers walking away from MSRP deals here in the east coast. I would have walked away myself but my dealer accepted my offer of 1000 over invoice so the deal was done. He originally wanted MSRP+$1500. This is the 7th year this car in being produced and it is not a limited production vehicle and they have stated they will be making this same car next year in 2014.

Don't get caught up in all the dealer's BS look and listen to what Ford is saying and what they have done in the past! Be patient. Right now it's all about dealers trying to capitalize on the hype by taking advantage of the real enthusiast's who really want it.

Yeah the only problem with this logic is the 07 was supposed to be a limited to a one year run at 3500 units. They ended up making over 8000 of them. In 2011 they said they would only be building 3500 units they ended up building over 5000 because of the demand. Your are correct in saying that the dealers cannot just order as many as the want without first having an allocation for each order. However as they begin to produce all the orders in the banks Ford will start to grant each dealer additional allocations( which means a retail order not a dealer stock order) the same holds true for the Raptor. This is why Ford stated they will build as many as they have customers for. The limiting factor will be the dealers holding out for big bucks and delaying sales thus keeping the potential sales numbers down.

It may very well be that they end up only making 5000 or even less this year because it is such an expensive Mustang. Right now many dealers are holding out for MRSP or above. I know of quite a few potential buyers walking away from MSRP deals here in the east coast. I would have walked away myself but my dealer accepted my offer of 1000 over invoice so the deal was done. He originally wanted MSRP+$1500. This is the 7th year this car in being produced and it is not a limited production vehicle and they have stated they will be making this same car next year in 2014.

Don't get caught up in all the dealer's BS look and listen to what Ford is saying and what they have done in the past! Be patient. Right now it's all about dealers trying to capitalize on the hype by taking advantage of the real enthusiast's who really want it.

You get it! There are a few barking all over this thread who have been drinking the Kool Aide wholesale and don't. It is simply amazing that there are enthusiasts out there who continue to swallow the BS about this being some form of a "Limited Producton" offering.

The '07 scenario is case in point. The original 3500 unit run that was expected magically mushroomed into nearly 11,000, 2007, Shelby GT500s being produced. There were 0% financing options offered on these cars in the summer of '07. What more would one need to know at that point.

Anyone who preaches crap about "alloications", "limits", "scarcity", "exclusivity", etc. either is on the retail end of this business, is someone who simply can't comprehend history, or is just punch drunk with enthusiasm and has his own illogical agenda. Ford Motor Company is not in the business of providing loyalists with collectable, appreciating, classics buy limiting their availability. These cars have been farted out by the tens of thousands for anyone and everyone who can pay the bill along with a bumper of crop of extras that grossly exceed any of the "allocations" estimates. The manufacturer will satisfy the demand as they have every single year and offer incentives as usual for the overstock.

NONE of this in the end is about shortages. It is in fact about an oversupply which has been dealt with annually in various fashions. These cars are not hard come by. Ford will be more than happy build us all the 60 some thousand dollar Mustangs we can buy!

There seems to be a great deal of confusion as is the case every time a new model comes out, in regards to Allocation and ordering. First lets cover the allocation process for the 2013 Shelby GT500. Only those dealers who have signed up and paid the enrollment fee(yes we have to pay for the privilige to sell them) with Ford to sell GT500's will receive them. Upon enrollment each dealer is guaranteed 1 allocation. Allocations beyond that are based on previous year Mustang sales.

Any order, whether it be a retail or a stock order must have an allocation to actually be scheduled and built. A dealer can build just as many in the order system as he wants but that does not mean it is going to get built. If it were really that simple then there would never be a shortage of anything. As for the priority codes, a retail order will always be a priority 10 which is the highest and will always take precident over any stock orders.

Now for the production numbers. Ask 10 different Ford reps and you will likely get 10 different answers. Each and every year we hear one thing and never know it that will be the way it goes or not. Ford may decide to increase or decrease production based on many criteria. We will only know the answer to this question as the model year progresses.

For those of you who have been told that a dealer will only be receiving 1 allocation, that very well may be true. Most dealers have a pretty good idea of how many initial allocations they will be receiving. They may in fact earn more later, but there are no guarantees.

If you dont feel completely comfortable with a dealer, then I recommend looking elsewhere. There are plenty of them out there who are willing to work with you and will tell you where they stand as far as allocations.

I know this is lengthy, but I hope it helps in some ways. Best deal you can get is the one you are comfortable with.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion as is the case every time a new model comes out, in regards to Allocation and ordering. First lets cover the allocation process for the 2013 Shelby GT500. Only those dealers who have signed up and paid the enrollment fee(yes we have to pay for the privilige to sell them) with Ford to sell GT500's will receive them. Upon enrollment each dealer is guaranteed 1 allocation. Allocations beyond that are based on previous year Mustang sales.

Any order, whether it be a retail or a stock order must have an allocation to actually be scheduled and built. A dealer can build just as many in the order system as he wants but that does not mean it is going to get built. If it were really that simple then there would never be a shortage of anything. As for the priority codes, a retail order will always be a priority 10 which is the highest and will always take precident over any stock orders.

Now for the production numbers. Ask 10 different Ford reps and you will likely get 10 different answers. Each and every year we hear one thing and never know it that will be the way it goes or not. Ford may decide to increase or decrease production based on many criteria. We will only know the answer to this question as the model year progresses.

For those of you who have been told that a dealer will only be receiving 1 allocation, that very well may be true. Most dealers have a pretty good idea of how many initial allocations they will be receiving. They may in fact earn more later, but there are no guarantees.

If you dont feel completely comfortable with a dealer, then I recommend looking elsewhere. There are plenty of them out there who are willing to work with you and will tell you where they stand as far as allocations.

I know this is lengthy, but I hope it helps in some ways. Best deal you can get is the one you are comfortable with.

The GT500 is far from a new model, the 2013 is the cars 7th consecutive year and is now selling into a heavily saturated market. Most of the guys who really wanted one have one and would find a trade up to be quite financially painful.

There is not really any misconception about "allocations" which is a great BS term for dealers perpetuating their manipulative crap about shortages. "Allocations" are the sellers problem at most. Buyers can find their GT500 at one the many thousands of Ford dealers across this great nation. Be absolutely certain that you will find a retailer willing and able to sell you a 60 thousand dollar Mustang.

Here the confusion ( maybe some dealers really just don't understand it)

Yes dealer's will be given allocations if they sign up.(and must be signed up to sell the car)

Some will get one, some will get more allocations depending on their previous sales(all true)

Now the ones that have one can only order that one allocation for stock etc., after that if they have a retail order it can be placed one at a time and Ford will approve that order.(their allocation must be sold)

They can not order multiples at a time nor any for stock They must have a retail order and their allocations will have to be order/sold first before going this route.

This is the same program that was in place for all gt500's and the raptor in the past.

This car is not limited and Ford will build as sell as many as they have orders for. (Anything else is just Hype)

Guys,

I hear you all and I'm just reporting back what the Ford Zone Manager told me. Everyone is an adult and they can make their own decisions based on all the information available. I have included the rest of his email below, where he states the qty will be less than 5,000.

My info is worth exactly what you paid for it. B)

"I'm not sure the exact number but it won't be more than 5k for sure. Whatever the number, it's certainly not based on how many orders we get. Each dealer is allocated between 0 and say 10 (for the country's biggest stores). The allocation is based on prior year's Mustang sales. Each dealer who earned any gets one before anyone has a second scheduled. Any dealer that just takes orders and takes the deposits will (as always) have some explaining to do at the end of the model year and customers don't have their units scheduled. It happens every year the same way. I would also feel very comfortable in saying that "civilians" won't have anywhere near 5k available. 25% or more will be kept by the dealer that earns one. The same thing happened with the first ones a few years ago and with the GT40s."

Guys,

I hear you all and I'm just reporting back what the Ford Zone Manager told me. Everyone is an adult and they can make their own decisions based on all the information available. I have included the rest of his email below, where he states the qty will be less than 5,000.

"I'm not sure the exact number but it won't be more than 5k for sure. Whatever the number, it's certainly not based on how many orders we get. Each dealer is allocated between 0 and say 10 (for the country's biggest stores). The allocation is based on prior year's Mustang sales. Each dealer who earned any gets one before anyone has a second scheduled. Any dealer that just takes orders and takes the deposits will (as always) have some explaining to do at the end of the model year and customers don't have their units scheduled. It happens every year the same way. I would also feel very comfortable in saying that "civilians" won't have anywhere near 5k available. 25% or more will be kept by the dealer that earns one. The same thing happened with the first ones a few years ago and with the GT40s."

That Email is as insulting as it is unbelieveable. The dealers will "keep" 25% of the cars they recieve. For what? To look at? For an investment?To remind them that they still sell Mustangs? Please, get real. The village idiot has figured out that these cars are not investments at this point.

Love the comparison made here to the Ford GT which this caveman refers to as the "GT40". No wonder many of the dealerships are so grossly misinformed when they are getting product information from goons like this tool obviously is.

I

Guys,

"My info is worth exactly what you paid for it." Exactly!!!

"I'm not sure the exact number but it won't be more than 5k for sure. Whatever the number, it's certainly not based on how many orders we get" More dealer BS here.

My priority was a 19 so where does that put me in the scheme of things?

Ahhh you guys are a lot of fun....

Good luck to everyone with their orders. I know I can't wait to get mine.

BTW: I spoke to my dealership today and they have 6 more guys in line ready to hand them deposits for 2013's, but they can't enter any more orders until they receive another allocation. They are willing to sell them at $1k under MSRP if they ever get the go ahead to order any more.

Ahhh you guys are a lot of fun....

Good luck to everyone with their orders. I know I can't wait to get mine.

BTW: I spoke to my dealership today and they have 6 more guys in line ready to hand them deposits for 2013's, but they can't enter any more orders until they receive another allocation. They are willing to sell them at $1k under MSRP if they ever get the go ahead to order any more.

Some guys just have a real axe to grind with Ford and their dealers.

There will always be more cars available than there are buyers and I don't think any of us are arguing over than point. The area in question is how many can a dealer order? It doesn't matter if a dealer has customers waiting in line, if they don't have the allocation they cannot order them.

Not all dealers are treated the same way by Ford.

Some dealers will only get 1 allocation and that is it!

Other dealers, like many in Texas will have allocation coming out of their yin yang.

And that's where the number available gets confusing.

A guy in Alabama ( for example) might not find any dealers close to him who can order him a car, but if he's willing to drive to Texas or have the car shipped to him from Texas he will have no problem finding a GT500.

At the end of the year there will be plenty of GT500's for sale, but many buyers will have to travel a fair distance to buy one.

My priority was a 19 so where does that put me in the scheme of things?

Priority 19....not good, I believe that is the lowest priority number given to retail orders. You should contact your dealer and ask them to place a higher priority on it, or ask them why they gave your car such a low priority.

Priority 19....not good, I believe that is the lowest priority number given to retail orders. You should contact your dealer and ask them to place a higher priority on it, or ask them why they gave your car such a low priority.

I've seen a few with a priority of 99 which is why I was thinking a 19 wasn't bad , guess not. I'll have to check with the dealer today

"allocations are the seller's problem at most"...+1...have the stealerships heard of the "world wide web"??, because if one dealer cant get someone a $60k GT500, I'm sure there will be another dealer "somewhere" that can.......

You know what they have heard of the world wide web and a local East TN dealer attempted to educate me on what it is good for. He told me "all the internet and forums like ours are good for is building excitement and for story telling". This old tool actually said "if the stories are not good we would not come back to these sites again and again". This guy was there INTERNET MANAGER!!!!!. WTF! Can you say high tech back woods dealer. Of course he was attempting to justify his 5k ADM.

"Each dealer is allocated between 0 and say 10 (for the country's biggest stores).

Ohhhh, this CAN'T be right...Just ask Manny Galpin. He says his allocation is 30!!! And he's only "number two in the Nation"...

BWAAHAAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Phill

Actually I recall specifically Ford said they'd build 5500 of the 2011 GT500s....I don't know what the final number was but I'm sure it was expensive. These cars HAVE to be limited production because quite a few parts are unique and they only have limited availability of them. Granted if demand continually exceeds the produced number of cars they will increase production for the next year but the fact they were giving rebates and A/Z plan to 2012 GT500s says that isn't going to happen, if anything the number produced this year could shrink.

Actually I recall specifically Ford said they'd build 5500 of the 2011 GT500s....I don't know what the final number was but I'm sure it was expensive. These cars HAVE to be limited production because quite a few parts are unique and they only have limited availability of them. Granted if demand continually exceeds the produced number of cars they will increase production for the next year but the fact they were giving rebates and A/Z plan to 2012 GT500s says that isn't going to happen, if anything the number produced this year could shrink.

I think around 5000 13's are going to be produced. It's also a short production run this year, production started late and it will end Nov. 29th.

Don't worry there will be enough 2013 GT500's for those that have the $ to lay out for them, when I bought my 2012 there were a lot of dealers that had them on there lot it was just a problem of picking the right one for the right price.

My dealer told me the exact same thing that retail orders always take priority over stock orders. I am still weirded out by this whole process. I ordered march 28 and I was in a material hold but now I am still in the "unscheduled clean" phase. I am also my dealers first order so I have to be certain to get a car.

Archived