TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Allocation confusion

I placed an order yesterday for the new gt500. The dealer I am using is a small town dealer. I know each dealership supposedly gets one allocation. But I also understand Ford said "We will build as many as are ordered".

My dealer says he isn't sure my order will get accepted since they are small and already sold their one allocation. He said he would put my order in anyway and we will just wait and see.

Can anyone explain to me how my order wouldn't get fulfilled? Do I have anything to worry about here?

Thanks!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as I understand it the allocation allotment matters for the initial builds, once thats done then retail stock orders will be accepted and built.

So you believe my order *will* get accepted, but it might take a while? I guess that's ok with me as long as I don't have to wait like 8 months or something.... That would be painful. :)

I believe this will become a good question and possibly a new way of understanding allocations. I was in the business for about 14 years on the service side and my old man for thirty six years on the dealership owner side. In the past allocation meant that's what you are getting unless the market changes for the worse or you could bargain for additional units. I had the same question for a close dealer owner friend of the family when I went to have him order my 13gt500 and he said I was only allocated two which were spoken for and he could not get anymore because of his allocation being met. Then I showed him the same findings as you and he said WHAT! He is checking with his dealer sales rep to see WTF is going on. I'm hoping for good news...

I believe this will become a good question and possibly a new way of understanding allocations. I was in the business for about 14 years on the service side and my old man for thirty six years on the dealership owner side. In the past allocation meant that's what you are getting unless the market changes for the worse or you could bargain for additional units. I had the same question for a close dealer owner friend of the family when I went to have him order my 13gt500 and he said I was only allocated two which were spoken for and he could not get anymore because of his allocation being met. Then I showed him the same findings as you and he said WHAT! He is checking with his dealer sales rep to see WTF is going on. I'm hoping for good news...

Thanks! Keep me posted on what you learn and I'll do the same. For now I am just praying it goes through. By the way, I called Ford customer service, and he said they are not limited like The Boss was. He seemed to think there would be no issue with my order getting picked up. Only time will tell though.

Without an allocation HE CANNOT ORDER YOU A CAR.

Your best bet is to search for a dealer who has allocation.

Ford will only build so many Mustangs.

They put limits on these cars. It is not a case of building as many as they can sell.

While it might not seem to make sense that is the way it is.

Without an allocation HE CANNOT ORDER YOU A CAR.

Your best bet is to search for a dealer who has allocation.

Ford will only build so many Mustangs.

They put limits on these cars. It is not a case of building as many as they can sell.

While it might not seem to make sense that is the way it is.

Ford has stated many times that they will build has many as are ordered.

This is not a limited car.

Allocations will be taken first, but retail order's will be filled.

It will also be a 2 year run 13 and 14.

Ford has stated many times that they will build has many as are ordered.

This it not a limited car.

Allocations will be taken first, but retail order's will be filled.

It will also be a 2 year run 13 and 14.

Well we'll see how it plays out. All I can say is that without allocation a dealer cannot place an order. If the topic creator really wants a 2013 he really should be searching for a dealer with allocation. As it sits now his dealer is just sitting on his order, he cannot send it to Ford as Ford will not accept it.

Many dealers will lie to the buyer in the hope that they can get more allocation. They don't want to lose the sale to another dealer.

If I really wanted a 2013 I would be actively searching for a dealer with allocation, that would be my Plan A. Plan B is hoping a dealer will be able to place an order at a later date.

Well we'll see how it plays out. All I can say is that without allocation a dealer cannot place an order. If the topic creator really wants a 2013 he really should be searching for a dealer with allocation. As it sits now his dealer is just sitting on his order, he cannot send it to Ford as Ford will not accept it.

Many dealers will lie to the buyer in the hope that they can get more allocation. They don't want to lose the sale to another dealer.

If I really wanted a 2013 I would be actively searching for a dealer with allocation, that would be my Plan A. Plan B is hoping a dealer will be able to place an order at a later date.

Not true, my dealer has only been promised one allocation but has submitted three orders which have been accepted. Who knows when two and three will be build. Three might be mine this winter. :)

Ford has stated many times that they will build has many as are ordered. This it not a limited car. Allocations will be taken first, but retail order's will be filled. It will also be a 2 year run 13 and 14.

It will be interesting to see how the "2 year run" plays out with the new car on the horizon. My hunch is that we will get about a year and a half of production as they will wind down 2014 production early as the new model comes into play.

Not true, my dealer has only been promised one allocation but has submitted three orders which have been accepted. Who knows when two and three will be build. Three might be mine this winter. :)

Perfect! My dealer submitted my order too. So it is in the system just awaiting acceptance from Ford. Glad to hear allocations are being given out as the orders come in. Hopefully my dealer gets one for me. :)

My order was accepted today. Dealer was not sure if Ford would accept, but Ford confirmed today that they did accept my order along with one other. If you want one, order it. Chances are it will get accepted and you will soon (relatively speaking) be driving one of these cars. Good luck . . .

This link will take you to a discussion which was started by the same topic creator. Two guys who do the ordering for their respecitive dealerships reply. Without allocation you cannot order a car. It's as simple as that.

http://forums.themus...nfusion-508391/

Yes and No...Yes they have to have an allocation to sell one but as long as they have sold that allocation and have a customer's retail order for another Ford will then grant them another allocation.....and another and another as long as they keep selling to retail customers Ford will keep building them. That's what some of the dealers just don't get. This car is not limited. Some dealers would have you believe that so they can artificially hold the price up even getting ADM's....believe me that will soon change.

It will be interesting to see how the "2 year run" plays out with the new car on the horizon. My hunch is that we will get about a year and a half of production as they will wind down 2014 production early as the new model comes into play.

Very likely scenario and more than enough time to build the public more GT500s than would ever be purchased. It is simply amazing to see how some people are swallowing the hype and BS they get from car salesman about "limited production", "allocations", etc. Holy Crap guys we have been fed this nonsense for six years. When has anyone been denied a new GT500 because there weren't enough to go around; NEVER! As if there will be a shortage of Mustangs that go out the door for over 60 grand and in some cases 70+. Get real.

Very likely scenario and more than enough time to build the public more GT500s than would ever be purchased. It is simply amazing to see how some people are swallowing the hype and BS they get from car salesman about "limited production", "allocations", etc. Holy Crap guys we have been fed this nonsense for six years. When has anyone been denied a new GT500 because there weren't enough to go around; NEVER! As if there will be a shortage of Mustangs that go out the door for over 60 grand and in some cases 70+. Get real.

Tell that to the people who couldn't order a Boss 302. They were limited production. Some folks don't get how production schedules work.

Tell that to the people who couldn't order a Boss 302. They were limited production. Some folks don't get how production schedules work.

I guess this is really the root of the confusion. The Boss *is* limited. We all know they set a limit of 3250 base bosses and 750 Laguna Seca models. I have a 2012 Boss and was lucky to get one. Since there is a limited and fixed number of them, I can see why they need to be allocated out to dealers. But the GT500 is *not* limited. In fact, apparently this is the first year where they just build them right alongside V6s, GTs, etc, without having to shut down and re-tool the line. So this whole concept of allocation really puzzles me. It sort of loses its meaning when something isn't limited in its production. At least for me, this is the confusing part.

At any rate, I am still hopeful my order will get picked up by Ford. Several other folks have been told the same thing by dealers, and their orders were picked up by Ford. So I remain hopeful that mine will get picked up too.

I'll obviously keep this thread up to date if my order gets picked up.

I have no idea nor do I care how these cars are ordered or sold in Canada. There are dealers in the US aggressively discounting the leftover, unsold, 2012 Boss 302s so there was obviously no shortage of this model in the US. The only shortages or limitations that exist are those present in the minds of enthusiasts who are suckers for their friendly neighborhood Fords dealers hype and nonsense. Anyone stupid enough to believe any of that crap is a car dealers dream customer and deserves to get bent over.

I have no idea nor do I care how these cars are ordered or sold in Canada. There are dealers in the US aggressively discounting the leftover, unsold, 2012 Boss 302s so there was obviously no shortage of this model in the US. The only shortages or limitations that exist are those present in the minds of enthusiasts who are suckers for their friendly neighborhood Fords dealers hype and nonsense. Anyone stupid enough to believe any of that crap is a car dealers dream customer and deserves to get bent over.

Man, if you are at work you need to take a few minutes and go in the back storage room and lay down. If you are at home take a short nap. Either one will make you feel better.

Bad news it seems. My salesman emailed me today and said they have to refund my money. He said they aren't getting any more allocation this year. Here is what he said:

"I went to Paul and he went to our VP. I regret to have to tell you that we will not receive additional allocation for 2013 GT500. Your deposit will be refunded.

I found out late yesterday. I was hoping to have favorable news for you after a meeting yesterday between our VP and our regional Ford rep."

Seems odd that the entire year allocation is somehow known only a couple weeks into the production year. Anyone calling BS on this?

A dealer friend of mine told me that this means the owner or someone probably found out my deal was for $1000 over invoice. And he got pissed so he is telling my salesman to refund the money and cancel my order. I have an order that I signed and gave him a deposit. Do I have any recourse here?

Bad news it seems. My salesman emailed me today and said they have to refund my money. He said they aren't getting any more allocation this year. Here is what he said:

"I went to Paul and he went to our VP. I regret to have to tell you that we will not receive additional allocation for 2013 GT500. Your deposit will be refunded.

I found out late yesterday. I was hoping to have favorable news for you after a meeting yesterday between our VP and our regional Ford rep."

Seems odd that the entire year allocation is somehow known only a couple weeks into the production year. Anyone calling BS on this?

A dealer friend of mine told me that this means the owner or someone probably found out my deal was for $1000 over invoice. And he got pissed so he is telling my salesman to refund the money and cancel my order. I have an order that I signed and gave him a deposit. Do I have any recourse here?

No

Thats weird. My local dealer has allocation for 1 GT500. They said they were asking 5k ADM for it. I told them I would pay MSRP and if they would order me one, they accepted and placed the order on 4/26.

What they told me at the time, is they already ordered their allocation, and not to expect the car for 12 weeks. I don't really understand how this allocation stuff works either, but they had me believing I wasn't getting their allocation I was getting a retail order.

I was worried like you where and called Ford CSR to check my order and its processing.

Did the dealer give you a VOC or a DORA?

Your dealer friend is spot on here. This is why dealers have such a bad reputation as being shady and dishonest. You can be sure if someone comes along with a MSRP or higher offer they will miraculously receive another allocation.

Thats weird. My local dealer has allocation for 1 GT500. They said they were asking 5k ADM for it. I told them I would pay MSRP and if they would order me one, they accepted and placed the order on 4/26.

What they told me at the time, is they already ordered their allocation, and not to expect the car for 12 weeks. I don't really understand how this allocation stuff works either, but they had me believing I wasn't getting their allocation I was getting a retail order.

I was worried like you where and called Ford CSR to check my order and its processing.

Did the dealer give you a VOC or a DORA?

No, but this info helps. Maybe I can get my salesman to give me the VOC. I don't think you get a DORA until the order is accepted right? Anyway, I will ask them for any info they can provide. Then I'll call Ford and see if they can find my order and make sure nothing is wrong with it. My dealer friend said, "there are a million ways you can tweak an order so that it never gets picked up". So I want to check with Ford directly in case something like this happens here.

As the OP just informed everyone, his order has been rejected. The dealer will not be getting anymore GT500's.

I know none of it seems logical but that IS how it works.

Ford schedules the building of these cars. There is far more to it than just taking orders and building cars. There is the matter of having enough parts, and all other kinds of logistic problems that few of us are privy to. These things are all planned out well in advance and it's just not a case of...hey, we got another GT500 order...start the production line back up.

Your dealer friend is spot on here. This is why dealers have such a bad reputation as being shady and dishonest. You can be sure if someone comes along with a MSRP or higher offer they will miraculously receive another allocation.

The OP has been told several times by those who work and Ford dealerships and KNOW about this stuff that without allocation you CANNOT order a car. Ford will reject all of them. His dealer is not trying to rip him off. His dealer tried to put the order in and hope for the best. But the order was rejected. If it truly was a case of them wanting more money from another buyer they would just ORDER ANOTHER car for that buyer IF (as some will have you believe) it has nothing to do with allocation.

A dealer could have 10 guys lined up with cash in hand and Ford will still reject every one of those orders. I know it makes no sense, I know it seems completely stupid or shortsighted on Ford's part but this is how it works and it has been this way for years.

Basically allocation and a retail order are the same thing. Allocation is how many cars the dealer is allowed to order. He can choose to wait for a retail order and order the car however the customer wants it or he can use the allocation for a dealer order and order the car how he wants it.

Dealer orders are always given the highest priority and are built before a retail order. That's why your car is going to take 12 weeks to be built.

If he did it as a dealer order it would be built much quicker.

Archived