TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CPC Hood Struts

I'm taking delivery of a 2012 SS in a few weeks and want to replace the OEM hood prop rod with hood struts. As of today SPP no longer carries Redline hood struts or any other hood strut for that matter and they tell me they don't know when the new ones will be in stock. I've heard horror stories about hood struts on the SS hood due to the extra weight the Fiberglas hood has over the KR or GT hood. I really want a bolt on strut has I have no appetite for drilling into the hood. I know CPC makes a strut already painted and with 90 pounds of pressure for the heavier hood. Has anybody tried this strut on their SS and have there been any problems or hood stress issues? The guy at Bangsterstang tells me the 90 pound strut works great and is a true bolt on for the 2012 SS. Any advice or experience would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

I'm taking delivery of a 2012 SS in a few weeks and want to replace the OEM hood prop rod with hood struts. As of today SPP no longer carries Redline hood struts or any other hood strut for that matter and they tell me they don't know when the new ones will be in stock. I've heard horror stories about hood struts on the SS hood due to the extra weight the Fiberglas hood has over the KR or GT hood. I really want a bolt on strut has I have no appetite for drilling into the hood. I know CPC makes a strut already painted and with 90 pounds of pressure for the heavier hood. Has anybody tried this strut on their SS and have there been any problems or hood stress issues? The guy at Bangsterstang tells me the 90 pound strut works great and is a true bolt on for the 2012 SS. Any advice or experience would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

I installed Cal Pony's about a years ago. Actually I (and JD from Champion Mustang) worked with Cal Pony to get the right pressure strut for the Super Snake hood. They work Great, look OEM and best of all No Drilling!!!

Picture1924-1.jpg

Picture1925-2.jpg

R

The 2012 hoods have no bolts for the struts to be attatched to because of the heat shield. The hood is extremely heavy and drilling will be required.

Is this an issue that started in 2012? Can you post pictures?

Thanks, Robert

I thought they discontinued prop rods after 2007. Shows you how much I don't know. Robert, that is a beautiful Super Snake shock tower stiffener bar. Shelby also makes caps that go over the nuts/bolts on top of the towers. Kind of makes things look a little more integrated.

I thought they discontinued prop rods after 2007. Shows you how much I don't know. Robert, that is a beautiful Super Snake shock tower stiffener bar. Shelby also makes caps that go over the nuts/bolts on top of the towers. Kind of makes things look a little more integrated.

Is this the kit?

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/5r3z-7w13296-bl.htm

Thanks, R

Yep that's the one!

Those are called caps, so I would guess that they slide over the strut studs and nuts and then maybe tighten on the threads that at above the nuts? The issue I see is that the two studs on each side that attach the STB have no threads above the nuts. Once the STB is in place the nuts that fasten it have no threads above them for any kind of cap to attach.

Does anyone have a picture of a STB installed, and these billet caps also installed?

R

Don't know when the hoods came out. Sorry I can't take pictures at the moment, I don't have the car at my house right now. The heat shield covers the entire underside of the hood.

I have seen the later Super Snake hoods with a black heat surface that appears to be sprayed on?

R

I have a pair of the Red Line Elites for my Super Snake hood but I could never bring myself to drilling the hood and thankfully I did not since the functional Super Snake hood is no longer available. I looked at my hood this evening and the holes used for the "bolt-on" Red Lines are not there, so even the bolt-on version will requires drilling on a Super Snake hood.

R

Archived